English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 12 May 2005, 13:20   #1
Boulder

Question Colonization non-windowed, how?

Hi all, first I must say that I'm delighted to see that the good old A still has lots of friends!

I've recently re-discovered Amiga, having last used it in '93 I think. I got the original Colonization disks from my cousin but unfortunately without the manual etc. The game runs fine, but it's windowed, which bugs me as the screen tends to look very crowded to me. My cousin said that the game should run non-windowed but he doesn't remember what needed to be done. He said he had looked it up at the manual back when he bought the game, but as the manual is nowhere to be found, I can't check it there. I checked the cli options but there's nothing of help there.

Does anyone remember how to run the game in non-windowed state?
Old 12 May 2005, 13:29   #2
glwxxx

I remember colonization opens its own screen where all the windows are opened then. This should be the default behaviour. There are some icon tooltypes that could force the colonization to open its windows on workbench screen...

Old 12 May 2005, 16:36   #3
Boulder

Unfortunately there are no tooltypes for the Colonization icon
Old 12 May 2005, 18:40   #4
oldpx

I think the answer was in the readme.

Old 12 May 2005, 19:15   #5
Boulder

Nope, the readme file mentions only the parameters WORKBENCH and NOSOUND. My cousin had an A600 so it cannot have been anything special.. I would play the game on the PC but it's a real PITA to get to work on modern machines

The answer is probably in the manual as the readme is just stuff which didn't make it to the printed manual. I was hoping that someone might have the manual somewhere and could look the solution up.
Old 12 May 2005, 23:06   #6
StarEye
Zone Friend

It's not possible to run in "full screen", so you'll have to live with the windows. Sorry. That's my biggest beef with the Amiga version, 'cause the PC version isn't windowed like that.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:39   #7
Boulder

I don't think my cousin remembers it incorrectly. He has never played the game on the PC so that can't have influenced his memory.

I'll have to ask him to turn his parents' house upside down to find the bloody manual If he, after all this trouble, remembers incorrectly, I'll make a coffee table out of him
Old 25 May 2005, 10:45   #8
Figi

I agree with StarEye... I used to play that thing A LOT back then and can't remember a "full screen non windowed" mode like there was in the PC version.
However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder
I would play the game on the PC but it's a real PITA to get to work on modern machines
Install WinUAE, install Colonization on an emulated Amiga hard disc drive inside WinUAE, switch to a high screen resolution inside the emulator and start Colonization with the WORKBENCH-parameter.

I just fired up WinUAE in uaegfx:1024x768 8bit mode. Works like a charm, although it is a bit overkill, since you can't enlarge the map window in Colo that much. And the fonts tend to be a little... small. I guess 720 pixel horizontal resolution should do the trick.

Careful though with the colours: if you installed MagicWB, the colours in Colo get messed up. You need to reset the palette using the Palette-Preferences.

There you go - no overlapping windows, plenty of space and the good ol' miggy-Colo. :-)
Old 25 May 2005, 14:01   #9
Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figi
I agree with StarEye... I used to play that thing A LOT back then and can't remember a "full screen non windowed" mode like there was in the PC version.
However...

Install WinUAE, install Colonization on an emulated Amiga hard disc drive inside WinUAE, switch to a high screen resolution inside the emulator and start Colonization with the WORKBENCH-parameter.

I just fired up WinUAE in uaegfx:1024x768 8bit mode. Works like a charm, although it is a bit overkill, since you can't enlarge the map window in Colo that much. And the fonts tend to be a little... small. I guess 720 pixel horizontal resolution should do the trick.

Careful though with the colours: if you installed MagicWB, the colours in Colo get messed up. You need to reset the palette using the Palette-Preferences.

There you go - no overlapping windows, plenty of space and the good ol' miggy-Colo. :-)
Thanks, I'll definitely have to try that
Old 26 May 2005, 10:15   #10
leroq

Hmmm It's been some time but I remember using one of those custom screen redirector programs to open a 320x240 p96 screen and then Colo on it.