English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 March 2007, 02:12   #1
jabbashouse

Save Disk.adf

Dear members,

First of all i'd like to say hello to everyone.

Can anyone here help me, im very new to WinUAE and can't seem to get my Save Disk.adf to work.

I followed the advice given on other sites but they just don't work, i even brought some 3.5" HD Disks that a website said i needed to be able to create a Save Disk.adf.

One site said that you need the actual Workbench installed on your machine, but of course thats impossible if you don't own the original workbench and even so i wouldn't understand how to even go about it installing it on to my Pc anyway.

Could anyone give me a simple but yet detailed description on how to make a functioning Save Disk and how to get it to actually save a game.

The game im currently playing on the emulated Amiga 500 is Future Wars, but theres no point in me playing as i need the abilitly to save.

If it helps you my Save Disk is Labeled "Future Wars.adf", also where can i get a free version of Monkey Island 1.

Thankyou.

Jabbashouse.

Last edited by jabbashouse; 23 March 2007 at 02:18.

Old 23 March 2007, 02:40   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Welcome to EAB, jabbashouse.

Go to the WinUAE Properties --> Floppy Drives and press on "Create Standard Disk". Now enter your desired name and tataa... you have an empty save disk.
Old 23 March 2007, 03:13   #3
jabbashouse

Re - Save Disk.adf

Dear members,

First off thankyou to Retro-Nerd for that information i shall try it in the morning.

Secondly regarding Retro-Nerds reply, how can i tell if it worked as i don't know what key on the keyboard to press to save my game in Future Wars, and should i put the Save Disk into DF0 as nomally i put Future Wars.adf 1 into DF0.

Thirdly how do i go about loading a saved game.

Also i would like to add more information regarding wanting Monkey Island 1.

First it needs to be an English version as it will be impossible to play the game in forean text.

Second WinUAE is the only Emulator i have so seeing as the two games i have so far are Future Wars and It Came From The Desert and that they are both in adf format, i presume i'd need an adf version of Monkey Island.

Thankyou.

Jabbashouse.

Old 23 March 2007, 03:36   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Firstable you should post in normal text mode, jabbashouse. It's hard to read.

For Monkey Island 1: You can find an english version here

http://planetemu.net/?section=recher...ue=roms&page=2

For Future Wars:

Press both mouse buttons at once and choose DF0 as the Backup Drive. Of course you need to insert the created empty disk in DF0 before you save it.

You can load the saved game with another mouse click (both buttons again) anytime.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 23 March 2007 at 05:02.
Old 23 March 2007, 12:06   #5
jabbashouse

Re - Save Disk.adf

Dear Retro-Nerd,

Thankyou so much mate you have helped me alot.

I remember the old days of gaming so well, infact its the only thing i do remember well.

My first was the Acorn Electron of which i had alot of games for, then Spectrum which my favourite game was Skool Daze, i would recommend it to anyone. I actually have it on my Pc if you wish me to upload it to this site.

Then i went onto the C64, man that was a bugger to load up. I had to balance my tape player onto a stack of six books. Because the vibration of anyone walking past would muck up the loading.

My favourite game for the C64 was Usagi Yojimbo the Samurai Warrior. Brilliant game where you played a samurai rabbit, side scrolling game where to get your energy back you could eat rice from houses and you had to kill the evil ninjas who would would either jump out of trees or be disguised as pesants. Your energy was based i think on karma.

Usagi Yojimbo is i found a really hard game to find, if you look on Ebay theres no mention of it. The only thing on it i found was by Googling it but even then its only websites talking about it and so on.

Then the Amiga 500 to 1200, they are the two i got, then for some reason i stopped.

I do still have my C64 packed in the original box with manual and some games like Short Circuit. At the moment it is in the loft but when i get my games room sorted with my 52 inch Tv then i'll have the C64, PS2, Game Cube, Xbox 360 and my gaming Pc all setup.

Anyway thankyou again mate and i hope you enjoy many hows of gaming.

Also which Monkey Island on that site are English plus which are adf files, i don't have HDloader by the way.

Thankyou.

Jabbashouse.

Last edited by jabbashouse; 23 March 2007 at 12:40.

Old 23 March 2007, 15:34   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Here is Monkey Island 1, have fun with it.

http://www.zshare.net/download/monkey-rar.html

Yes, Usagi Yojimbo was a really nice game for the C-64. When you want to try it via a C-64 emulator, like CCS64 or WinVice: Grab the attached file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SAMURAIW_06558_01.zip (49.4 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 23 March 2007 at 16:07.
Old 24 March 2007, 16:06   #7
jabbashouse

Usagi Yojimbo

Dear Retro-Nerd,

Thanks alot for that file mate, man i will have so much fun with this.

The Monkey Isand files for some reason wont play on WinUAE.

Thankyou.

Jabbashouse.

Old 24 March 2007, 16:17   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbashouse
Dear Retro-Nerd,

Thanks alot for that file mate, man i will have so much fun with this.

The Monkey Isand files for some reason wont play on WinUAE.

Thankyou.

Jabbashouse.
Mmh, probably wrong WinUAE settings. Are you using OCS Chipset, 512K Chipram & 512K Slowram, Kickstart 1.3?

But there is a Quickstart option in WinUAE Properties, choose the "Amiga 500" and all is fine.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 24 March 2007 at 16:32.
Old 25 March 2007, 14:04   #9
jabbashouse

Re - Monkey Island.

Dear Retro-Nerd,

Im using the config you described in your last reply, and still WinUAE wont recognise the file type.

Monkey Island is a hdf file or something similar and WinUAE doesnt seem to recognise that file format.

WinUAE is able to read a few different types of file formats like adf and such but the Monkey Island one isn't one of them.

There is a good chance i downloaded the wrong file.

Could you give me the link to the right Monkey Island file, as theres no discription telling me what files work with what emulator, plus i cant tell which one of the Monkey Island games are English ones.

Thankyou and i hope you are well.

Jabbashouse.

Old 25 March 2007, 16:48   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

http://www.zshare.net/download/monkey-rar.html

You get four Monkey Island ADF disk images, when you compress this archive with WinRAR. And it works flawless with WinUAE, try it again.

Quote:
Secret of Monkey Island, The_Disk4.adf
Secret of Monkey Island, The_Disk3.adf
Secret of Monkey Island, The_Disk2.adf
Secret of Monkey Island, The_Disk1.adf
Old 25 March 2007, 18:45   #11
Phantomz

Could anyone give me a simple but yet detailed description on how to make a functioning Save Disk and how to get it to actually save a game.

The game im currently playing on the emulated Amiga 500 is Future Wars, but theres no point in me playing as i need the abilitly to save.

If it helps you my Save Disk is Labeled "Future Wars.adf", also where can i get a free version of Monkey Island 1.

Thankyou.

Jabbashouse.

Just create a standard disk in winuae and name it something like "FutureWarsSave.adf"

Load your game up, when you want to save hold down both mouse buttons, a menu will come up giving you options to load, save etc, one option lets you select save drive, DF0: DF1: etc.

I hope this helps you out m8
Old 25 March 2007, 23:23   #12
Marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbashouse
also where can i get a free version of Monkey Island 1.
Google? It's not exactly difficult to find.
Old 26 March 2007, 13:58   #13
jabbashouse

Re - Monkey Island.

Dear Retro-Nerd.

Thankyou so much for the Monkey Island adf's that was a real help, everything is work fine now.

Thankyou for taking the time to help me and thankyou for being so patient with me.

Dear Phantomz,

Thankyou aswell for the reply you made, Retro-Nerd sorted it out, opologies i should have stated that the "Save Disk" issue had been resolved.

But thanks again.

Dear Marlon,

Unfortunatly i spent a whole day searching the web for a simple answer before i found this website and posted here. It seems that all the people who write the instructions for these programes never take into account to write a lamens version. I also did not know that i had to press both mouse buttons down to get the "Save Menu", and that i had to label the "Save Disk" i thought the programe would do it automatically.

On the matter of Google...i hate it, searching the web is not an exilarating process and after a whole day i become the most non patient person in the world. Plus unless you know how Googles search system works you end up with thousands of thousands of web pages, that half the time are not even relevent to what you seached for in the first place, and i don't have that much patients to search through over a thousand pages only to find it was the very last page that had what i was looking for.

The only thing i do know how to do is edit config files in all things MSFS 2004 related.

Thankyou.

Alex.

Last edited by jabbashouse; 26 March 2007 at 14:04.

Old 26 March 2007, 15:05   #14
BippyM
Global Moderator

alex do me a favour mate.. post using a normal font in a normal colour

and please stop addressing us like you're writing a letter, let yourself go, join in and have some fun on the forums

(It is nice to see someone being polite in this day & age though) welcome to the forums matey

If you need step by step advice come onto irc and bug belgarath or killergorilla (they are so jealous I still get asked for i'd in clubs ) they'll help you out all day long
Old 26 March 2007, 15:29   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Ha ha. Shut it bip.

I can still go to clubs, you can't, you have to baby sit

And don't ask me, floppy disks are the work of the devil Belg is the wolf you need.
Old 26 March 2007, 21:33   #16
DamienD
Banned

Hey jabbashouse,

A good place to get Amiga games (.ADFs) from is PlanetEmu in the Amiga > Commodore Amiga - Games - ADF (0.29) section
Old 27 March 2007, 12:59   #17
jabbashouse

Re - Hi

Hi guys,

Sorry about that, thanks for having me here.

Opologies for the colour of my text, its the colour i always use, from now on i'll post in generc colour.

I hope you are all well, at the moment im playing Future Wars im at the part where you have to kill all the Crugons to get into there ship. Im in the Dinosaur era.

Its bloody hard to kill them though with the gun i have at the moment, great fun though.

Be well and i'll speak laters.

Jabbasouse.