English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 May 2021, 21:35   #281
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by systmcrsh View Post
thats a good enough reason dude, don't let haters talk you out of it or make you regret it

can't we just have a thread about how cool it is that 3.2 is out? or does it always have to devolve into an argument about crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
This is some toxic attitude and exactly what shouldn't happen.
Why does anyone that expresses discontent with the situation is labeled a "hater"? That's just ridiculous and disrespectful. Nobody even, at least not me, discouraged or criticized anyone for purchasing this, or talked shit about the product itself.
Early today I thought about whether to respond to such a reply about haters and I decided to leave it alone. Now I would like to thank to Akira for his stand a add: After all I am old enough and European and I prefer to think that over the years I have gathered more information on this subject and so I can write something like that without any hatred.

And by the way, I ordered AmigaOS3.2 too.
Old 21 May 2021, 21:39   #282
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken View Post
Will be adf digital download available? I haven't CD-ROM unit

You can also buy the CD, on any computer around create ISO image and mount it on Amiga or PC as virtual drive.
Old 21 May 2021, 21:50   #283
falken
Amiga Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
You can also buy the CD, on any computer around create ISO image and mount it on Amiga or PC as virtual drive.
I don't have a CD drive on any of my computers
Old 21 May 2021, 23:16   #284
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken View Post
I don't have a CD drive on any of my computers
Jeff Bezos is selling USB CD-ROMs for less than 20 Euros...
Old 21 May 2021, 23:48   #285
Warty

US folks, just an FYI: Amiga on the Lake now has 3.2 available to order. Will be in stock in "less than 10 days". I put in an order. Now I have to go dig out a CD-ROM drive from somewhere... I wish I had a tricorder.
Old 21 May 2021, 23:50   #286
eXeler0

Just ordered the bundle with 3.2 CD, 1200 ROMs + extra 500 ROMs. Didn't see any CD32 ROMs, so what was the thing with cd32 version? (I forget). (I have a TF330 in the CD32 so it actually boots into the OS)
Old 21 May 2021, 23:57   #287
Fuzzball

Where can you buy this in the UK and does anyone know if it works well on the Mister FPGA?
Old 21 May 2021, 23:59   #288
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
Where can you buy this in the UK and does anyone know if it works well on the Mister FPGA?
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 May 2021, 00:02   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
https://www.retropassion.co.uk/produ...2-cd-rom-only/
Old 22 May 2021, 00:04   #290
Fuzzball

Thanks. i can only find it for physical purchase. I would prefer just a download purchase like Amiga Forever. Is there such an option anywhere or is it physical only?
Old 22 May 2021, 00:06   #291

For just now physical only digital will come later

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=51
Old 22 May 2021, 00:36   #292
CrazyPepsi

i am confused ..what if i dont use the new rom ?
what is the point of digital download if u dont have the new rom ?
Old 22 May 2021, 00:40   #293
Rodimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
There's one last thing, though, which I'd like to share from a developer's perspective: OS3.1.4 had been torrented within minutes after release. Nevertheless, it sold a lot better than I would have ever expected. So maybe some people's attitudes, resources or whatever did change a bit since the time when we swapped games in school every day.
I purchased 3.1.4 and already ordered 3.2 (plus roms)...

I did wear the eyepatch a lot back in the 80's/90's, but... as a kid, you simply don't have the funds and your moral compass might be a bit less mature. Now that I'm a lot more financially secure, I try to dump more money back into things to support the content creators as best as I can.

I will not admit that I did or did not grab the torrent for the 3.1.4 release (after I'd already purchased it), because I might have wanted to get the A1200/020 ROMs for WinUAE only. Please forgive me for something I'm not admitting to, but I could have felt like the charge was excessive once I'd already purchased 3.1.4. Maybe this was an issue with Hyperion's original sales model, more than how the devs would have chosen to release everything.

Kudos to the team for including *ALL* the 3.2 ROMs on the single CD, meaning I only had to buy the two A2000 physical ROMs, and then I can still freely choose what I want to use in my emulation environments (pc, pi, etc).

Oddball 'licensing' question, based on this whole frame of thinking - Because I have purchased two ROM chips for my two physical big box A2000's, but only one CD, does that mean I'm only licensed to install the OS portion on one device? What is the spirit of the license? Do the devs/Hyperion get a portion of the sale for the ROM chips themselves, or are these simply burned by the Distributor/Vendor as a small side income? Should I have bought 3 copies of the CD? I don't want to be a CD pig considering the limited number I would assume are available - everyone should get one that wants one... if I need to purchase more after the initial rush to cover the legality of installation, that's fine. I am just curious what the intent here is - if I can order two chips without requiring two cds... does that imply I am covered?

I can't thank you enough for continued support of one of my two favorite platforms. (C64/Amiga)
Old 22 May 2021, 00:53   #294
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPepsi View Post
You could softkick it
Old 22 May 2021, 00:59   #295
CrazyPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
You could softkick it
Cool!
Old 22 May 2021, 01:39   #296
systmcrsh

Quote:
... Things shouldn't be this way
Quote:
Why does anyone that expresses discontent with the situation is labeled a "hater"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
I like new software, I bought it. Thank you Hyperion and thank you developers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
I don't think there's anything to thank Hyperion for....
i used the term hater as its most often used... slang for people that bring negativity into an event/place/discussion that a majority see as positive.

a lot of people have been looking forward to 3.2, and a lot of development, hard work, and probably love, went into making it happen.

Quote:
Yes, I agree. But not in this thread, as there are plenty of opportunities elsewhere.
exactly!

anyways, whatever
Old 22 May 2021, 05:49   #297
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus View Post

if I need to purchase more after the initial rush to cover the legality of installation, that's fine. I am just curious what the intent here is - if I can order two chips without requiring two cds... does that imply I am covered?

I can't thank you enough for continued support of one of my two favorite platforms. (C64/Amiga)
Typically a software license limits it's use to one systems at any given time, so if you have several systems you can use it on any, but only one instance under power.

ROM;s are provided by resellers as a gesture, not many people have the hardware and abilities to burn roms themselves.

I might be wrong, but I would expect only one physical rom to be entitled for every CD license.
Old 22 May 2021, 05:50   #298
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus View Post

Oddball 'licensing' question, based on this whole frame of thinking - Because I have purchased two ROM chips for my two physical big box A2000's, but only one CD, does that mean I'm only licensed to install the OS portion on one device? What is the spirit of the license? Do the devs/Hyperion get a portion of the sale for the ROM chips themselves, or are these simply burned by the Distributor/Vendor as a small side income? Should I have bought 3 copies of the CD? I don't want to be a CD pig considering the limited number I would assume are available - everyone should get one that wants one...
AFAIK the dealers are allowed to burn a single set of ROMs per CD sold (these have individual serial numbers) and they will keep the money for themselves, which is something the devs appreciate, as dealers had their part in keeping the community alive over the years.
Old 22 May 2021, 06:05   #299
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPepsi View Post
The basic requirement is a 3.1 ROM. The new ROM components will be loaded from disk, some at first boot only. This will cause a single reboot after the machine has been switched on. Some components will be replaced on the fly while booting (that’s new). You may also softkick/map the complete rom file at first boot. What would be best for you depends on your setup. The loaded components consume memory.

To get rid of the extra reboot after cold start, you’ll have to replace the ROM physically. This will also save memory.

Some accelerators can store the ROM in programmable flash memory, so you don’t need a physical one. E.g. AmigaKit just introduced a memory expansion for the A1200 with a flash rom option, IIRC, although we were not able to test it.

Please read the FAQ for more information. Everyone interested in OS3.2 should read it.
Old 22 May 2021, 08:48   #300
slaapliedje

Quote:
The basic requirement is a 3.1 ROM. The new ROM components will be loaded from disk, some at first boot only. This will cause a single reboot after the machine has been switched on. Some components will be replaced on the fly while booting (that’s new). You may also softkick/map the complete rom file at first boot. What would be best for you depends on your setup. The loaded components consume memory.

To get rid of the extra reboot after cold start, you’ll have to replace the ROM physically. This will also save memory.

Some accelerators can store the ROM in programmable flash memory, so you don’t need a physical one. E.g. AmigaKit just introduced a memory expansion for the A1200 with a flash rom option, IIRC, although we were not able to test it.

Please read the FAQ for more information. Everyone interested in OS3.2 should read it.
Well, you can also get the burner equipment+adapter for ~50-60 dollars? I ended up with two as I couldn't find one one day when I needed it, then of course found the original one after the second arrived, but figured I could always use extras :P

Even so, I still decided to order ROMs as it supports the dealers, and it saves me the effort of setting up the burners, software and having to locate the correct chips to burn to.