English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 February 2013, 19:06   #1
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Do Newer Camcorders work with old Amiga Genlocks

I have got so much old Amiga Genlock stuff that I thought I would set some of it up in the next few weeks and have a play - I understand the basics of connectivity and crash editing but I wondered if a newer, digital camcorder would display correctly in this set up. I haven't actually got a camcorder of any description at the moment so before I buy a cheapy one to play around with I wondered if any one else had any experience - I am guessing that I could connect it as a source device to my Genlock so long as it was PAL or would it be best to stick to an older tape type camera...?
Do the newer digital camera's display at a rate (higher definition?) that an Amiga Genlock set up would struggle with maybe?

I appreciate that any camera would have to have the correct output, Composite etc...

Any ideas, advice very welcome...

Last edited by Peter; 01 February 2013 at 19:18.
Old 01 February 2013, 19:19   #2
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@Peter

As long as you've got the right output connection you should be good to go.

If not you can do as I have to do sometimes - connect to a VCR and then output that to your recorder once you've passed it through the Genlock.

Dave G
Old 01 February 2013, 19:35   #3
AmigaFriend

It depends of how new the camera is. Newer cameras from let's say 2008 up are purely digital video cameras. Most of them only have HDMI video outputs besides data USB or (less common) Firewire.
There are some models that can output PAL through proprietary interfaces, but these are 2000 to 2008 +- models. You have to dig them out and do a bit of search.

Of course the old VHS or Beta route is the most compatible way.
Old 02 February 2013, 13:47   #4
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Cheers chaps - I wonder if I could be chucking money at something that may be a five minute wonder (wouldn't be the first time!!) Think I might look for an older model camcorder with the right output as this would keep costs down and may just satisfy my curiosity about how much fun this might all actually prove to be...