English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 January 2008, 01:08   #21
Ray Norrish

Yea well, the whole digg thing didn't work out. I feel a bit cheap trying to cajole people to "digg" it.

My biggest question was "where was the money?" lol
Old 08 January 2008, 01:12   #22
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
yes found it, but the current link for this project is:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/for....asp?jn=472138

I hope your version won't be for when our children grow up (as this guy in the link probably intends to)...
Just to make it clear, I`m finishing this I, Robot remake first before I start on CC. It will be quite a challenge - not to remake it really, but to make it in "today's style", which is far more demanding that just a remake. I`m quite a perfectionist for these things as well, so it would have to be worthy. Also, I`d require some assistance (modelling, texturing etc.)
Old 08 January 2008, 10:11   #23
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Hi Ray... sterling work so far been watching on the sidelines with interest

What`s the possibility of these remakes being ported? to... say..... the GP2x?
Old 08 January 2008, 12:49   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If you need to get in contact with David Lowe, the original musician for Carrier Command, I got talking to him last year. He now writes chart music with his daughter, Holly Jazz Lowe, who is a lead singer & musician in her band "Like a thief".

Dave "UncleArt" Lowe was one of the first games musicians to produce studio quality music for video games. They were usually bundled as an Audio Cassette tape together with the game.

Shame that it was the pre-CD era, even with a decent cassette deck, exotica were not able to preserve the music as good as it could have been

Maybe UncleArt has the studio tapes?

Last edited by alexh; 08 January 2008 at 13:00.
Old 08 January 2008, 17:42   #25
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish View Post
I haven`t paid too much thought to the planning yet, but I would want to expand the game in certain areas: more vehicles, more AI on the islands etc. Why not have a think about some ideas for expansion?

There was a big Carrier Command thread in comp.sys.amiga.games around November and while it is also one of my favourites, a slight flaw is that once you suss out that 7 or 8 air-to-ground assassin missiles can take out an HQ, you have no real motivation to use any of the other cool equipment - the Walrus vehicles, the virus bombs, off shore Carrier bombardments etc. Why bother if you can do it all quicker and more easily with a Manta or two.

With a tweak or two (or several) this could be addressed, improving the tactical depth and presumably gameplay.
Old 21 February 2008, 22:02   #26
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
There was a big Carrier Command thread in comp.sys.amiga.games around November and while it is also one of my favourites, a slight flaw is that once you suss out that 7 or 8 air-to-ground assassin missiles can take out an HQ, you have no real motivation to use any of the other cool equipment - the Walrus vehicles, the virus bombs, off shore Carrier bombardments etc. Why bother if you can do it all quicker and more easily with a Manta or two.

With a tweak or two (or several) this could be addressed, improving the tactical depth and presumably gameplay.
Indeed.. surely they had playtesters back then as well ?
Perhaps if you could reverse the carrier up to the island sufficiently, but in the remake, the islands wouldn't be as simple as the original - there would be undulating terrain as well as the islands being considerably larger. The carrier arsenal would only be capable of establishing a beach-head in my plans, so that would never have been an issue. Perhaps the mantas could venture far enough inland, and maybe the a tomahawk could take out the odd hospital, but all these things need to be taken into account when tackling a game of this potential.
Old 21 February 2008, 22:05   #27
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
If you need to get in contact with David Lowe, the original musician for Carrier Command, I got talking to him last year. He now writes chart music with his daughter, Holly Jazz Lowe, who is a lead singer & musician in her band "Like a thief".

Dave "UncleArt" Lowe was one of the first games musicians to produce studio quality music for video games. They were usually bundled as an Audio Cassette tape together with the game.

Shame that it was the pre-CD era, even with a decent cassette deck, exotica were not able to preserve the music as good as it could have been

Maybe UncleArt has the studio tapes?
Well, that's certainly interesting and something to explore. However, I`ll be getting this current remake completed by.. oh.. the summer? So I`ll probably be back and getting a few interested people together to lay out some plans for the game around then.
Old 21 February 2008, 22:07   #28
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
You did the Blood Money music?
*bows down*

I have it on my (popular make of mp3 player) Hope that's OK

BTW, what do you use to develop these games ?
Sorry for the late reply etc, but I moved house and didn't get reconnected for ages!

The Robotron remake is done with Delphi and the I, Robot is using Dark Basic Pro
Old 21 February 2008, 22:10   #29
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Hi Ray... sterling work so far been watching on the sidelines with interest

What`s the possibility of these remakes being ported? to... say..... the GP2x?
I would say what is a GP2x before answering?
Old 21 February 2008, 22:57   #30
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Hey

Have a look here
Old 21 February 2008, 23:00   #31
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Have a look here
In that case, unlikely then, as it would be reliant on DirectX