English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 March 2017, 19:05   #1
R-Typer

Color saturation over RGB in older Amiga monitors?

Hello!

I have finally managed to get my first monitor for my Amiga 500. It's a beatiful Philips CM 8833 MK2 monitor.

The problem is: the picture is washed out when conected to RGB port and Color Saturation button on the monitor doesnt work. Color saturation button works only when Amiga is connected to Composite input via A520 RF modulator. Colors are fine over composite connection but the picture quality overall is terrible.

1. Are there any monitors for Amiga than can saturate colors over RGB input?
2. Why did they remove color saturation in RGB connection in these monitors?
3: I can see there is a S-Video mod for both my monitor and A520 RF modulator that can allow S-Video connection. Will color saturation work then in S-Video connection?

I know I can use SVGA monitors for PC and adjust the colors and geometry there, but I would like to use proper old monitors if possible.

Many thanks,
//sasha
Old 26 March 2017, 22:37   #2
idrougge

Colour saturation usually isn't necessary in RGB; you get along fine with just the contrast and brightness knobs. Or – for a more technical explanation – the saturation control is part of the chip that decodes composite video into RGB.

The solution in your case is to use another RGB cable. The one you're using probably has the wrong resistor values for the red/green/blue wires.
Old 26 March 2017, 23:16   #3
Daedalus

Indeed, that sounds like a cable issue to me, or else a problem on the RGB input of the monitor. I don't think there should be any resistors in the RGB lines - my cable for the 1084 didn't have any anyway... Perhaps there's a grounding issue - a poor ground connection through the cable might cause voltage levels to be not quite right from the monitor's perspective. You could try connect the composite cable at the same time and see if that improves the RGB image.