English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 August 2002, 09:33   #1
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Happy It's moving..it's alive, it's moving.. IT'S ALLIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!1

YES! YES! My 8MB RAM expansion finally arrived and now my Miggy runs like the wind! And I only got it for 30EU! I know it sounds lame to you people with your 68999 A400000000000000000000 8GHZ 512MB RAM PPC Super duper turbo Amigas, but this is one of my happiest moments! No more lag! No more praying before looking at the program's system requirements! No more vanilla Amiga! No more drooling over memory hungry hard disk installers! I now have an A1200 with 10MB RAM 340MB HD!
Old 20 August 2002, 10:36   #2
Amiga1992

Congratulations! You got yourself a nice machine for HD games
Old 20 August 2002, 11:39   #3
Bloodwych

Hehe, yep it's great when you add some fast ram and double the speed of an A1200.

The HardDrive will be next (I used to have a 340MB HD), then you'll end up with an A1200 1.2Gig 10MB RAM set-up like me. It's perfect for WHDload games.

Don't be jealous about other faster Amiga set-ups. An 020 10MB A1200 will play every game perfectly apart from the latest 3D efforts and demos. I really have no wish to expand my A1200 further - it works like a charm!

Now you've got some extra RAM, why not put it to good use and download and install my Classic WB FULL. I guarantee you'll be impressed with the results and performance. It makes use of the fast ram but leaves all your chipram intact!

The reason I advertise this WB is due to my ongoing quest to dominate the Amiga OS market Bill Gates style. Only thing missing is loads of spy-ware and bloat-ware and I've dared to add stability!

Grab it from the EAB download page linked in the zone. It is however in english, don't know if this is a problem?
Old 20 August 2002, 11:43   #4
alkis21
Zone Friend

Interesting.. can you give me more info please? What advantages will I have if I download it? Will it overwrite my WB3.1? Can I see some screenshots?
Old 20 August 2002, 12:09   #5
Bloodwych

Read about it here

Grab it from here (thanks to Rck)

Daz used to have WB3.1 and installed the Classic WB over it. He loves it!
Old 20 August 2002, 12:12   #6
alkis21
Zone Friend

Never mind, I read the texts at http://download.abime.net/. I do have an original 3.0 disk but how easy will it be to delete all the workbench files without messing what I have already installed?
Old 20 August 2002, 12:28   #7
Bloodwych

If you feel comfortable with your current WB setup then keep it - I don't want any blame for messing up your system!

The truth is without knowing what you've got installed it's hard to say. The WHDload games could be left on the HD no problem, just be sure to back up the WHDload key file (if you have one) as you'll need to drop it in the c directory once the classic WB is installed.

Truth is I was only pointing out an option and it's really up to you. If you're happy with your WB setup then DON'T change it - after all it's main use is probably launching WHDload games anyway!
Old 20 August 2002, 12:30   #8
Drake1009

Did you get the RAM from eBay or somewhere else?

I'd like to get my hands on some more ram as well.
Old 20 August 2002, 12:42   #9
alkis21
Zone Friend

Now that I have calmed down, let me tell you the full story. I'm a man who doesn't like changes; I still haven't gotten my University diploma although it's been years since I entered the school, I've had the same girlfriend for 6.5 years and I stuck to my Amiga for ages before I was forced to get a PC in 1997 cause I needed to work on Access. I always wanted to upgrade my Amiga but I thought the only way to do it was by buying a new processor which was too expensive for me. I recently found out I could purchase a cheap card with some RAM on it, so next time I spotted one at an auctions site I grabbed it!
So I went to my place with the package in my trembling hands.. Although I'm an electrical engineer, I'm mostly a software guy and I'm terrible with a screwdriver. I soon realized that I wouldn't be able to plug the card just by opening the little trap door underneath, there was not enough room for the job. So I unscrewed my Amiga for the first time since 1993 (you can imagine the dust!). I plugged the RAM, screwed, and switched my Amiga on. Ran Sysinfo, it was there! Everything was faster! Great.. now let's restart. Restart? It wouldn't restart! What was wrong with my keyboard? I opened the Amiga again and I noticed the ribbon was detouched. I attached it again and everything was fine.
Just one tiny issue, the trap door won't close anymore. Is that a problem?
Old 20 August 2002, 12:47   #10
alkis21
Zone Friend

Drake, I got it at a Greek auction site. Bloodwych, I would want a change after 9 years with the same layout but if you're not sure about the way it will mess up my system I will have to pass, thanks anyway.
Old 20 August 2002, 13:00   #11
blackcornflake

The trapdoor not being able to close is not a big problem. Hey, more ventilation.

That must be one big RAM card!
Old 20 August 2002, 13:42   #12
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Quote:
Originally posted by alkis21
Drake, I got it at a Greek auction site. Bloodwych, I would want a change after 9 years with the same layout but if you're not sure about the way it will mess up my system I will have to pass, thanks anyway.
try the wb's in winuae first, then you'll know if you want them on your real amiga or not (I know you will though )
Old 20 August 2002, 22:42   #13
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I remember when i got my 030 card! Ah the excitement! But the agony! Having never upgraded anything in my life before, when i thought i had installed the thing my Amiga did NOTHING! Instant arrrrrrrrrgh situation! I sent the thing back to the dealer i bought it from, who then sent a reply sayign nothign was wrong! Double arrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Finally realised i hadnt shoved the thing NEARLY enough, gave a damn good yank in sheer frustation, after which, worked ok!

Saying that, finding out my 040 was for a tower not a desktop was a equally arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh moment...

And heed the warning of hard drives... once ye tread down the path of Whd and JST games, no hard drive will be big enough!

Last edited by Antiriad; 20 August 2002 at 22:49.
Old 21 August 2002, 01:45   #14
AdamSelene

Well, I don't seem to remember having any problems installing the RAM upgrade on my A1200. Admittedly, the trapdoor doesn't fit, but that's okay as the system doesn't need to move very far.

The only trouble I ever had upgrading my system was having the 4.3 GB HDD fitted.

And that was because the firm I gave it to to upgrade took three weeks to get round to fitting it (even though it was a 2.5" drive...WTF??)

Old 21 August 2002, 02:30   #15
Miggy2TheMax

Re: It's moving..it's alive, it's moving.. IT'S ALLIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!1

Quote:
Originally posted by alkis21
YES! YES! My 8MB RAM expansion finally arrived and now my Miggy runs like the wind! And I only got it for 30EU! I know it sounds lame to you people with your 68999 A400000000000000000000 8GHZ 512MB RAM PPC Super duper turbo Amigas, but this is one of my happiest moments! No more lag! No more praying before looking at the program's system requirements! No more vanilla Amiga! No more drooling over memory hungry hard disk installers! I now have an A1200 with 10MB RAM 340MB HD!

Wooohoo... well done 8mb fast is _very_ useful in a 1200. Ahhh .. this post reminds me of the good old days when I'd get a new piece of hardware... for the amiga .. it was great fun .. right from the 1/2meg expansion for my A500 to the A4000 that I recently acquired. I still get a kick out of getting ANY amiga hardware (especially 500 h/w), and this is the reason why I'm always looking around for more amiga hardware.... just cant get enough of it, great stuff!!
Old 21 August 2002, 04:57   #16
Amiga1992

The CPU BUS socket is a BITCH! It's very hard to fit a card without opening up the whole Amiga.
Old 21 August 2002, 08:56   #17
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy

I remember the day when I got my 060 card with 16mb ram!

Cost me 600 GBP mind !! but boy was it good!!

soon after I got it working I remember I was in the #amiga channel on irc and that guy who wrote worms - Directors Cut was in here needed some lib. I was the only one with an 060 in there at the time, so I sent it him and he said he`d put me in the credits of the game!

He never did the git!!! I only found that out about 2 years ago as well

and my trap door never fit either once I got that card in there!

oh well
Old 21 August 2002, 10:39   #18
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
The CPU BUS socket is a BITCH! It's very hard to fit a card without opening up the whole Amiga.
The first time I fitted my A1200 RAM expansion, I took time to be careful and delicate. It took me ages to fit, trying to line it up etc. then I realised I was being far too fussy.

You just have to be tough with the bastard - the A1200 and silicon boards can take quite a bit of abuse without any harm.

Now I just lever my ram expansion into the socket with the handle of a knife, pushing against the side of the simm connecter - get in there son! It makes a sickening crunch/snap sound as it latches on, but at least I know a good connection has been made.
Old 21 August 2002, 10:53   #19
Paul
RIP Friends

Wish my 1mb RAM expansion (to give me 2MB) in my A600 would make a sickening crunch/snap sound as it latched on. It keeps working loose and then it crashes with a green/yellow screen.

Had to shove something in the gap to hold it in place.
Old 21 August 2002, 11:02   #20
Bloodwych

But isn't it great Paul when you have the satisfaction of fixing a problem in your own way.

My 1.28GB 3.5" Seagate HD in my A1200 is so ultra slim it wouldn't stay put once I'd shut the case.

A bit of square sponge wedged between the top of the HD and the A1200 case soon sorted that problem out.

I was well chuffed with my engineering skills.