English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 July 2023, 23:37   #81
kempy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
I'll add the keyboard layout to the readme for reference. BTW, I hope the new 040 version will perform better, I rebuilt it from the latest sources.
Performance is nearly same (displayed FPS), but now with music! Is there possibility to turn off music?
Old 25 July 2023, 23:49   #82
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
I don't understand how Estrayk's 060 50Mhz (Trinity 1260) runs this game significantly faster than my TF1260 at 50Mhz, even when chipmem and fastram bustest results are bit faster on TF1260.

For example, Estraya's video shows 20fps when facing this wall, but my system rests at 13-14 fps at the same place.
I checked again and the fps are correct. Its a real A1200 with 060/50 AGA
AmigaOS 3.2.2.1
copymemaio
blazewcp
native driver
AHI 4.18
CAMD

maybe the difference is that I use real MIDI via CAMD?
maybe the blazeWCP?
see the new video:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 July 2023, 00:13   #83
Calabazam

Hi.

I am on holidays and can't test this awesome release righ now.

However, i would like to know if anyone tested it with a Vampire V2 in AGA or RTG.
I played DF on Shapeshifter either with 68060 AGA (playable but barely), 68060 RTG (better but still slow) and Vampire RTG (nicely playable).
CAMD support is great.
Old 26 July 2023, 01:21   #84
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Still have a physical copy of DF for PC (BigBox CD ROM)
Only good until your last CD-ROM no longer works

@BSzili Congrats on the port, are these becoming easier and quicker now that you have done a few big ports?

What's your criteria before you start on a port? i.e This game should run on a 040 so maybe I'll try this port or is it because you would like to play the game on the Amiga?
Old 26 July 2023, 04:27   #85
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
I checked again and the fps are correct. Its a real A1200 with 060/50 AGA
AmigaOS 3.2.2.1
copymemaio
blazewcp
native driver
AHI 4.18
CAMD

maybe the difference is that I use real MIDI via CAMD?
maybe the blazeWCP?
see the new video:

[ Show youtube player ]
I use exactly same setup, including CAMD MIDI. Also MMULibs for 060 library and MuFastROM. The game runs consistantly 5fps faster on your system, 33% increase at same clock speed.

If you have time to help me figuring out why, I attached my AIBB v6.8 benchmark module for comparison.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TF_1260_50_Module.zip (887 Bytes, 30 views)
Old 26 July 2023, 06:48   #86
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
However, i would like to know if anyone tested it with a Vampire V2 in AGA or RTG.
I played DF on Shapeshifter either with 68060 AGA (playable but barely), 68060 RTG (better but still slow) and Vampire RTG (nicely playable).
CAMD support is great.

Runs great on V1200-V2 AGA and RTG. Even on V600-V2 with RTG.
Old 26 July 2023, 07:28   #87
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Seems very smooth to me on a TF1260/63. I'm not going to run it at 100mhz as it's fine as is. I will activate the frame counter next time.

I have this weird thing where I start to move about my myself after using the right should button to side step. I have to press it a few times to snap out of it. Using PS1 controller and adapter on my A1200. Adapter is set to behave as cd32 pad.

Also do I have to do something to get music running?

Very impress so far, can't believe how smooth it runs without any extra 060 over clocking.
Your adapter might be sending some impossible input that confuses lowlevel.library, you can verify this using JoyPortTest. Let me know if you see anything similar in the test program.
For the music you need either the MIDI_Instruments file linked in the first post, or some kind of external synth that can be driven via CAMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
I just tested the ForceEngine port on my A3000 and was more than just a little impressed how well it runs. Last time I've played this game was on ShapeShifter way back and the Mac version didn't do too well.

I got between 35 and 45 FPS in the first two levels on my A3000 (BFG9060@100 MHz and CV64).

What I couldn't get to work was settings menus (maybe not implemented/enabled yet?). I also noticed that I start without any weapons when loading a level >1 from the main menu (maybe that is part of the original game experience, which I in all honesty don't remember).
You should be starting with all your stuff from the previous mission you finished. Please send me your DARKPILO.CFG so I can have a closer look at this. The Configuration menu is currently not implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy View Post
Performance is nearly same (displayed FPS), but now with music! Is there possibility to turn off music?
Hmm, the synth is probably negating any benefits. If you don't have CAMD you can set midiType=0, and the MIDI thread will be sleeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Only good until your last CD-ROM no longer works

@BSzili Congrats on the port, are these becoming easier and quicker now that you have done a few big ports?

What's your criteria before you start on a port? i.e This game should run on a 040 so maybe I'll try this port or is it because you would like to play the game on the Amiga?
TFE has pretty clean sources, plus I have a lot of code accumulated I can go back to. Most of my time was spent on the BE fixes, MIDI synth and the renderer, the work on the latter is still ongoing.
My criteria is pretty much that. If I like the game, it could run on my system and of course the source code is available I'll give it a shot eventually.
Old 26 July 2023, 09:56   #88
Seiya

Quote:
i see another difference in the screenshot.
in that in the left: 51,01 ms 19 fps
in that in the right: 13 fps (72,06 ms)

why this difference in showing the same information (are printed on the screen in different way)?

maybe one of you use a different version of Dark Forces
Old 26 July 2023, 10:28   #89
rabidgerry

Quote:
Your adapter might be sending some impossible input that confuses lowlevel.library, you can verify this using JoyPortTest. Let me know if you see anything similar in the test program.
For the music you need either the MIDI_Instruments file linked in the first post, or some kind of external synth that can be driven via CAMD.
Ahh yes, I tested this for Death Rally and from memory it was all good. I'll try it again though.
Old 26 July 2023, 11:12   #90
edd_jedi

Quote:
weird, in A1200 060/50 runs fine, check:
[ Show youtube player ]
Is that a real Amiga or emulated though? I will try mine with the FPS counter on, it's not a lot worse than yours.
Old 26 July 2023, 11:22   #91
tomcat666
Retro Freak

btw. all the DOS cheats work perfectly on this port:

https://www.gamespot.com/games/star-...forces/cheats/

Running on pistorm32, basically the same regardless where you are standing, it is 61 FPS on RTG:

And 58 FPS on RGB out AGA NTSC (I think this is the supposed aspect ratio ?):

Is support for higher resolutions planned?

Last edited by tomcat666; 26 July 2023 at 11:32.
Old 26 July 2023, 11:30   #92
edd_jedi

Just tried with the FPS counter on and I'm getting sub 10FPS. Should be higher on a Cyberstorm MKII 060/50MHz with 128MB RAM? Also using a Picasso II RTG card if that would make a difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3766.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	889.0 KB
ID:	79729
Old 26 July 2023, 11:41   #93
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Gameplay (not very good at it) on NTSC AGA RGB output with pistorm32 :

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 July 2023, 13:02   #94
rabidgerry

Got the sound working at least, controller still goes mad when using that shoulder button. Might try a higher clock speed later.
Old 26 July 2023, 14:00   #95
rabidgerry

Tested joyporttest and to me it seems to be functioning fine.
Old 26 July 2023, 14:56   #96
Estrayk

Quote:
I use exactly same setup, including CAMD MIDI. Also MMULibs for 060 library and MuFastROM. The game runs consistantly 5fps faster on your system, 33% increase at same clock speed.

If you have time to help me figuring out why, I attached my AIBB v6.8 benchmark module for comparison.
All tests are similar, except memtest. I attach the capture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto 26-7-23, 14 54 08.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	79730  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Trinity_1260_Module.zip (870 Bytes, 35 views)

Last edited by Estrayk; 26 July 2023 at 15:07.
Old 26 July 2023, 17:26   #97
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Is support for higher resolutions planned?
For now it's not planned, as I'm focusing my efforts on the original fixed-point renderer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Just tried with the FPS counter on and I'm getting sub 10FPS. Should be higher on a Cyberstorm MKII 060/50MHz with 128MB RAM? Also using a Picasso II RTG card if that would make a difference.
That's definitely too slow, you should be getting at least 15 fps on average. You might want to try forcing NTSC or PAL modes to rule out any RTG-related problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Got the sound working at least, controller still goes mad when using that shoulder button. Might try a higher clock speed later.
I think I found the problem. The way I implemented the strafe toggling is kind of a hack, but I'll try to find a workaround.

Quote:
All tests are similar, except memtest. I attach the capture.
Memory speed could account for the difference, the low level drawing functions are completely memory bound.
Old 26 July 2023, 17:30   #98
kempy

Quote:
Hmm, the synth is probably negating any benefits. If you don't have CAMD you can set midiType=0, and the MIDI thread will be sleeping.
Without music i got like 1FPS more. But without any "demo-run" benchmark it's hard to verify.
Old 26 July 2023, 19:15   #99
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I uploaded a new version to fix a few controls issues. The CD32 pad strafe button issue should be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy View Post
Without music i got like 1FPS more. But without any "demo-run" benchmark it's hard to verify.
Yeah, if there's no noticeable benefit then it's not enough either way. The renderer needs more work.
Old 26 July 2023, 19:29   #100
edd_jedi

Quote:
That's definitely too slow, you should be getting at least 15 fps on average. You might want to try forcing NTSC or PAL modes to rule out any RTG-related problem.
Sorry could you please explain how to do this? I saw the different options in your first post (FORCEMODE) but unsure where to enter this.