English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 December 2018, 14:25   #1
FromWithin
Music lord

I'm selling a Psygnosis Amiga 3000.

I've posted in marketplace, but I think it's worth mentioning here as it certainly has nostalgia and memories for me. There's some trivia in the auction post (amongst other things, it was used to create the original Lemmings intro and logo), but I'm happy to answer any questions about it or Psygnosis in general here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202538125854?ul_noapp=true
Old 15 December 2018, 15:33   #2
talybont

Great story, and good going rescuing this from the dump.

I'm not bidding, I gotta eat.
Old 15 December 2018, 22:00   #3
speshady

Nice piece of kit you have there.
Would be good if you could make a backup of the files on the HD and share on here? if that is possible of course.
Old 15 December 2018, 23:50   #4
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by speshady View Post
Would be good if you could make a backup of the files on the HD and share on here? if that is possible of course.
One of the reasons that I'm selling it is that it's a pain to get the files off and I can't afford the time and resources needed to do it. I'm hoping that the buyer can sort that out. It will likely otherwise sit there for another 20 years.
Old 16 December 2018, 00:05   #5
fgh

Anyone with a working scsi setup (old pc/mac/amiga etc) can image your drive, it’s a real shame if it’s lost.
Or someone could come over with a scsi2sd adapter and easily image it on your a3000
Old 16 December 2018, 00:26   #6
Hewitson

I'm afraid this drive may not survive being transported. It needs to be imaged with dd_rescue or similar software as soon as possible.

This data is absolutely irreplaceable.
Old 16 December 2018, 02:39   #7
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin View Post
I've posted in marketplace, but I think it's worth mentioning here as it certainly has nostalgia and memories for me. There's some trivia in the auction post (amongst other things, it was used to create the original Lemmings intro and logo), but I'm happy to answer any questions about it or Psygnosis in general here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202538125854?ul_noapp=true
I only just saw this today whilst doing a search on eBay!

Getting the HDD imaged would be awesome, but might be best to avoid postage as most HDD usually get damaged in transit.

If you're okay for someone to come over and image the HDD for you, then I could look at asking a friend with expertise in such matters to try and pop over before the bidding ends (if he available as I know it's Christmas close approaching).

If I had the funds, I would have bought it, alas, I hope it goes to a good home!
Old 16 December 2018, 15:12   #8
oscillik

I'm in the Liverpool area (I live in Widnes, and travel to Liverpool daily for work), and I can image the drive.
Old 17 December 2018, 18:22   #9
FromWithin
Music lord

I just replied on reddit to oscillik with the following:

Unfortunately, the A3000 uses a SCSI bus and the only SCSI to USB products that I've seen are old, expensive, and have SCSI 3 connectors. Once of those converters would also need a SCSI ribbon to female SCSI-3 connector and I've never seen such a thing.

You've just made me think of something that I didn't consider before...the drive might actually be fine and the on-board SCSI controller is the thing that is faulty.

But you see, it's all so complicated that I just haven't got the time to try to sort it out. I spent a few days on it and now I fear continuing with it knowing that I can't fix it just in case mutiple power cycles really do kill the hard drive. I was hoping that whoever bought it would be an Amiga aficionado with the capability to resolve the problems.
Old 18 December 2018, 17:49   #10
oscillik

Thanks for replying! Yeah, as I mentioned on Reddit — I didn't realise the drive is SCSI, so I can't help here unfortunately
Old 18 December 2018, 18:03   #11
fgh

It’s not complicated for an amiga user with scsi.
Just add your disk to their system and create an image of your drive.
Or someone local with a scsi2sd adapter can add it to your system and do it there onto the sd card.
Old 18 December 2018, 20:54   #12
high-5
Zone Friend

Had a similar challenge when I found my old Amiga SCSI HD some weeks ago. I bought an old SCSI controller AHA2940U (10€) and transfered files via PC. WinUAE can also create a HDF file from the HD.
Old 19 December 2018, 04:54   #13
Hewitson

Yep, was going to suggest buying a cheap PCI SCSI controller off ebay.

I've actually got a spare Adaptec, but by the time it reached you you'd probably have found one elsewhere.
Old 22 December 2018, 01:12   #14
4pLaY
www.resistance.no

Seems this one fetched a hefty sum of GBP 1,850.00
Old 22 December 2018, 01:21   #15
hth313

Wow, that is probably close to what it costed new (not counting inflation).
Old 22 December 2018, 04:00   #16
nexus

i have a Maxis A2000 wish i could get info on
was donated to a toaster training school all i have to go by is the barcode/serial property of maxis label on the back
guessing it was once a simcity dev unit as its the old old maxis logo sun with blue ribbon just like on the 1st simcity box
Old 24 December 2018, 08:01   #17
TjLaZer

Just a comment about the Quantum HD. They have a very common failure where there are rubber bump stops in them that get really sticky and the read/write lever will get stuck on it when it moves. That is the usual failure for them. Opening them up and gently moving the lever will get it moving again and the HD will work. It's a good idea to backup the drive asap at that point. Maybe connect a SCSI Zip Drive to it to do it. The drive can be fixed, I just fixed one in my 3000. I used a thin piece of clear packing tape, a long thin strip and I carefully placed it on the rubber bump stop so it does not allow the lever to stick to it. Drive works perfect now. PM for more info on this fix.

See here at 15:41
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 December 2018, 08:38   #18
nexus

considering the value of contents on this drive opening it should only be done in clean room/box if the head is stuck like that then best way to free it without opening is too freeze it then tap it etc rinse repeat few times if that doesnt work then you must use a clean room or make 1
i used to do data recovery years years ago
i had to do same fix as you on a conner drive from dave haynies a1200 hoping it had something good too bad it didnt

Last edited by nexus; 24 December 2018 at 08:45.
Old 29 December 2018, 01:57   #19
lesta_smsc

Yes, unfortunately well outside my budget! Anyone known if the new owner is on this forum!?
Old 06 January 2019, 20:41   #20
FromWithin
Music lord

An update for any interested parties. The buyer has now taken the machine. The hard drive was recognized fine by a SCSI controller in a separate PC and an image of the drive was taken. The drive then booted up okay when placed back into the Amiga 3000, which was a relief. The data has been rescued and the buyer has a fully working machine.