English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 September 2021, 19:11   #1
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Mechanical keyboards from RastPort

I'm the owner of one-man RastPort business. I've seen that my mechanical keyboard KA59 has been mentioned in some other thread. As I don't want to hijack thread of competing product, let's talk about it here.

KA59 is simply a drop-in mechanical replacement of original A1200 keyboard. The project is now at manufacturing stage, however some minor improvements are still introduced. I have decided to finance the project on my own, without paid preorders or crowdfunding and it worked. 8 keyboards have been sold already, and the queue of interested people is 30.

As you may guess, keyboards are hand-assembled so it takes time. On the other hand it allows for high level of customization: keycap color set, kind of switches and language layout may be selected by customer.

Photos of KA59 and informations about the project can be found on RastPort's Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Product page on RastPort website will be up this year.

In the next year I plan to design KA56 – mechanical keyboard for Amiga 600, using the same technology.
Old 17 September 2021, 00:53   #2
aeberbach

Where did you get the keycaps - did you commission a set from a manufacturer, are they third-party?
Old 17 September 2021, 06:53   #3
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I wonder what are the switch options. Only Cherry MX variants, or compatible switches are possible too, e.g. Kailh BOX, Gateron, etc?
Old 17 September 2021, 07:08   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
My wife hates me typing on my original A1200 keyboard each night as the keys are noisy as hell. Can you compare your KB to the old one noise - wise?
Old 17 September 2021, 07:46   #5
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Where did you get the keycaps - did you commission a set from a manufacturer, are they third-party?
My keyboard uses DSA keycap profile, same as in your project on GitHub. However I buy blanks and print them locally. Then I can follow original layout and look more strictly. It also allows me to support all the European language layouts.
Old 17 September 2021, 07:48   #6
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
My wife hates me typing on my original A1200 keyboard each night as the keys are noisy as hell. Can you compare your KB to the old one noise - wise?
Depends on switches, red ones are comparable to original, brown are a bit louder, blue are intentionally noisy. In general – do not expect mech keyboard to be silent.

Last edited by Krashan; 17 September 2021 at 08:13.
Old 17 September 2021, 07:51   #7
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
I wonder what are the switch options. Only Cherry MX variants, or compatible switches are possible too, e.g. Kailh BOX, Gateron, etc?
Switches are non-standard, as Cherry MX compatibles are too high. So only one Kailh series with blue/brown/red flavors, with characteristics similar to Cherry.
Old 17 September 2021, 08:49   #8
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I see, thanks! I guess it's the low profile Kalih then.
Old 17 September 2021, 23:09   #9
cv643d

Nice, would be interested if the price is not too steep
Old 28 September 2021, 20:15   #10
Mick

Great work.

My main moan though would be the additional keys, is it not possible to get the original space bar size and remove all extra keys an an option for the purists? if not wouldn't it be better to have the extra keys next to the space bar so that the A and ALT are in their normal locations? also maybe just drop the caps lock light to allow you to use original size CTRL/CAPS keys? I think the size of those keys being reversed would bug me more than lack of a light.

You can't please everyone I guess and with you funding it yourself I bet it's expensive but more options would be nice if possible.

Last edited by Mick; 28 September 2021 at 20:37.
Old 29 September 2021, 09:59   #11
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
My main moan though would be the additional keys, is it not possible to get the original space bar size and remove all extra keys an an option for the purists?
No, the only option is to have them 3D printed, probably in SLA technology (FDM will look afwul). However I doubt it will look consistent with the rest of keycaps. Custom length stabilizer will be needed as well. As for placing extra keys next to the spacebar, I'm not sure. Some people (including me) prefer to have "Amiga" keys next to the space. To say more, KA59 has an user option to swap "Alt" and "Amiga" keys, so Alts are placed next to space as in PC keyboards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
maybe just drop the caps lock light to allow you to use original size CTRL/CAPS keys?
Next revision of the keyboard (already in the pipeline) will have square Caps Lock and 1.25U sized Ctrl without dropping the Caps light.
Old 30 September 2021, 11:29   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
If noise is the main factor then you probably want a laptop-like keyboard, with flat keys.
Old 30 September 2021, 20:06   #13
Photon

Laptop keys are so flat now thought that you get a "thunk" which can be just as loud.

Dell/Thinkpad scissor switches were great for normal typing, but the unknowing majority wants to kill good ideas.

"Mechanical" keyboards are louder than "non-mechanical" if you type normally. There are no silent switches except Topre (with extra silenced upstroke). You can type silently on most keys.

So unless RastPort can provide Topre switches with silenced upstroke, you have to either type silently, type in another room, or not type at all. Otherwise no provider can provide.
Old 09 November 2021, 21:05   #14
Fenris

I would be interested in one, A1200 keyboard, how about price and availability?
Old 02 January 2022, 22:07   #15
Krashan
Hardware Designer

I've set up a preliminary product page for KA59 keyboard on rastport.com. At the moment it contains illustrated instalation guide. More informations and photos will follow.

https://rastport.com/products/KA59/
Old 03 January 2022, 18:12   #16
Deaths_Head

That is an extremely nice looking solution. I will be keeping an eye on this project, may be interested in one later in the year. I wish you every success.
Old 03 January 2022, 19:43   #17
fluke

Great work! An overview image with a closed case would be nice... Thank you for your effort.
Old 09 January 2022, 09:10   #18
Asmodean

This looks really interesting!
Old 09 January 2022, 09:20   #19
mkrleza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post
This looks really interesting!

I agree... 100%
Old 09 January 2022, 10:10   #20
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
Great work! An overview image with a closed case would be nice... Thank you for your effort.
I need to assemble more keyboards for photos, as I have send all out... Matter of two or three weeks.