Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 September 2021, 18:46   #21
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
in any case it is better not to get too scattered among the threads
I had no idea Extrial did fall into that category, honest. It would help if I had another miggy bearing original chipset to conduct tests with e.q. an A2000 but the machine I described is the only I've got due to lack of room. Dlfrsilver has one, but he's a busy man. If I suspect yet another game to stop loading because of 1 MB chip, I will subsequently post in that thread, no worries.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 11 September 2021 at 16:04.
Old 27 September 2021, 16:14   #22
SquawkBox

Dragons Of Flame (1989) (SSI) fails to load with 1 MB chip, but works fine with 0.5 MB chip tops (presumably, said RPG would work fine with slow ram in addition to the standard half meg of chip mem).
Old 18 October 2021, 11:44   #23
SquawkBox

Police Quest II (1990) (Sierra), the game won't work with 1 MB chip (can't get past scuba diver animation). As it is, it requires at least 0.5 MB slow ram to work properly. Problem easily reproduced in WinUAE with slow ram disabled in mem tab.
Old 19 October 2021, 00:51   #24
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@SquawkBox : Would you mind giving a go with 'Death Trap' ? It's one of these original that never worked on my 1MB chip A2000 BitD.
Old 19 October 2021, 03:45   #25
SquawkBox

No problem at all loading and playing Death Trap on my A500 with default config (the whole MEG of chip ram enabled). Took care of the conversion from IPF to HFE v3 format meself just in case some of the cracked versions do bear a hack capable of increasing compatibility.
Old 19 October 2021, 12:26   #26
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thank you for the test. So maybe it seems my original was defective from day one
Old 02 January 2022, 19:34   #27
SquawkBox

Black Tiger (1990) (U.S. Gold), the game won't work with 1 MB chip. As it is, the additional chip ram prevents the game from loading data, past the cracktro screen. Problem can easily be reproduced in WinUAE with slow ram disabled in mem tab.
Old 08 July 2022, 20:55   #28
retrogamer
Zone Friend

How do I apply beach bootblock to streetrod 2 it seemsthe game crach with fastmem.

Quote:
Street Rod fixed into the Zone!
I simply added my 'beach bootblock'.

Anyway I've updated the bootblock to v3 [street version].
Changes:
- leaves active extra floppy drives (of course consume a bit of chip-ram)
- support also machine with KS1.3 and ECS 1MB Agnus*
- more [fake]fast-ram available to games (seems Street Rod use it as a cache, so the more the better; before was 768+256KB**, now 512+512KB)

Obviously if you have 2MB of chip-ram the extra megabyte is used, and as well if you also have real or ranger fast-ram and with higher priority.

EDIT:
* stupid KS1.3 destroy reset-proof programs if you have 1MB chip-ram
The previous version was born mainly for A500+ or higher (so KS1.3/1MBc was not a concern), now it is more generic

** this was chosen because often what was simply required was free chip-ram at low locations (KS2.0+ use more of it at boot), so very little fast-ram was enough
Actually the boot-block also contains my 'addchip' which frees up low memory by allocating only a bitplane for CLI, so maybe 512+512KB also works for other games
If it wasn't, use v2
Old 08 July 2022, 21:00   #29
fryguy

Iirc to get Best of the best to run on A500+ I had to use fakefast.
Old 11 July 2022, 12:33   #30
SquawkBox

Just loaded the IPF (converted to HFE v1) of Best Of the Best on my 1 MB A500, the game seems to run fine with 1.3 KS as well as with 3.1 KS (I can switch from one to the other).
Old 11 July 2022, 12:50   #31
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Just loaded the IPF (converted to HFE v1) of Best Of the Best on my 1 MB A500, the game seems to run fine with 1.3 KS as well as with 3.1 KS (I can switch from one to the other).
It was ages ago I tried it, could have been that particular crack maybe.
Old 11 July 2022, 14:27   #32
SquawkBox

My rule of thumb is give a try to HFEv1, if it doesn't work then delete HFE's and convert IPF's to HFEv3. Some IPF's don't like HFEv3, it cannot be considered de facto IPF convert format for gotek's.

Case in point, there are other games besides Best Of the Best which require HFEv1 e.q. World Games. If you're brave enough (if you don't mind a discussion being carried in a somehow heavy handed manner, that is), you can check the following thread in which I am misled, before realizing the issue I faced with a couple of games could be solved by converting to HFEv1 instead :

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108223
Old 11 July 2022, 18:13   #33
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalDe73 View Post
I have only 2 exceptions... were didn't works... The 1St is mission Elevator SPS 1282 and I can remember the 2nd...
Garrison I & II I presume ? 'cause if it's not Garrison, then there is a third one (or a fourth one, in case one considers Garrison I & II to be two different games). Please let us know as soon as you remember that second one.

Btw, I am a registered HxC user , it's just that FF came with my gotek so I though, what the heck, let's keep it that way.
Old 13 July 2022, 16:11   #34
SquawkBox

About HxC being better than FF, could be although I think it's safer if we take that to PM. I use my machine to play a game once in a while these days, and I still don't feel cheated for using FF in that perspective. If you think you can convince me, no problem at all.

If an original game loads in WinUAE, but fails in Gotek (as HFEv1 or v3), it implies it is related to Gotek limitations. If a game (such as Top Wrestling) fails in WinUAE and in Gotek, it implies there is something wrong with the IPF indeed. Maybe not a single pristine physical copy of that game was found, first time I hear about it btw.

Garrison was sold as two separate games but also as a pack with intro disk + each scenario written on a separate disk (the latter was preserved recently after I had suggested Denis to buy that original). Each and everyone of them fail (trigger copy protection) in Gotek because of a "dent" (check corresponding threads for a more complete explanation).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 13 July 2022 at 19:50.
Old 14 November 2022, 23:40   #35
SquawkBox

Xenophobe, here is another game which the Gotek might have issues with. On my 1 MB A500, HFE v3 images of said game as converted from IPF stop loading upon disk change.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 13 March 2024 at 11:29.
Old 28 March 2023, 20:44   #36
kalu666

Quote:
Street Rod fixed into the Zone!
I simply added my 'beach bootblock'.

Anyway I've updated the bootblock to v3 [street version].
Changes:
- leaves active extra floppy drives (of course consume a bit of chip-ram)
- support also machine with KS1.3 and ECS 1MB Agnus*
- more [fake]fast-ram available to games (seems Street Rod use it as a cache, so the more the better; before was 768+256KB**, now 512+512KB)

Obviously if you have 2MB of chip-ram the extra megabyte is used, and as well if you also have real or ranger fast-ram and with higher priority.

EDIT:
* stupid KS1.3 destroy reset-proof programs if you have 1MB chip-ram
The previous version was born mainly for A500+ or higher (so KS1.3/1MBc was not a concern), now it is more generic

** this was chosen because often what was simply required was free chip-ram at low locations (KS2.0+ use more of it at boot), so very little fast-ram was enough
Actually the boot-block also contains my 'addchip' which frees up low memory by allocating only a bitplane for CLI, so maybe 512+512KB also works for other games
If it wasn't, use v2
This is not an "aga fix" right? because the drive section is corrupted on a1200 (i think is the same issue in street rod 2)
Old 13 March 2024, 11:47   #37
SquawkBox

Quote:
Xenophobe, here is another game which the Gotek might have issues with. On my 1 MB A500, HFE v3 images of said game as converted from IPF stop loading upon disk change.
Same with Jaguar XJ220, Gotek won't recognize disk change with cracked version, also mentioned here. No problem with HFE v3 though.
Btw, is there some interest for a separate thread to provide a non exhaustive list of games that fail to work with FF'ed Gotek, whether cracked of original ? I mean, it should not be perceived as a support thread, and of course HxC users would be welcomed (but would not fuel "such firmware is better than the other" debate).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 13 March 2024 at 13:41.
Old 20 March 2024, 17:40   #38
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Police Quest II (1990) (Sierra), the game won't work with 1 MB chip (can't get past scuba diver animation). As it is, it requires at least 0.5 MB slow ram to work properly. Problem easily reproduced in WinUAE with slow ram disabled in mem tab.
Attached a bootblock to fix Police Quest II.
It's a variation of the various BBs I made for machines with 1MB chip RAM only (basically my addchip+fakefast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalu666 View Post
This is not an "aga fix" right? because the drive section is corrupted on a1200 (i think is the same issue in street rod 2)
Not an AGA fix.
From what I remember I've only fixed Street Rod 2.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PQII.BB.zip (659 Bytes, 4 views)
Old 20 March 2024, 19:47   #39
stx2199

Double dragon 2 original version and cracks don't work on the A600 or the A500+

but there is a new official version which supposedly it works