English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 October 2021, 22:05   #41
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Yes, it's an issue with MusicDevice, which should be set to 0 for "auto detect", negative numbers will turn MIDI off. The default value for this variable is wrong, I missed this when I backported the game from EDuke32 to JFBuild I guess I'll have another round of bugfixes before The Big Rewrite®.
Old 12 October 2021, 23:26   #42
vulture

Thank you Hedeon, changed "MusicDevice = -2" --> "MusicDevice = 0" and that fixed it ;-)

Strange though as I didn't have to do this when I first tested and all was working fine. I also deleted the .CFG file so would assume it would default back to "0". Anyway...

Thanks again ;-)
Old 13 October 2021, 06:33   #43
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Your assumption is correct, the default value of MusicDevice is wrong. I'll fix this in the next version.
Old 13 October 2021, 11:41   #44
AMike

@BSzili
Thanks for this awesome port! Today I installed Blood for the first time. (gog version) Sound playback works perfectly via Paula and AHI. Then I wanted to test the MelodyPro for MP3 playback, but unfortunately no music was played during the game.

Test procedure:
  • copied the mhimdev.library to Libs:MHI.
  • In Prefs:Env-Archive there is the file "MHIDEV" with the entry "melodympeg.device 0".
  • I copied the MP3 files from your page directly into the Blood folder.

A1200 Kick/WB 3.2 V1200, MelodyPro, 040exe

Have I overlooked or forgotten anything? Thanks

EDIT: I've tried AmigaAMP with MHI and got the error message: Can't allocate MHI Hardware
MP3 playback with Amplifier and MelodyPro works.

EDIT 2: I found a typo in my config - the correct filename is "MHIMDEV" and not "MHIDEV". AmigaAMP works now, but there is no music playing in blood.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BloodCFG ENV.zip (6.5 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by AMike; 13 October 2021 at 18:54.
Old 13 October 2021, 18:13   #45
BSzili
old chunk of coal

If AmigaAMP works then your MHI configuration should be OK.
Could you send me the CLI output of the game? Messages from the audio library are not saved into nblood.log, so it might help. Are there any error messages in the in-game console?
Old 13 October 2021, 18:45   #46
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
Could you send me the CLI output of the game? Messages from the audio library are not saved into nblood.log, so it might help. Are there any error messages in the in-game console?

Autodetection problem? Before it I had end of config MusicTrackExt = "mp3"

It shouldn't do anything now.
Old 13 October 2021, 18:54   #47
BSzili
old chunk of coal

That's right, I removed it before release as the auto-detection is simpler and less error prone. As long as the MP3 file exists it will try to play it, so if the file name is correct there's not much that can go wrong here. We'll hopefully know more with the CLI and in-game console output.
Old 13 October 2021, 18:59   #48
AMike

Quote:
Attached the cli log. I've changed the music device to "0" for the MT32, but I've tested it also with unit number "-2". (MT32 works fine btw)

Edit: For mp3 playback the soundfiles were in the blood root directory.
Attached Files
File Type: txt blood.txt (1.7 KB, 98 views)
Old 13 October 2021, 19:13   #49
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Thanks, that looks OK as well. What about the in-game console, are there any error messages there after a level/demo loads?
Old 13 October 2021, 19:19   #50
AMike

Quote:
Thanks, that looks OK as well. What about the in-game console, are there any error messages there after a level/demo loads?
No ingame error messages at all - same for snoopdos. (only psx adapter) I've choosen CD Audio in the options menu and use this audio files.
http://bszili.morphos.me/stuff/blood-cda-mp3.zip
Old 13 October 2021, 19:44   #51
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Then I have no clue, I thought maybe it ran out of memory loading the MP3 file. At least the MT32 works *shrugs*
Old 14 October 2021, 14:03   #52
rabidgerry

I'm going to upgrade to v1.1, do I swap the whole thing out or can I replace certain files just?
Old 14 October 2021, 14:57   #53
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Then I have no clue, I thought maybe it ran out of memory loading the MP3 file. At least the MT32 works *shrugs*
It works my system out of the box. Updated this and MP3 plays fine, with Delfina's DSP.

By the way All the love you have targeted to Blood has made it quite much faster and floing, compared to Shadow Warrior.

[ Show youtube player ]

When I start to shoot ape, it get quite jerky. Nothing like that doesn't happen Blood anymore.

[edit] some reason I can't get video to start correct place 40:00

Last edited by utri007; 14 October 2021 at 16:16.
Old 14 October 2021, 15:15   #54
rabidgerry

Mine will freak out with a lot of zombies on screen but generally it does seem to play better than Shadow Warrior on my system too. Mind you Blood Crashes occasionally for me, and sometimes it wont for hours. I have gotten paranoid that its the flame thrower can used for long presses can cause of a crash but I dunno, could just seem that way.
Old 14 October 2021, 18:07   #55
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I'm going to upgrade to v1.1, do I swap the whole thing out or can I replace certain files just?
You can simply extract the LHA and overwrite the files with the ones from the new archive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
It works my system out of the box. Updated this and MP3 plays fine, with Delfina's DSP.

By the way All the love you have targeted to Blood has made it quite much faster and floing, compared to Shadow Warrior.

[ Show youtube player ]

When I start to shoot ape, it get quite jerky. Nothing like that doesn't happen Blood anymore.

[edit] some reason I can't get video to start correct place 40:00
Don't worry, once I'm done with Blood I plan to update Exhumed and Shadow Warrior too. I still haven't given up on getting the multiplayer to work in SW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Mine will freak out with a lot of zombies on screen but generally it does seem to play better than Shadow Warrior on my system too. Mind you Blood Crashes occasionally for me, and sometimes it wont for hours. I have gotten paranoid that its the flame thrower can used for long presses can cause of a crash but I dunno, could just seem that way.
Try the "lara croft" cheat, that gives you all weapons and infinite ammo. After that you can just hold down the attack with the spray can to see if it crashes.
Old 14 October 2021, 20:20   #56
rabidgerry

Quote:
You can simply extract the LHA and overwrite the files with the ones from the new archive.

Don't worry, once I'm done with Blood I plan to update Exhumed and Shadow Warrior too. I still haven't given up on getting the multiplayer to work in SW.

Try the "lara croft" cheat, that gives you all weapons and infinite ammo. After that you can just hold down the attack with the spray can to see if it crashes.
Ok man I will try that. Still really enjoying the game despite a few crashes.

Will my saved games remain?

I think the guy who does Calebs voice sounds very like Willem Defoe. Anyone else?
Old 15 October 2021, 06:50   #57
BSzili
old chunk of coal

After the last fiasco I'm hesitant to say anything about the saves. Mine still work, but it's always worth making a backup just in case.
Now that you mention it, Caleb kind of sounds like Willem Dafoe.
Old 15 October 2021, 22:13   #58
rabidgerry

Quote:
After the last fiasco I'm hesitant to say anything about the saves. Mine still work, but it's always worth making a backup just in case.
Now that you mention it, Caleb kind of sounds like Willem Dafoe.
What was the last fiasco?

Yeah he really does sound like him, it was the first thing I looked up about the game!! But it was not him of course.

Ok so just installed over the old version and saves where fine. Everything was fine. Still have the odd crash though. Flame thrower non specific. Just froze this time with the Tommy Gun.

A question about Cryptic Passage. So I didn't install it first time round, well I hadn't lifted the correct files for it, so I did this since I was updating Blood last night. I fired it up and all seems to be working however only one levels loads by name, the others load under a sub heading of "player map" and then within this you can select CP01-09. Is that normal or should they have names? No biggy just thought that was odd.
Old 16 October 2021, 07:38   #59
BSzili
old chunk of coal

A small correction: Cryptic Passage has only one eponymous episode. If you complete one level you will progress to the next, just like in the stock episodes.
The "User Map" option is meant to load loose levels that you or someone else created in the map editor, and don't come with its own "INI" file describing an episode.

Last edited by BSzili; 16 October 2021 at 08:09.
Old 16 October 2021, 13:33   #60
pcotter

Finally had the chance to test the port with Midi too!!
Like other users, had to change MusicDevice to "0" to open CAMD.
Thank you very much for the port BSzili. My weekend will be Bloody awesome :-)

[ Show youtube player ]