English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 July 2021, 07:35   #1
n9yty

Clean Slate: AmigaOS 3.2 + what?

I picked up two A1200's a few years back and also some ACA1233 cards for them, PCMCIA networking, CompactFlash cards for HD, SCART cables for HDMI converters, etc.. They run pretty well. Due to job changes, though, I had to put them on the shelf.

With AmigaOS 3.2 I thought it would be fun to get some new CF cards and "start clean". The previous cards had ClassicWB on them and lots of stuff was preloaded. I tried copying the CF to a hardfile in FS-UAE and upgrading it to AmigaOS 3.2 with mixed results. I am now thinking that is not the way to go.

I know the answers here are endless and will be based entirely on opinion, but really, if you were kind of "starting over" from a huge system crash, and you couldn't load a pre-packaged collection, what software would you install beyond the obligatory WHDLoad collection.

I don't have 3.2 Kickstarts (yet), but can map that with the ACA1233 from an initial boot partition easy enough. I did run into some strange behavior trying FS-UAE and installing AmigaOS with 3.1 Kickstart images from AmigaForever, but I was emulating a Blizzard 1230/IV with only Chip + Accelerator RAM and I think it confused the system (no special Blizzard software was loaded on like ACATune).

Anyway, I think this will be a very fun and highly satisfying project to go on, like bringing home a new Amiga for the first time except having access to a vast software library and fairly easy (even if using Gotek w/ADF images) way to transfer that library to the A1200.

Looking forward to ideas, or links to the probably vast number of posts already covering this that I somehow missed entirely.
Old 07 July 2021, 10:08   #2
crazyc

Probably have a look here:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107410

I didnt use it as have done a clean install and added what I use specifically on my system, so included USB drivers, CD music player etc, and some purchased apps like Roadshow and P96.
I always tend to add Dopus, Full Pallete, Visual Prefs, different icons etc.....
Old 07 July 2021, 19:29   #3
n9yty

I haven't found one yet, but is there a list of what packages are included in ClassicWB or other similar packs?