English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 November 2019, 10:43   #1
liquidsmoke

Some questions about Gotek drives.

- can you copy an ADF from your amiga onto the gotek drive?

- can you use ISO images with a gotek drive?

- how does a gotek handle games that save to floppy disk?
Old 05 November 2019, 10:55   #2
Gordon
Settler

1. Not directly. You can in theory have a blank adf on the gotek and write an adf located on your amiga to the blank disk on the gotek.

2. No

3. Same a a normal disk drive. Change your gotek slot number to one containing an adf you want to use. You can use winuae to create blank adfs or overwrite an old adf you have
Old 05 November 2019, 11:26   #3
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
- can you copy an ADF from your amiga onto the gotek drive?
There might be different interpretations of what you mean here. Give an exact example of what you are trying to do.

Quote:
- can you use ISO images with a gotek drive?
No. The Gotek is for emulating a floppy drive, not a CDROM drive.

Quote:
- how does a gotek handle games that save to floppy disk?
You can have a 'blank' image file and you switch to. Depending on the game, you will need this in a specific format - either a blank AmigaDOS formatted disk, of the game will format it for you.

However, please bear in mind that some games require an extended ADF image file (HFE) - like Cannon Fodder for example.

There is a Cannon Fodder Save disk image that can be readily downloaded from:

https://github.com/keirf/FF_Images/b...ster/README.md
Old 05 November 2019, 11:47   #4
liquidsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
There might be different interpretations of what you mean here. Give an exact example of what you are trying to do.

create an ADF of my old amiga data disks on my a1200

plug gotek into amiga
transfer adfs to the gotek
Old 05 November 2019, 11:59   #5
solarmon

Quote:
create an ADF of my old amiga data disks on my a1200

plug gotek into amiga
transfer adfs to the gotek
OK, so you can't transfer direct to the USB stick of the Gotek drive on the Amiga.

You can 'copy' the ADF file to a 'blank' ADF file on the Gotek using something like TSGui, but this will be bit cumbersome and slow for more than 1 file.

I would suggest you use a CF card in the PCMCIA slot to transfer the ADF files on to a PC/Mac and copy the ADF files to the USB stick from there.

Alternatively, have a look at the Greaseweazle project by Keir Fraser - the same author as for FlashFloppy (used on the Gotek) and Amiga Test Kit. This allows you to use a low cost PC floppy drive connected to your PC/Mac/Linux machine (via a low cost Blue Pill STM32 board) and you can read your Amiga disks from there, and then convert to ADF to be used on the Gotek. For bulk processing of floppy disks, this might be a better option.

https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle

Last edited by solarmon; 05 November 2019 at 12:05.
Old 05 November 2019, 12:06   #6
Gordon
Settler

Dont listen to this mug. Get this
https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...oducts_id=1213
Take your USB drive out of your gotek, plug it into this. Transfer the files. Plug it back into the gotek and have plenty of fun!
Old 05 November 2019, 12:24   #7
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Dont listen to this mug. Get this
https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...oducts_id=1213
Take your USB drive out of your gotek, plug it into this. Transfer the files. Plug it back into the gotek and have plenty of fun!

I'm a £112.96 better off mug!

Edit: Oh, don't forget the £9.95 for the A1200 backplate too!
Old 05 November 2019, 15:32   #8
liquidsmoke

the rapidroad looks very good, but i feel £112 for just transfering a handful of adfs is a bit excessive and i cant really justify the expense.

i think ill try the blank adf method as its the cheapest.

cant use my pcmcia slot anymore with 8mb of ram unless im constantly flipping the jumpers around. which is inconvenient tbh.
Old 05 November 2019, 16:01   #9
solarmon

Quote:
cant use my pcmcia slot anymore with 8mb of ram unless im constantly flipping the jumpers around. which is inconvenient tbh.
For my 4MB/8MB memory card, I connect the pin headers to a toggle switch using some Dupont cables/connectors. It doesn't really need to be mounted anywhere, just accessible through the trapdoor slot.

The problem with the blank ADF method, is that you can't rename the ADF file from the Gotek itself, so you'll eventually need to get the USB stick back to a PC/Mac/Linux machine anyways.
Old 13 November 2019, 07:05   #10
lesta_smsc

Quote:
the rapidroad looks very good, but i feel £112 for just transfering a handful of adfs is a bit excessive and i cant really justify the expense.

i think ill try the blank adf method as its the cheapest.

Depending on the board (as I have seen some without), a jumper as mentioned by solarmon can help with the PCMCIA issue for switching between 4MB/8MB, although was this not only an issue with KS 3.1 (as apparently there is no issue with memory allocation in KS 3.0). My preference would be to attach a switch to points instead of the jumper and simply run the wires to come out of the vents at the top of the Amiga (or you could drill the case and attach it properly at the back (like how people used to put a switch for their dual kickstarts)...