English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 08 October 2020, 20:49   #1
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

List of NTSC compatible games?

Is there a list of Amiga games that have been made NTSC compatible via WHDLoad patching?

I know we can find actual NTSC region releases using HOL or WHDLoad pack naming however I've noticed many games will run fine on NTSC and it's not stated anywhere.
Old 08 October 2020, 21:34   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

ntsc/pal protection was common in Psygnosis releases. And whdload slaves for those games remove this protection.

I'm not aware of other work done in the slaves to make NTSC work when it didn't.
Old 08 October 2020, 21:46   #3
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
ntsc/pal protection was common in Psygnosis releases. And whdload slaves for those games remove this protection.

I'm not aware of other work done in the slaves to make NTSC work when it didn't.
I guess an example would be Desert Strike which runs better in NTSC but there doesn't seem to be an NTSC specific release.
Old 08 October 2020, 21:51   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

I see what you mean. on a higher CPU, using NTSC may add 20% speed to games using VBLANK to sync (which is most of them).

Well, a list could be a great idea, but I never saw any.
Old 08 October 2020, 23:41   #5
TjLaZer

I believe Retroplay went back and titled a lot of the US/NTSC titles as such. They are on the file server.
Old 09 October 2020, 00:03   #6
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
I believe Retroplay went back and titled a lot of the US/NTSC titles as such. They are on the file server.
Indeed he did. But I don't think that is the total sum of compatible NTSC games.
Old 09 October 2020, 00:14   #7
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Indeed he did. But I don't think that is the total sum of compatible NTSC games.
Yes for sure. Basically a lot of the early releases that do not open a PAL screen should work fine on NTSC. 1985-1988 or so the majority of software came form the USA, years after this most were from Europe and most were PAL. Some of these will work but of course you might the bottom of the screen. I remember in the late 80's I found I could run most PAL games on my NTSC Amiga 1000...
Old 09 October 2020, 14:48   #8
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Yes for sure. Basically a lot of the early releases that do not open a PAL screen should work fine on NTSC. 1985-1988 or so the majority of software came form the USA, years after this most were from Europe and most were PAL. Some of these will work but of course you might the bottom of the screen. I remember in the late 80's I found I could run most PAL games on my NTSC Amiga 1000...
I found games like James Pond which came out in 1990 have an NTSC mode although it was acting a bit strange on my WinUAE setup with slowdown and sprite flicker.
Old 10 October 2020, 15:10   #9
dreadnought

I'd love to see a lits of games of non-native games which work on NTSC without problems. Or alternatively games which have problems. It's a mammoth task though.

Eg I did try Monkey Island in NTSC yesterday and it seemed to work the same as PAL version - same gameplay and music speed. Is it possible that some games were "coded as dual" system?

Last edited by dreadnought; 10 October 2020 at 15:19.
Old 10 October 2020, 19:10   #10
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I'd love to see a lits of games of non-native games which work on NTSC without problems. Or alternatively games which have problems. It's a mammoth task though.

Eg I did try Monkey Island in NTSC yesterday and it seemed to work the same as PAL version - same gameplay and music speed. Is it possible that some games were "coded as dual" system?
I found the same to be true with Moonstone, works perfectly fine at 60Hz.

This is probably not a great rule to follow but my impression so far is if a game was released on "PC 320x200 60Hz" and the Amiga port is very similar or based on the PC version then there is a chance of it working at 60Hz