English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 August 2021, 14:56   #181
breech

Death Mask is confirmed - 1mb chip is required for samples.
Extra info: 1mb total required to run, slow ram isn't required, can use multiple drives, all roms ok.

Mega-Lo-Mania is confirmed - 1mb required for in game music and preloading.
Extra info: Slow ram isn't required, can use multiple drives, roms 1.2, 1.3 are ok 2.0x and 3.1 need extra ram for multiple drives (weird!)

Perihelion - extra ram isn't used.
Extra info: 1mb total required to run, slow ram isn't required, can use multiple drives, make save disk in-game, all roms ok.

Last edited by breech; 18 August 2021 at 15:02.
Old 26 August 2021, 19:46   #182
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Thanks for the recent additions folks, I shall update the list.
It's great to see them being used with HOL.
Old 26 August 2021, 23:17   #183
rothers

I used to have a side 8MB expansion and games which loaded in to RAM game a much more console like experience, I'm pretty sure Mortal Kombat loaded the whole game in to RAM, and I assume MK2 would have too?

Whenever I see youtube comments saying 'it was rubbish, loading for ages' etc. I always think it's a bit unfair on the old Amiga, you'd not judge an old PC game like that.
Old 26 August 2021, 23:26   #184
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'm pretty sure the same people would shit on old PC games for having PC speaker sounds, crap scrolling and a garish color palette
Old 27 August 2021, 00:00   #185
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
Whenever I see youtube comments saying 'it was rubbish, loading for ages' etc. I always think it's a bit unfair on the old Amiga, you'd not judge an old PC game like that.
Depends on what the PC game specification is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I'm pretty sure the same people would shit on old PC games for having PC speaker sounds, crap scrolling and a garish color palette
I always shit on beepy speaker sounds and garish colour palettes, especially when it's a literal speaker and CGA crap.

The Amiga gets a pass from me on the things rothers mentioned because the basic Amiga spec is infinitely superior to CGA and even EGA, and basically, the PC should do better in those regards.
Old 27 August 2021, 03:41   #186
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
Loading via floppies took ridiculously long. Even if you had an HDD on the Amiga it's not like you could install games to it. Sure in modern times we have WHDLoad but floppy loading is one of the worst things that came with gaming on the Amiga.
I used to copy a floppy image to RAD: and try to play it that way just to avoid having to wait for floppies. This worked a fair amount.
Old 27 August 2021, 12:04   #187
Seiya

Das Boot run on 512k machine, but it require 512k fast to have full audio and better audio quality.
Old 27 August 2021, 13:17   #188
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post

What I meant was when you see playthroughs of old PC games they tend to be on a bit of a beefed up PC, you don't see playthroughs on like a 286 with CGA, so I'd rather Amiga games, if they supported extra RAM, be shown like that, as the game was intended to be seen.
Old 27 August 2021, 13:33   #189
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
Das Boot run on 512k machine, but it require 512k fast to have full audio and better audio quality.
Added and confirmed.

EDIT: A bunch more confirmations added. The HOL manuals making this much easier.

Last edited by lordofchaos; 27 August 2021 at 13:52.
Old 27 August 2021, 21:06   #190
Seiya

about settlers when i tried i saw that With 1 MB of RAM shared between Chip and Fast, there is no music, no all the sound effects such as bird chirping and even not all the animations like the wind effect on the trees.
With 1,5 MB or 2 MB (but at least 1 MB chip RAM) the game has any animations, sounds and music.
Old 25 September 2021, 07:52   #191
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Harlequin (1992) (Gremlin) requires additional memory to benefit from music and sfx simultaneously. Else, it's only one of these. Mention of said benefit can be found in the Keyboard Controls section of the manual.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 25 September 2021 at 08:41.
Old 25 September 2021, 21:15   #192
SquawkBox

Ok, a few more games :

Carlos (1994) (Microïds) requires additional memory to benefit from music and sfx simultaneously. Else, it's only one of these.

Crack Out v1.4 (1992) (C. Hodges) check picture I took, no idea about the alleged benefit that the extra ram would bring though, btw game entry is missing from Hall Of Light, maybe someone can fix this

SWIV (1991) (Storm) check picture I took, again, no idea about the alleged benefit that the extra ram would bring

Last edited by SquawkBox; 06 October 2021 at 15:16.
Old 06 October 2021, 20:12   #193
SquawkBox

Great Courts II aka Pro Tennis Tour II (1991) (Ubi Soft) creates a RAM disk with 1 MB chip, hence reduced load times I presume, check underneath picture :

Old 07 October 2021, 16:32   #194
SquawkBox

Powder (1998) (Verkosoft)

HOL foot notes mention :
Quote:
The game uses extra chip RAM for additional sound effects and other memory for shorter loading times.
Old 14 October 2021, 17:14   #195
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Nice additions. Added.
Old 15 October 2021, 05:14   #196
SquawkBox

Don't mention it! As per Tubular Worlds, I guess it loads and plays fine on an A500 with 0.5 MB Slow RAM, but if I switch my machine to a mere 0.5 MB Chip RAM config, the game won't load at all. I noticed this after having tested one of the Prodigy versions (the one which features the +1 trainer).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 19 October 2021 at 06:47.
Old 20 October 2021, 02:23   #197
SquawkBox

Gold Rush (1989) (Sierra) A 1 meg machine will cache several screens.
Source : Amiga Computing review
Old 23 October 2021, 11:52   #198
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Loading via floppies took ridiculously long. Even if you had an HDD on the Amiga it's not like you could install games to it. Sure in modern times we have WHDLoad but floppy loading is one of the worst things that came with gaming on the Amiga.
I used to copy a floppy image to RAD: and try to play it that way just to avoid having to wait for floppies. This worked a fair amount.

Fortunately larger games were mostly American games (e.g. from Sierra and Lucasarts), and most of those could be installed to HD. It's interesting how US games mostly went for manual/codewheel protection and were HD installable (either with an installer or a simple manual volume assign), whereas European games mostly leaned on floppy-based protection (though sometimes they included manual lookup too for some reason).
Old 24 October 2021, 12:16   #199
Jami
Bruno

Probably because Sierra and Lucasarts games were also very popular on PC compatibles, which were equiped with HD in the early 90'.
Old 27 November 2021, 12:11   #200
SquawkBox

McDonald Land (1992) (Virgin)
Game assets stored into memory if 1mb is available.
Proof :

Be aware that some cracked versions do require 1mb (and skip the loading screen).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 09 November 2022 at 15:04.