English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 04 October 2023, 13:43   #41
sokolovic

I even thought that it was using Scorpion Engine in some sort of partnership with Earok like we can see on this video :

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 October 2023, 14:26   #42
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
if there is one thing about this topic I'd criticize personally, it's that the impression was created over time that this game was actually in some stage of development already on the Amiga.

The game been created with Amiga in mind. The resolution, the colors etc.
I was a patreon for a long time and they always was open about this and that is why I know. The game was never intended to be first released for the Amiga. Since they got a lot of interest now and connected quite some money on the kickstarter we must be happy about that. That means that they are doing well and can continue working on what they are doing. Mike and Corey have day jobs but they really want to do this full time. If they can they will be much more productive.
Old 04 October 2023, 17:11   #43
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
The game been created with Amiga in mind. The resolution, the colors etc.
I was a patreon for a long time and they always was open about this and that is why I know. The game was never intended to be first released for the Amiga.
Not to sound snarky, but maybe communicating these things only on Patreon was the problem here.

People in the Daemon Claw thread on A1K for instance were VERY sure, that the game is in development, and would not want to believe me that this isn't the case.

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 04 October 2023 at 17:57.
Old 04 October 2023, 17:20   #44
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Not too sound snarky, but maybe communicating these things only on Patreon was the problem here.
Yes, even Mike says it was a mistake.
Old 04 October 2023, 17:29   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
People in the Daemon Claw thread on A1K for instance were VERY sure, that the game is in development, and would not want to believe me that this isn't the case.
Tempted to see the... fallout over there Glad to see that they left you mostly unharmed
Old 04 October 2023, 18:08   #46
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I even thought that it was using Scorpion Engine in some sort of partnership with Earok like we can see on this video :

[ Show youtube player ]
Am pretty sure it was considered but then was deemed too immature and limited in hardware requirements at the time, your memory match mine though

Last edited by saimon69; 04 October 2023 at 19:26.
Old 04 October 2023, 22:47   #47
nikosidis

Quote:
Not to sound snarky, but maybe communicating these things only on Patreon was the problem here.

Sure, you are right but who said this was an Amiga game to begin with? I think that since Mike is such and Amiga fan and been to Amiga conventions etc. people just assumed it. The other game they been doing for a long time "Metro Siege" is only seen on Amiga. The game will probably be for other platform also but OCS game. I think they are not that far from finishing that game. Maybe 1 more year
Old 04 October 2023, 22:52   #48
acidbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Am pretty sure it was considered but then was deemed too immature and limited in hardware requirements at the time, your memory match mine though
That Scorpion Boy project is still ongoing though I think? It was only ever a working title, think Mike gave it re-name, though off the top of my head I cannot remember it.
Old 04 October 2023, 23:49   #49
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
That said, I'm curious why nobody tries to make any kickstarter for an Amiga game (not saying that for BitBeamCannon particularly).

When I see how much was raised for all the kickstarters made for the Amiga (keyboard, keycaps, Checkmate, optical mouse etc), I would be very surprised that a kickstart for a very polished game like MetroSiege would'nt be a massive success, even if it is only for the Amiga. I'd gladely pay for it personnally, and I'm sure many others would do so.
Because it's a big risk to take even if the required/requested amount is really small (in comparison). The fact is that Amiga people are much more hardware oriented and willing to spend quite a lot on new machines, gadgets or upgrades. Up until ~2016, game dev on Amiga (both classics and NGs) was practically non-existent. Amiga games production died a slow death, reaching literally rock bottom from 2002 and onwards and never really recovered (up until recent times). While hardware production and OS related software never stopped being hyped, created and sold. You can deduct from this that the Amiga hardware market is big, mature and confident enough to keep supporting these projects (and the mere existence of so many commercial hardware players still operating is proof of that). Something that the Amiga game side clearly lacks (so far). So this is where the risk is and why the success of other hardware related projects doesn't necessarily means success for commercial Amiga games as well.

But I'd love to be proven wrong (of course).
The Amiga games dev scene keeps getting stronger and better and (from all that I've seen) there is a growing interest and an upwards trend in regards to commercial Amiga game sells. The scene already has many established teams and individuals and a lot more is happening now than ever before. People keep supporting these projects and commercial Amiga games keep hitting high number sales is guaranteed to have a positive effect on the complete scene (both commercial and non), so it's not unlikely that some day we might see big-budget productions being made and having success with crowdfunding as well.

Quote:
As I see in the KS there is currently 811 backers for the Megadrive version. It's not like there were millions or even thousand of backers there anyway. And the game is probably more expensive to make on the Megadrive because of the cartdrige.
I imagine the biggest costs are the involved team's paychecks, not so much the materials (at least for the MegaDrive, probably for the NEO-GEO the cartridge costs would be quite bigger). In relation to what we talked about above, an important factor is also the dev teams themselves. F.e. in this case, Neofid is a full commercial, professional team and this work is done as a real day-job. Which means they can allocate the necessary resources and reach specific quotas to have the game shipped and completed in time. Paired with the fact they have a proven and trustworthy record, with other quality publications under their belt, limits the risk even further, both for them and the for public.

In contrast to the above, in the Amiga scene most teams/individuals are still doing game-dev on a hobbyist basis (in terms of time they can spend), so even for proven and established players (that would want or consider going that route) it is still a massive risk to commit on even small-budget crowdfunding goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Afaik Scorpion was never considered for Daemon Claw. Probably people got that impression from Mike also developing the "Scorpion boy" project (now called 'Aeon's Legend').
Old 05 October 2023, 00:14   #50
Bren McGuire

don't you think that the fact that it was FIRST shown running on Amiga and the Amiga is mentioned constantly makes it seem to absolutely every Amiga person that it is in fact an Amiga game?
Even in this latest video it does not discard the Amiga possibility It's just like they're putting a carrot in front of you lot for you to follow but never reach and in classic Amiga community fashion here you are following it.

by the way how many Amiga games has Bit Beam cannon released so far? What's that? Zero? ok wake me up when they shipped a game shouldn't they be 100% focused on finishing Metro Siege before embarking on another project like this one??

Quote:
Sure, you are right but who said this was an Amiga game to begin with?
Old 05 October 2023, 00:33   #51
nikosidis

Quote:

Sure, you are right but who said this was an Amiga game to begin with? I think that since Mike is such and Amiga fan and been to Amiga conventions etc. people just assumed it. The other game they been doing for a long time "Metro Siege" is only seen on Amiga. The game will probably be for other platform also but OCS game. I think they are not that far from finishing that game. Maybe 1 more year
Old 05 October 2023, 00:39   #52
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
don't you think that the fact that it was FIRST shown running on Amiga and the Amiga is mentioned constantly makes it seem to absolutely every Amiga person that it is in fact an Amiga game?
Even in this latest video it does not discard the Amiga possibility It's just like they're putting a carrot in front of you lot for you to follow but never reach and in classic Amiga community fashion here you are following it.

by the way how many Amiga games has Bit Beam cannon released so far? What's that? Zero? ok wake me up when they shipped a game shouldn't they be 100% focused on finishing Metro Siege before embarking on another project like this one??

I understand you feelings. I told them myself that whatever they show they have not exactly delivered anything for Amiga yet. This is partly why I quit as patreon. There is one thing though and that is when the engine for Metro Siege is finished they say it might come a lot of games out of it and in a much faster paste. Give them one more year and we might be surprised It is not true that Deamon Claw was first seen on Amiga. There was this small demo of it running on the scorpion engine. That is not that long time ago. This game been in development for many years. I guess that small demo they should not have done.
Old 05 October 2023, 07:24   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Has BitBeamCannon ever released a game so far? Might be still a while until they'll get around to that. Lots of YT videos to watch though.
Old 05 October 2023, 07:58   #54
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I played demo of Metro Siege running on Amiga at A37 last year, at least.
Old 05 October 2023, 08:34   #55
acidbottle

Okay well I think I can figure out why there was confusion DC was in development as an Amiga game.

I believe some assets for the game were used when earok was working on parallax scrolling in scorpion engine. Remember the bridge/snow section video in that thread. (post #610 for one).

Disclaimer though, earok DID say it would not be made using Scorpion way back in early 2021 also
Old 05 October 2023, 11:46   #56
UltraNarwhal

I only ever saw it as a PC game that would eventually get an Amiga port.

When it does eventually get released I see Mega Drive/Amiga versions out selling the PC version, even though they're more niche.
Old 05 October 2023, 12:56   #57
Amigajay

Pretty sure from an early video they said a demo was made on AMOS for the Amiga, hence why people started to think an Amiga version was coming from a long time back myself included.

I don’t think anyone should be bitter about it, as long as they clarify things from here on in. I’d rather they concentrate on Metro Seige first and foremost anyway.
Old 06 October 2023, 00:24   #58
nikosidis

I think we should be grateful for their success. Eventually it will benefit the Amiga community. Mike love the Amiga.
Old 06 October 2023, 15:32   #59
Bren McGuire

this is some ridiculous wishful thinking you think a game is only its engine?? what about level design graphic work music assets?? games if done well wil lstill take forever and i believe in these games case there's going to be a big problem with these items but one can't tell until it is done it is just a feeling and this feeling is fueled by the way these developers have handled themselves with communication and delivery rate of zero

Quote:
There is one thing though and that is when the engine for Metro Siege is finished they say it might come a lot of games out of it and in a much faster paste. Give them one more year and we might be surprised
Old 06 October 2023, 17:30   #60
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

People might not like industrially churn out games, however that was what, among many, Capcom Konami and Sega did in the 90s/early 2000 with shooters, platformers, driving games and beat'em ups, so if the engine is good you will have a solid base to build upon