English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 February 2023, 14:19   #1
Megalomaniac

What are your favourite games with graphics and sound that are average or worse?

The Amiga's graphics and sound technology was ahead of its time, essentially combining the strengths of the C64 and the ST, going beyond either in terms of both the colour palette and what it could display at once. It was years until anything else really caught up. A lot of the games we fondly hark back to (Lionheart, Shadow of the Beast, Defender of the Crown) were the most stunning looking and sounding games on any system at their time.

And then there's those games which didn't stand out in terms of graphics or sound, but held our attention with gameplay. Magazines and the public sometimes overlooked them in favour of prettier games, with Amiga Power the only regular exception (look at how they eulogised over Dynablaster, Exile and Gravity Force 2, for example - although text-heavy games rarely appealed to them). At least on the action side, the technically stunning Amiga games are often the ones people focus on, with a few exceptions like Bubble Bobble, IK+ and Stunt Car Racer. Is this fair? I'd throw in Plutos, Poing (quite a few PD games, in general), Buggy Boy and Rodland as others which play a lot better than they look.

How much do people feel that the techncial side matters with Amiga games? Did it matter more in 1987 than 1993, or in 1993 than now?
Old 19 February 2023, 14:53   #2
Snoopy1234

It mattered that 16 bit games in 1987 were a way out of home. And now a way back to social contact or at least simulated contact like our young brains would experience it.

Re simple gfx/sfx, Black Lamp, Baron Baldric, Ice Palace and Skrull are all terrible but they're so different to everyday stereotypes that they're interesting.

Last edited by Snoopy1234; 19 February 2023 at 14:53. Reason: missing letter
Old 19 February 2023, 22:35   #3
khph_re

Chaos on the zx spectrum, or warlords on the amiga.

Both great strategy games ugly as sin, and sound like arse - chaos in particular.
Old 20 February 2023, 06:37   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Warlords is indeed pretty 'ugly' for an Amiga game, but I played it over and over again because the formula that made HOMM so popular is very addictive. I personally don't care too much how a game looks if it is fun to play. For example I played a lot of 'Die Drachen Von Laas' on the Amiga which is a text-adventure with still pics. I can still start the game and get back into it even today, so there is that
Old 20 February 2023, 13:46   #5
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Mega Twins is kinda plain compared to the Arcade & Mega Drive versions, but I still absolutely love the game, especially in two player!
Old 20 February 2023, 14:54   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Chip's Challenge, for sure. It sounds slightly better than the Lynx original (but still 8 bit quality) but somehow they managed to make the graphics worse even with bigger sprites and it has the audacity to slow down every now and then. Don't care though, loved it despite its many flaws.

All the Sierra adventure games, up to the point where they just became too slow to stomach.

Wonderboy in Monsterland. I don't understand the graphics that this game has, compared to the arcade version it looks like a letterbox format stretched out to widescreen. Really weird. Not the greatest game by far, but... yeah it was a platformer with minor RPG elements. There were not many games like it.

What else. I didn't really play all that many games I would consider ugly or average looking to be honest. Usually when a game looked drab, it was also not fun.
Old 20 February 2023, 15:07   #7
JanciB

Skyblaster
Old 20 February 2023, 15:18   #8
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Dogfight, the 4 player PD game and Wet Beaver Games.
Old 20 February 2023, 15:24   #9
chip

Prince Of Persia ?
Old 20 February 2023, 16:32   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Prince Of Persia ?
... no that game looks and sounds fantastic.
Old 21 February 2023, 14:19   #11
ImmortalA1000

Shit graphics AND sound, it better be a free PD game then, that's all I have to say. I suppose underwhelming coding goes into that package too, in which case you might as well have bought a much cheaper computer if you are happy with that sort of thing
Old 21 February 2023, 14:45   #12
Legerdemain

Like I mentioned in the Now Playing thread... Kid Gloves looks rather shit, but actually plays really well.
Old 21 February 2023, 16:08   #13
grond

Once of the dullest looking games of the 80s is a classic: "Thrust". I played it a lot on the C64 and still believe that games with just a few colours and basic shapes have a place if the gameplay is good. And if the gameplay isn't good, graphics can't cut it either. I believe Thrust never got ported to the Amiga.
Old 21 February 2023, 16:21   #14
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Manhunter: New York & Manhunter 2: San Francisco.

Despite the horrible graphics and even worse colour palette, not to mention the countless of crappy action sequences, the atmosphere of these games was phenomenal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	244
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	78192  
Old 21 February 2023, 16:51   #15
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Manhunter: New York & Manhunter 2: San Francisco.

Despite the horrible graphics and even worse colour palette, not to mention the countless of crappy action sequences, the atmosphere of these games was phenomenal.
Agree, amazing oppressive atmosphere.
Old 21 February 2023, 17:53   #16
Kagesan

Generally speaking, games that valued style over substance were much more prevalent on the Amiga than the opposite.

If we count PD games, Roboter deserves a mention. It had the crudest of graphics, even by PD standards, but was tremendous fun in multiplayer.

Among commercially released games, Impact (also known as Blockbuster) comes to mind. It looks as basic as it gets, but it plays brilliantly. In a genius move, it replaces Arkanoid's random powerups with generic tokens that fuel a Gradius-style powerup system, thus turning an element of luck into one of skill and strategy.

http://hol.abime.net/2616
Old 21 February 2023, 19:20   #17
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
Shit graphics AND sound, it better be a free PD game then, that's all I have to say. I suppose underwhelming coding goes into that package too, in which case you might as well have bought a much cheaper computer if you are happy with that sort of thing
Why? Games are entertainment first and foremost. It doesn't matter how good a game looks and sounds if it has fundamental gameplay flaws, you'll still only load it a few times. Is every Amiga game better than every C64 game, despite the leap in hardware power? If it's purely about graphics and sound, why would anyone play PS4 games (let alone PS3 or earlier) now that the PS5 is out?
Old 21 February 2023, 22:06   #18
Fiery Phoenix

Thrust (C64 - still one of my fave games of all time and a cheapo title too)

Amiga wise - Gravity Force, Kick Off 2, Tanx, Zany Golf
Old 21 February 2023, 23:05   #19
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Oh yeah, Mean 18! Don't like golf games, but somehow Mean 18 did it for me. But oof did it look like ass.
Old 23 February 2023, 21:01   #20
A500

I thought Thrust looked really cool (and still do) I still give it a go sometimes. Great game.

On the Amiga, three favourites that didn't win prizes for graphics:

Moria
Empire
Campaign

All of these also crashed randomly every now and then, but it didn't stop me playing the heck out of them!