English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 November 2009, 23:11   #1
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Adding SCSI Port to A1200 for External Devices

Hi,

Before I buy yet more Amiga kit lol hope someone can offer me some advice.

I will soon be the proud owner of one of these lovely Typhoon Mk2 Accelerators for my A1200

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search....c&pid=#taifun2

It has a built in SCSI controller and a 50 Pin header, if I purchase the two below items,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/StarConn-SCSI-...item414a3bc1b3

Will this enable me to use external devices such as a SCSI CDROM drive?

I plan to fix the the bracket in the empty space at the rear of the Amiga which has a small cover, I will probably need to cut the bracket and drill 2 small holes in it and the Amiga case and fix with screws. I then plan to connect this to the accelerator card with the cable, will this work?

Sorry I am still a bit of a Noob when it comes to the Amiga, learning all the time with the help of this forum.

Also drivers... Are these built into Classic WB ADV SP? This is the OS I am using.

Thanks in advance, also if anyone can suggest another solution to my problem that shouldn't exist I would love to hear!

Innitially I was thinking of using a slimline internal CD ROM out of a laptop but this would need to much modding of the case for my level of skill.

Steve.
Old 03 November 2009, 23:24   #2
asm1

Boo! Me again! -You wont get rid of me now.....

Rather than Buy the cables and the header (I'm not sure - the stuff you have listed MIGHT work) but 68 pin headers may not be what you are after (albeit you can get a cable to go from the header to whatever different pin outs (I do it with an old SCSI scanner on my PC, 50 pin to D-Type connector...but again thats PC not sure how Amiga SCSI works yet)

Would it not be better to look for the drive you want to connect FIRST, and then work out what connections you need from there?
Old 03 November 2009, 23:30   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks for the reply.

I dont have a drive yet, but thought that there would be a standard port, guess there is not by the looks of things.

I wanted to get the port setup in the Amiga first so that when I do get the drive I can plug it straight in, guess its not as easy as that...

I've never had the pleasure of setting up SCSI devices all my PC's have been IDE/USB and more recently SATA so this is why I don't have much knowledge in that area.

Steve.
Old 03 November 2009, 23:34   #4
asm1

Also Amigakit sell a modified PC ATX PSU with an A1200 square connector on it.

Why is this good ?

It is 250 watt which will cope with all your devices....

It also has all the PC connectors for power /molex etc so you can run an Internal PC drive externally I did this with an internal CD-Rom, that I ran externally with my Desktop A1200 before putting all the bits in a tower.

OR - If you have a spare ATX PSU they also sell a ATX----> A1200 adapter which allows you to use an internal PC PSU externally with the A1200 - it just provides an adapter and the square amiga connector. (I actually have a spare of these adapters ..... if the Idea appeals....)

I don't work for Amigakit and I'm not pushing to sell my crap lol just trying to think of stuff that might be useful for what you are trying to do.

Andrew

Last edited by asm1; 03 November 2009 at 23:40.
Old 03 November 2009, 23:54   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I'd be interested in that adapter you have as I have a spare ATX PSU.

Got plenty of PC spares lol... Shame I gave away a nice 250w PSU recently that would have been ideal. My other spare is a 550w would that be too powerful?

Let me know if you want me to send you some extra $$$ for the cable.

Cheers.

Steve.
Old 04 November 2009, 12:40   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Does anyone else have any advice/opinions re: my original post?

Thought I would give this a bump since I originally posted it in the wrong place, my bad.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 04 November 2009, 12:53   #7
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I'd be interested in that adapter you have as I have a spare ATX PSU.

Got plenty of PC spares lol... Shame I gave away a nice 250w PSU recently that would have been ideal. My other spare is a 550w would that be too powerful?

Let me know if you want me to send you some extra $$$ for the cable.

Cheers.

Steve.
Well I am going to post your 1230 early this afternoon, I'll do that then let me dig out the Adapter as I'm not sure what box it is in and I'll be back in touch. 550w is fine - I used an 850w until it went pop lol .
Old 04 November 2009, 12:58   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
Well I am going to post your 1230 early this afternoon, I'll do that then let me dig out the Adapter as I'm not sure what box it is in and I'll be back in touch. 550w is fine - I used an 850w until it went pop lol .
Coolio...

Will see how I get on with my PSU and if you can't find your cable I can get one from amigakit.

Tempted now to get another A1200 for use with your card, this could end up one expensive project lol.
Old 04 November 2009, 13:04   #9
asm1

Ah I see the addiction is setting in.... I was exactly the same, started with 1 A1200 now have 3 in bits lol.