English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 12 November 2009, 13:47   #1
pmc
gone

AsmOne even directive...?

Watcha chaps.

I'm doing some stuff at the moment where I need to assemble one of the sources I created in Devpac using AsmOne with the wb (write binary) option.

I'm finding that doing this is screwing up my code.

The reason seems to be (from some peeking I've done with HRTMon) that various things keep ending up at odd addresses. Access to these odd addresses via an address register == hello guru.

The code works fine in Devpac so my question is - does AsmOne ignore Devpac's even directive? If so, is there an equivalent I can use? Or alternatively, is there a Devpac equivalent to AsmOne's write binary?

Last edited by pmc; 12 November 2009 at 13:58. Reason: typo...
Old 12 November 2009, 14:29   #2
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc
The code works fine in Devpac so my question is - does AsmOne ignore Devpac's even directive?
I should learn to RTFM.

I can see that even is accepted by AsmOne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc
alternatively, is there a Devpac equivalent to AsmOne's write binary?
Would still be interested in this though if anyone knows? I can't see anything obvious so I assume the answer is: no.
Old 12 November 2009, 14:54   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Would still be interested in this though if anyone knows? I can't see anything obvious so I assume the answer is: no.
I don't think so. If there is I've wasted a good portion of my life in a hex editor stripping headers
Old 12 November 2009, 15:01   #4
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150
I don't think so. If there is I've wasted a good portion of my life in a hex editor stripping headers
LOL! Ok mate, thanks for confirming.

In case it's of interest to anyone - AsmOne was pushing entries in an rsreset structure to odd addresses after an rs.b and causing the crashes.

For AsmOne at least, sticking an even inside the rs reset structure doesn't cause any assembly errors but doesn't fix the problem either. The only way I could sort it was to shuffle a few rs.b entries around and make sure the whole strucure was even aligned by the time it reached the end.

I don't know if Devpac takes care of this stuff itself...?
Old 12 November 2009, 15:06   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
For AsmOne at least, sticking an even inside the rs reset structure doesn't cause any assembly errors but doesn't fix the problem either.
Which makes perfect sense, to me at least. It's just a structure so you should take care to align it yourself if necessary by adding some rs.b 1 etc where necessary.

Quote:
I don't know if Devpac takes care of this stuff itself...?
If it does it would be one more reason for me not to use it (never used it anyway ;D) as I want to have full control over any structures I create.
Old 12 November 2009, 15:17   #6
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
Which makes perfect sense, to me at least. It's just a structure so you should take care to align it yourself if necessary by adding some rs.b 1 etc where necessary.
Yeah, that's cool - it's the first time I've used one of those rsreset structures myself (following your PM'd advice about pc relative code ) so I'm just learning about all these little code killing things that I'll have to remember about.

Quote:
If it does it would be one more reason for me not to use it (never used it anyway ;D) as I want to have full control over any structures I create.
LOL! Fair point. I still love Devpac though.

Must admit that cos I've been using things in AsmOne recently that I don't hate its interface as much as I used to.

It's actually quite nice now that I've adjusted a bit and it does have nice functions - write binary being the one that's come in most handy so far...
Old 12 November 2009, 19:06   #7
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
LOL! Fair point. I still love Devpac though.
Me too Although it seems it's just an English thing... the rest of Europe hate it (or at least everyone I've spoken to does!)

Quote:
It's actually quite nice now that I've adjusted a bit and it does have nice functions
Yes, Mr Stinger is right once again I have to use AsmOne for some of my WHDLoad stuff as Devpac versions seemed to bug out. A bit of variety in which grey GUI I'm using is a good thing I guess To be honest if I was new coming to assembler now I'd use AsmOne exclusively I think. I will however, always stick to Devpac3 as my Mum bought it for me back in the day and I still feel I owe it to her to get the best value from it
Old 12 November 2009, 20:15   #8
pmc
gone

Quote:
Although it seems it's just an English thing...
Funny you should say that - I assumed this too as, like you, all the European demo coders always talk about using AsmOne. However, I posted in a thread on amiga.org that I thought using Devpac was mainly a British thing and people started posting saying they all used Devpac.

So, I think it's more accurate to say using AsmOne is a European thing rather than using Devpac's a British thing.

Quote:
Yes, Mr Stinger is right once again
Is he ever wrong...?

Quote:
To be honest if I was new coming to assembler now I'd use AsmOne exclusively I think.
Easy now - let's not go mad! I still prefer Devpac's menu driven / point and click style interface. That probably emphasises my lameness more than anything else though for, as we all know, - real power users do it with the keyboard!

Quote:
I will however, always stick to Devpac3 as my Mum bought it for me back in the day and I still feel I owe it to her to get the best value from it
LOL.
Old 12 November 2009, 21:53   #9
Vortex
Used Register

I find RT RS WT and WS quite handy in ASMOne. And let's not forget CC.

(Oh and no I didn't die. Just very busy and last months of the year are always crazy for me...).
Old 12 November 2009, 21:58   #10
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex
What actually is all that stuff...? Are these letter codes described in the AsmOne docs...?
Old 12 November 2009, 22:01   #11
Vortex
Used Register

RT = Read Track
RS = Read Sector
WT = Write Track
WS = Write Sector
CC = calc and write bootblock checksum

You should be able to find them in the ASMOne doc, but you can also find them in one of the menu's... I just read you have a soft spot for menus
Old 12 November 2009, 22:04   #12
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex
I just read you have a soft spot for menus
ROFL!

It's good to have you back dude!
Old 12 November 2009, 23:17   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
real power users do it with the keyboard!
Indeed. MUCH faster than any menu/mouse crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I find "wo" incredibly useful too. And IS/CS (I.nsert/C.reate Sinus) is very useful too. As is h.x (x=b/w/l) for hex dumping etc pp. AsmOne ftw \o/
Old 16 November 2009, 18:44   #14
Photon

/me wonders if anyone has seen the WB etc options in AsmOne's pull-down menu... or the file requester... ?

Not that I use any menus or requesters tho I guess I haven't seen this awesome point and click interface in DevPac 3 that saves the horrid laborious typing of 1- and 2-letter commands... is it really that big of a difference in ease of use?
Old 16 November 2009, 18:49   #15
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon
I guess I haven't seen this awesome point and click interface in DevPac 3 that saves the horrid laborious typing of 1- and 2-letter commands...
LOL.

Devpac is a nice assembler but, I must admit, I'm beginning to see more and more reasons

Quote:
I find "wo" incredibly useful too. And IS/CS (I.nsert/C.reate Sinus) is very useful too. As is h.x (x=b/w/l) for hex dumping etc pp. AsmOne ftw \o/
why you guys love AsmOne... maybe enough for me to start loving it too!
Old 16 November 2009, 22:21   #16
Photon

btw, what I meant was if Devpac 3's "GUI" has some neat features that AsmOne's GUI lacks. It seemed as if someone thought AsmOne only had a commandline. Just because I don't use the AsmOne GUI doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 19 November 2009, 12:15   #17
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
>Originally Posted by pmc
>alternatively, is there a Devpac equivalent to AsmOne's write binary?

Vasm can do it, which is compatible to Devpac.
Just select binary output format:
Code:
vasmm68k_mot -Fbin -o mybinary mycode.s
Also PhxAss can write binaries (even directly onto disk), but Devpac compatibility is not complete.
Old 02 December 2009, 19:29   #18
Plagueis/KRX
coder

I just sent PMC a big email regarding this whole issue (Devpac vs AsmOne). He started me out by suggesting Devpac, though I did feel drawn to AsmOne due to the lack of a mouse driven interface. When I use Linux, or BSD or any other version of UNIX I don't feel at home unless I'm in text mode using 100% command line. When I use Windows I'm always using keyboard shortcuts. The BSD based kernel was the best thing to happen to MacOS in my opinion....well, you get the picture.

I noticed a lot of the intro/demo sources I was able to get my hands on to study were coded in AsmOne too, and I tend to want to use what the majority of the demo community use/used. Nevertheless, it would probably be a good idea to be fluent in both. For comfort alone though, a command line interface would be preferable.

Does anyone have a link to an AsmOne manual?
Old 02 December 2009, 19:50   #19
pmc
gone

I've just replied to that big email with... a big email! \o/

You wanna use AsmOne!? Pah! Sell out!

Don't blame you actually, many cool features. Download AsmOne v1.48 from aminet - the manual is in the archive...
Old 02 December 2009, 19:54   #20
Plagueis/KRX
coder

Quote:
I've just replied to that big email with... a big email! \o/

You wanna use AsmOne!? Pah! Sell out!

Don't blame you actually, many cool features. Download AsmOne v1.48 from aminet - the manual is in the archive...
Getting ready to check my email...I didn't say for sure I was going to use AsmOne as my main assembler, I just said I was tempted by the speed of a command line interface.

-Brett