English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 September 2023, 20:50   #161
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukkoPera View Post
Sure kipper, sure. I know the truth, you know the truth.

Do what you want, I'm tired of wasting my time with this thing and with you. Anybody can read this topic and figure out what kind of person you are and how much of a slaphead you have been since the beginning.

This is the last drop as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to sever all my ties with the Amiga world. And while that is probably not a big loss for the "community", I'm sure that the respect you have (not) shown for open source stuff (and for me) will probably make the other more talented developers who share my open source ideals think twice about releasing anything openly.

But that will actually make it even better for you! Since 99% of what you have done has been derived from someone else's open work, with no more new stuff to copy and stick your name on it, you will probably have a lot of time to relax and spend lying in the sunshine. So enjoy!
You are not the only person capable of doing reverse engineering, i actually stripped down an A500+, years ago, cleaned it up, took Hidef pictures and have been using it for debugging for ages. All the addons are part of my initial work, not stolen, please elaborate ?

As for open source stuff, Am i not helping the community by making this available to people?

I repeat... if you think i have stolen something, tell me what ?

BTW, i notice a few of my designs made its way onto your github, I don't care, it is nice to share isn't it

Last edited by kipper2k; 05 September 2023 at 20:58.
Old 05 September 2023, 22:17   #162
Daedalus

Quote:
Do what you want, I'm tired of wasting my time with this thing and with you.
I thought you had already bowed out of this conversation:

Quote:
This is my last post in this thread. My patience has a limit and we're clearly well over that.

Quote:
Anybody can read this topic and figure out what kind of person you are and how much of a slaphead you have been since the beginning.
Throwing insults around like you have been in this thread is hardly the way to endear yourself to people.

Quote:
This is the last drop as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to sever all my ties with the Amiga world.
Probably for the best for your own good. You seem to have some major issues with being unable to fully control anything you release into the wild, to the point of paranoia and being unable to differentiate between work-a-likes and licence-infringing works. It seems to be a relatively common affliction - you're not the only hardware developer who goes on rants based on a hunch.

I've pointed out before that open-source (real open-source, not your idealised version) probably isn't a great match for you. It only seems to get you angry and upset, and puts others off ever touching anything you've been involved in for fear of having to put up with your threats, rants and insults. Enjoy some peace and quiet without having to keep tabs on every PCB project that crops up in Amigaland.
Old 06 September 2023, 13:52   #163
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
This is the last drop as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to sever all my ties with the Amiga world.
Finally!

Maybe we can now have some actual Amiga hardware made without every thread being infested with wah wah wah licence posts.
Old 06 September 2023, 19:05   #164
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Finally!
Nope, loosing skilled developer is always problem. We need everyone so definitely hope this can be resolved in some near future.

Quote:
Maybe we can now have some actual Amiga hardware made without every thread being infested with wah wah wah licence posts.
There is nothing wrong with licenses - you not need to accept them and you can do something on your own.
Technically it is not difficult to compare Kipper2k and SukkoPera layouts... I bet SukkoPera intentionally left some "uniqueness" so he can recognize own design and if Kipper2k design PCB on his own way then it will have no this SukkoPera "uniqueness". Also there is important to remember that some primary license for Commodore PCB is hold by someone else so in overall every design based on Commodore layout may be affected by primary license (and as such any other license is less important or even invalid / not applicable - gray area)
Hope this clash will be soon resolved by Kipper2k releasing his design.
Old 06 September 2023, 20:02   #165
Niklas

Quote:
Finally!

Look, this is completely uncalled for. SukkoPera has contributed massively to the Amiga hardware scene, just go to his GitHub page and look for yourself. Most people I know that make actual contributions to Amiga hardware and software projects care about, and respect, licensing issues. Without the open source movement we would not have many (most?) of the new Amiga hardware developments in the last years, and at least for me, that people respect those licenses is a precondition for spending the time and releasing the work.
Old 06 September 2023, 20:04   #166
kipper2k

I mentioned earlier in this thread that remakes of Amiga PCBs could be considered "Fruit of the poisonous tree". My concern is that the holder of Amiga copyrights could in theory go after all the releases of Amiga PCBs. I do not even know who it is, but someone has ownership and if people are making money from it then it could give them reason to go after the sellers. Who knows ?
Old 06 September 2023, 20:14   #167
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I mentioned earlier in this thread that remakes of Amiga PCBs could be considered "Fruit of the poisonous tree". My concern is that the holder of Amiga copyrights could in theory go after all the releases of Amiga PCBs. I do not even know who it is, but someone has ownership and if people are making money from it then it could give them reason to go after the sellers. Who knows ?
Yep - even if you go for for example 4 or 6 layer design at some point you have ports in same place, you have important IC's in same place (both to provide legacy extensions compatibility) so at some point you are on gray zone with Commodore design and someone who owns it today...
Only way to loose ties with Commodore license is to design non compatible PCB... Perhaps there is lawyer specializing in this on forum...
Old 13 September 2023, 23:03   #168
kipper2k

Here is more info on where i am at..

I spoke to Tom Kirk very recently and received written permission to use his PSX adapter on the A500 Mega+ project motherboard (so lets not have any drama please).

I have zipped up the code so people could have a peek at it and those who know how could possibly add more features to it. I have included the necessary circuit to the mobo to allow users to use the cheap Wifi PSX controllers (with a little bit of modding) It is an extra option not necessarily needed but there if users want to play.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...520932/Tom.zip

edit; if someone wants to make changes i can test updated hex files. Ths is the last project i will do, after this, all done

Last edited by kipper2k; 14 September 2023 at 04:51.
Old 18 September 2023, 04:31   #169
nonarkitten

Once copyright enters the public domain, it cannot, ever, be re-copyrighted. More to the point, you can never re-copyright any work. This would apply to PCB artwork and schematics.

That being said, the original copyright on anything from Amiga or Commodore HAVE NOT EXPIRED and won't until sometime into the 2050's. Thankfully (?) the patents have long expired, so we don't need to muddy the waters there at all.

Yes, I'm aware I'm potentially invoking some DMCA issues having the Commodore schematics on my github -- I'm hoping no one's too bothered by it. The good of the many and all. Worse-comes-to-worse, I'll take them down, copy them into AutoCAD and publish those. PITA but a legal circumvention of Copyright.

Okay, so what about reverse engineering? Well that's more subjective -- the immediate product -- a virtual clone of the original -- cannot be copyrighted. Any improvements, alterations or other works can make it copyrightable, but a 1:1 copy cannot. That's really the whole point of copyrights.

Finally, whenever you CHANGE the licensing terms, you have to realize that it is NOT retroactive. The new license only applies to that work-forward. This is why it's so important to get your licensing right in the first place. So your original work is under the CERN OHL 1.2 license which has no prohibitions on commercial use and/or the viral requirement of derived works to have to be open source as well.

Maybe not everyone is smart enough to checkout old commits, forks or branches to see if they're differently licensed, but I am and you need to assume others are as well.

Now personally, I don't think finding loop holes is in the spirit of open source as it's intended. While I don't agree with the idea of open source hardware in general, I would respect the authors wishes as I know first-hand how infuriating it is when people think they can just clone your work. It's not even about the money, they don't even ask permission, and that's what grinds my gears. They're taking credit for your work when often all we want is a thanks.

My recommendation? The version of the 500+ that's the original clone? Public Domain it. Put your name on it, hope people use and share it and we can move forward. All the fixed/improved versions you made should 100% be yours alone and subject to whatever rights and licenses you choose.

P.S. Should anyone doubt my sincerity, I've put everyone and every project that's influenced PJIT in the header files. You can see that here:
https://github.com/nonarkitten/pseud...ain/pjit/arm.h
Old 29 September 2023, 00:53   #170
kipper2k

Old 29 September 2023, 03:04   #171
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
Plenty of available real estate here…. Nice.
Old 30 September 2023, 23:07   #172
kipper2k

k, here is my final post...

So i will build 5, mabbe 10 and then that is it... RCK, please close my acct as requested, Bye all,
Old 30 September 2023, 23:16   #173
eXeler0

Another new A500+ bmotherboard

Quote:

So i will build 5, mabbe 10 and then that is it... RCK, please close my acct as requested, Bye all,

Wait, what? Why?
Old 01 October 2023, 13:46   #174
pandy71

Quote:
RCK, please close my acct as requested, Bye all,
Good Luck kipper2k... Hope at some point you will return - always warmly welcomed - thank you for all.
Old 01 October 2023, 13:49   #175
seb132
French in Australia

Lol. So much dramas in Amiga world…
Old 01 October 2023, 17:16   #176
Chucky

?? so what was the point? a "let me flex a while and let people be without anything"-post?

well well.. everyone have the right to do whatever they want I guess
Old 01 October 2023, 17:55   #177
Chucky

or ahh oh. a batch to test it... that might be something completly else..

Aaanyway. lets go on !
Old 02 October 2023, 06:27   #178
ptyerman

Jeez! All this rage quitting. WHY? All it's achieving is leaving the Amiga users with nothing. Absolutely ludicrous!!!
Old 02 October 2023, 10:43   #179
seb132
French in Australia

I’d say the Amiga community has a talent to piss off people who are actually DOING things.
Lots of great Aminet softwares didn’t get supported or updated anymore because of that, lots of hardware projects never saw light further than in the garage of their creators because everyone wanted to have an opinion about what their author should do…
In the end, discouragement and capitulations are what’s left on the battlefield.
Keeper2k used to develop really fancy little things very helpful to the community, like his CF card to IDE connectors which have been copied everywhere, and other stuff that I’m still using in my machines.
Even if some of his projects were never completed, his « can-do » attitude and himself will be missed. But it is his decision.
Old 02 October 2023, 13:06   #180
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
Keeper2k used to develop really fancy little things very helpful to the community, like his CF card to IDE connectors which have been copied everywhere, and other stuff that I’m still using in my machines.
Even if some of his projects were never completed, his « can-do » attitude and himself will be missed. But it is his decision.

I wouldn't say his IDE adaptor has been copied at all. Seeings as the CF card standard means it can connect directly to the IDE bus, there's nothing to really copy as there's not circuitry involved.