English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.KGLoad

Old 24 January 2009, 15:56   #1
Bloodwych

Who's tried KGLoad in the new ClassicWB packs?

Just wondered if anyone can offer some feedback to KillerGorilla for his new launcher, KGLoad.

It's now integrated into the new ClassicWB packs, both in Workbench and on the boot menus. It also can be launched from a RAD: device, so it loads after every reset.

The config file can be accessed via the Settings menus too. Just waiting for a nice art and picture pack.
Old 24 January 2009, 23:46   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Yup I use it on my Amiga in a suitcase...
Old 24 January 2009, 23:59   #3
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
the workbench startup script has a problem, it tries to assign to dh0: while you should use SYS: really. (I don't have a dh0

fixing that it crashes trying to read ram:t/kgload/startup.ini

where is startup.ini ?
Old 25 January 2009, 00:25   #4
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
the workbench startup script has a problem, it tries to assign to dh0: while you should use SYS: really. (I don't have a dh0

fixing that it crashes trying to read ram:t/kgload/startup.ini

where is startup.ini ?
It has to be DH0: in the RAD startup option (or whatever your partition is called) as SYS: will point to the RAD: disk for files as it denotes the boot partition.

The KGLoad startup file can be accessed via the Settings->Startup->WHDLoad menus, as too can the RAD startup scripts.

If there is something else you need, look in the S drawer. KGLoad is in the expansion drawer.
Old 25 January 2009, 06:14   #5
coze

ok, sorry if I didn't make it clear, KGLoad is trying to load a file which is not there. Something called startup.ini. I can't find it in expansion/KGLoad. it doesn't work without that file.

I'm using a fresh install of ADVSP (v24). can somebody else confirm ?

is there any configuration needed for KGLoad ? I just assumed it would work out of the box ?

Last edited by coze; 25 January 2009 at 06:36. Reason: added screenshot
Old 25 January 2009, 11:27   #6
Bloodwych

Hmmm, not sure what you may have changed.

Have a look in the error log contained in the SYS:Expansion/KGLoad directory.

I've just fired up a fresh ADVSP install, and it works fine. The only errors are the missing artwork files.

Your screenmode looks to be NTSC also. Is KGLoad compatible with NTSC? It might miss off some of the bottom part of the launcher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KGLoad_ADVSP.png
Views:	789
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	20023   Click image for larger version

Name:	KGLoad_ADVSP_Snoop.png
Views:	843
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	20024  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 25 January 2009 at 11:37.
Old 25 January 2009, 11:39   #7
coze

well I didn't change anything ? (not knowingly at least)

do you have the startup.ini file somewhere in your kgload directory ? if yes can you put it into the zone ?

yes I'm using NTSC mode on the winUAE and picasso96 on my real miggy. But problem persists even if I change to PAL (no startup.ini)
Old 25 January 2009, 11:52   #8
Bloodwych

It's not a missing startup.ini; that gets created in RAM:T after the program has been run, probably so next time it gets relaunched it goes back to the same state.

What you need to do is go to the Expansion/KGLoad drawer and look at the error.log file. My suspicion is that you need to change the Expansion/KGLoad/s/workbench-startup file, as it has a line to assign KGLoad: to "DH0:Expansion/KGLoad", and your partition isn't called DH0:

It does state in the install instructions that your first partition has to be named DH0: for full compatibility. Although I did try and use SYS: in 99% of all links, DH0: was required in certain circumstances and this will need changing in your case.
Old 25 January 2009, 12:10   #9
coze

Error log says : Fatal Error - Could not open screen.

Of course I already changed the workbench-startup fıle. without it changed the kgload: isn't set, kgload executable can't be found. This has nothing to do with me having dh3: instead of dh0:, I get the same error on winuae which has dh0: (and an unmodified workbench-startup for kgload).

PS : if you check my snoopdos output, startup.ini isn't being created after the program is run. It just creates the RAM:T/KGLoad and tries to access startup.ini in there (which doesn't exist)

right now I'm downloading the ADVSP pack again to see if I missed something.

Last edited by coze; 25 January 2009 at 12:15.
Old 25 January 2009, 12:12   #10
Bloodwych

Hmmm. Seems like a screen mode error of some sort, rather than a script problem. It's hard to guess what you have or haven't done, so I was just trying to run through everything related to it launching and hoping you would see or find a problem by looking at the files. It could be something to do with NTSC.

Try the latest beta WinUAE. It works my end, so there is nothing else I can really suggest.
Old 25 January 2009, 12:40   #11
coze

LOL. It turns out KGLoad is AGA only. I was setting up a ADVSP for my A3000 so I was always using ECS chipset. Not very cool ... Back to IGame I guess ...
Old 25 January 2009, 12:50   #12
Bloodwych

Oh well, at least we know what it is now. Problem solving is always a bit hit and miss on a forum, as many times people just assume the wrong stuff like me with the DH0: thing!

KGLoad will have an ECS version. It will be in gray scale (have a look at the screen shots here):

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=40613

Once it's released, I'll make it part of the install routine.
Old 25 January 2009, 12:55   #13
coze

naah ok I'll just have to wait and see then
Old 25 January 2009, 13:00   #14
Bloodwych

By the way, did you disable the copper background using the settings->components menu? Or the top menubar->tools->Copper?

Did you have to disable anything else?

Just wondered what you needed to change for an ECS machine.
Old 25 January 2009, 13:18   #15
coze

yes, I disabled copper, fblit ftext (do I need to disable them ? for ECS maybe yes for picasso ?) and I think that's about it.

how about FDC and BlazeWCP ? (By the way sorry your thread been kidnapped little bit )
Old 25 January 2009, 13:48   #16
Bloodwych

No problem, I sort of hijacked my own thread!

Anyway, the only things you need or can enable:

ENV Handler
Anticlick
Freewheel
TinyMeter
IconBeFast

The rest should be disabled. I'm sure BlazeWCP isn't required with P96, but if in doubt check the help drawer out! It can be accessed from the menubar Help->Other.

EDIT: FDC is the floppy disk cache - it gets enabled only when selected and will remain enabled until next reboot. Only enable this when you need to do floppy work and it will cache every read into memory.
Old 11 March 2009, 21:18   #17
Claw22000

I don't know if this is the right place for this but seems right. I've been working on restoring my A1200 and so far love the work you have put in to ClassicWB V24 absolute godsend for a noob Amigian. I'm listening to the mods on there now

I'm experiencing one problem. I've downloaded all the KGLoad packs to save time and I'm trying the games in WinUAE and then sending the zips of the ones I like over to the Real A1200. There I uncompressed with PackMaster (Typically do one letter at a time) all the files I sent, and in DOpus I move them all to the proper letter directory in the A-Games directory. Some of the games don't work on the real hardware and do in the emulation. I have set all the options in WinUAE to match actual hardware in the A1200. Heres the latest example...

I transferred Brutal Football. Awesome game on the EMU. its the AGA version. I go run it and it give me an error that the CD32 intro is missing. I didn't pick the CD32 version??? so I thought well the one on the PC was uncompressed there so I copied over the uncompressed version from PC and then the game works but doesn't accept the inputs correctly??? arrows put 1's and 0's and controller doesn't register at all????

Please help I've got to be doing something wrong.

P.S Admins if this isn't the right place for this please move this and tell me where it went to I can subscribe to correct thread thanks.
Old 04 May 2012, 03:50   #18
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
No problem, I sort of hijacked my own thread!

Anyway, the only things you need or can enable:

ENV Handler
Anticlick
Freewheel
TinyMeter
IconBeFast

The rest should be disabled. I'm sure BlazeWCP isn't required with P96, but if in doubt check the help drawer out! It can be accessed from the menubar Help->Other.

EDIT: FDC is the floppy disk cache - it gets enabled only when selected and will remain enabled until next reboot. Only enable this when you need to do floppy work and it will cache every read into memory.
Is it still in Classic WB cos I can't find it in the lite version..?
Old 25 January 2022, 15:06   #19
lineacero

Good morning to everybody.
Could someone share the Kgload program with me? My son has broken me my pendrive full of games,imagenes iff games and the kgload program, please,please

Last edited by lineacero; 26 January 2022 at 02:14.