English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 21 September 2018, 07:17   #1
Foebane
Banned

Simplest way of creating a menu in WB?

I run demos a lot on Amiga emulation, but the one thing that's always bothered me is when I have to navigate through DOpus and find the executable that runs the demo, and playing "hunt the exe" can be quite tedious after a while, especially when I might have to run a Shell command to do so.

Is there a simple menu app that I can add items and run commands for each item in a script? That way I could avoid hunting for the files manually, and the presentation would be simpler, too.

EDIT: A script I can edit in Notepad++ would be even better, thanks. Any examples or tips on creating menu scripts?

Last edited by Foebane; 21 September 2018 at 07:37.
Old 21 September 2018, 08:19   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

There are many APP-Menu easily editable where you can enter all the paths of the demos and execute them with a clic. All the menus can be executed if necessary, among the best there are: AppMenuCX, ToolsDaemon, AddMenu and THE, I enclose a video showing the mentioned menus and editor.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 September 2018 at 16:00.
Old 21 September 2018, 09:28   #3
Foebane
Banned

Thanks for the recommendations, AmigaSystem, but they look rather elaborate, and I need something like a menu script I can edit on the PC side, and which is different for each configuration I use (I just point to different paths on each config).

What is an example of a simple menu script, with a list of items and a selection prompt? I can't seem to find any with a quick google.
Old 21 September 2018, 09:44   #4
Daedalus

Do you mean a text menu in a Shell window? I remember some coverdisks doing just that. Or, at least achieving that effect in a simple fashion:

Code:
Echo "Please choose an option and press enter:"
Echo "1) Worms"
Echo "2) List Workbench contents"
Echo "3) Workbench 2"
Echo "4) Workbench 3"
Alias 1 Games:Worms/Worms
Alias 2 List Workbench:
Alias 3 Execute S:WB2-Startup-sequence
Alias 4 Execute S:WB3-Startup-sequence
The user then types the relevant number at the normal AmigaDOS prompt which then runs the relevant action.
Old 21 September 2018, 10:31   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Good advice from Daedalus, if you want you can also set the function keys without the need for a shell but this method is limited to the number of keys available

Regarding the APP you saw in the video many of their config are simple text files that can also be edited by hand with a text editor, The APP THE and ADDMenu are changed only by hand with Text Editor

N.B. Attention to edit the texts on Windows because they leave at the end of the line the symbol ¶ that on AmigaOS blocks the execution of the scripts, why do not you use an Amiga Editor?
Old 21 September 2018, 10:52   #6
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Good advice from Daedalus, if you want you can also set the function keys without the need for a shell but this method is limited to the number of keys available

Regarding the APP you saw in the video many of their config are simple text files that can also be edited by hand with a text editor, The APP THE and ADDMenu are changed only by hand with Text Editor

N.B. Attention to edit the texts on Windows because they leave at the end of the line the symbol ¶ that on AmigaOS blocks the execution of the scripts, why do not you use an Amiga Editor?
I don't need to, if I set Notepad++'s Line Ending setting to UNIX.
Old 21 September 2018, 10:58   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I don't need to, if I set Notepad++'s Line Ending setting to UNIX.
Ok, check the saved texts of Notepad++ your AmigaOS with Redit
On AmigaOS I use EditPad, this editor does not show the sible and automatically deletes them as soon as a save is made.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:09   #8
Foebane
Banned

Apologies for asking about menu software, but I realised I can make an alteration to my current system by hiding the folders I had to navigate before and putting scripts in their place to simply run the demos directly. The thing is, most of the demos are single exes easily runnable from DOpus as it is, and the annoyance was the demos in folders. It would certainly mean less work, and even though this is my hobby, some people think I put far too much work into it anyway.

I wish I'd thought of that before starting the thread, but thanks anyway.
Old 22 September 2018, 19:46   #9
Foebane
Banned

I've completed a series of scripts/batch files for my demos in folders, and I've gotten DOpus now to a stage where I can instantly run demos by clicking on the name and hitting Return. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

AmigaSystem, as for the information you've helpfully provided me with, it's still a good question and I'm sure it'll come in useful for others.