English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 08 August 2012, 19:09   #281
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
If your nick has the @ prefix in the nick list, you are operator. You are automatically op when creating a new channel. You can only use the mode command to promote *another* user to operator, and you would normally not need to do this.
Okay, thanks for this info.

Quote:
The command "/startserver 127.0.0.1" will try to contact a net play service running on 127.0.0.1 port 25101. Have you this service running? (Use /setserver instead if you have started a single instance game server manually - and not running the net play service).
I use a single instance game server, but the port was not correct. It's now fixed
Btw, with the other IRC server (Join Me! for Windows), the users in the lower right corner of the screen are not displayed, so I can't be the operator (same launcher settings). You can maybe have an idea why it happens
Anyway, thanks for your time
Old 08 August 2012, 19:25   #282
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaOnline View Post
Btw, with the other IRC server (Join Me! for Windows), the users in the lower right corner of the screen are not displayed, so I can't be the operator (same launcher settings). You can maybe have an idea why it happens
Anyway, thanks for your time
OK, I downloaded and tested this server. The problem with the nick list is that the server is buggy and sends join twice, i.e. you join a channel #a and the server replies with (abbreviated):
join #a
namreply #a
endofnames #a
join #a (<- this should not be sent by the server)

So when the launcher receives the second join, it clears the nick lists...

I believe the server does not comply with the IRC specification: "If a JOIN is successful, the user receives a JOIN message as confirmation and is then sent the channel's topic (using RPL_TOPIC) and the list of users who are on the channel (using RPL_NAMREPLY), which MUST include the user joining." (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2812)
Old 08 August 2012, 19:37   #283
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
OK, I downloaded and tested this server. The problem with the nick list is that the server is buggy and sends join twice, i.e. you join a channel #a and the server replies with (abbreviated):
join #a
namreply #a
endofnames #a
join #a (<- this should be not sent by the server)

So when the launcher received the second join, it clears the nick lists...

I believe the server does not comply with the IRC specification: "If a JOIN is successful, the user receives a JOIN message as confirmation and is then sent the channel's topic (using RPL_TOPIC) and the list of users who are on the channel (using RPL_NAMREPLY), which MUST include the user joining." (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2812)
I'm sure you're right because it's a very old IRC server (2003 ). I'll report any other issues using the first one, but it seems to do the job just fine
Old 08 August 2012, 20:06   #284
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u5/ (Windows)

* work around a wxWidgets bug on Windows where the text area does not scroll properly when appending text.
* can start FS-UAE as normal with start button when connected to IRC server and not in a game channel.
Old 08 August 2012, 20:20   #285
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u5/ (Windows)

* work around a wxWidgets bug on Windows where the text area does not scroll properly when appending text.
* can start FS-UAE as normal with start button when connected to IRC server and not in a game channel.

Old 08 August 2012, 21:38   #286
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u6/

Highligt:
* implemented /hostgame - the launcher will start a game server instance on the local computer, no need to install/configure server separately or use Internet server -- ideal for starting LAN games effortlessly. usage: /hostgame <address> (example: /hostgame 192.168.0.100 - if 192.168.0.100 is your *own* IP address).

Other changes:
* /startserver renamed to /startgame (/startgame starts a game on a remote game service)
* /setserver renamed to /customgame (/customgame does not start anything but can be used to connect to an existing server).
* fixed a bug in the routine used to find the address to connect to if multiple addresses are specified for a server.
Old 08 August 2012, 21:58   #287
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u6/

Highligt:
* implemented /hostgame - the launcher will start a game server instance on the local computer, no need to install/configure server separately or use Internet server -- ideal for starting LAN games effortlessly. usage: /hostgame <address> (example: /hostgame 192.168.0.100 - if 192.168.0.100 is your *own* IP address).

Other changes:
* /startserver renamed to /startgame (/startgame starts a game on a remote game service)
* /setserver renamed to /customgame (/customgame does not start anything but can be used to connect to an existing server).
* fixed a bug in the routine used to find the address to connect to if multiple addresses are specified for a server.
We are lucky today or you are maybe incredibly motivated or both
Will try this new release asap
Old 09 August 2012, 00:24   #288
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
[...]/hostgame[...]/startserver[...]/startgame[...]/setserver[...]/customgame[...]
Just my two cents: a few big buttons are sometimes more intuitive than many command lines (when it's technically possible at least )
Old 09 August 2012, 00:28   #289
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Just my two cents: a few big buttons are sometimes more intuitive than many command lines (when it's technically possible at least )
Of course. I think I have mentioned already that the plan is to have GUI for this stuff. But coding a nice GUI takes surprisingly long time and the textual commands worked great for developing and testing the features -and it means the features can be tested (and used!) earlier.

When the launcher is "complete", it will not be necessary to type any commands. There will be buttons and dialogs for join/creating games as well as choosing/starting game server.
Old 09 August 2012, 00:30   #290
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Of course. I think I have mentioned already that the plan is to have GUI for this stuff. But coding a nice GUI takes surprisingly long time and the textual commands worked great for developing and testing the features -and it means the features can be tested earlier.

When the launcher is "complete", it will not be necessary to type any commands. There will be buttons and dialogs for join/creating games as well as choosing/starting game server.
In this case, just keep up the good work
Old 09 August 2012, 20:07   #291
nexusle
Banned

Any ETA for a version with NetPlay support for OS X?
Old 09 August 2012, 21:52   #292
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Any ETA for a version with NetPlay support for OS X?
It works just fine on Mac OS X already (I published a Mac version of 1.3.23u3).

I have added an updated Mac OS X build here: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u6/ (as well as deb files for Debian.)
Old 22 January 2013, 10:59   #293
TEOL

Quote:

This screen looks exactly like MAMEHub's so it runs on the same setup like MAMEHub by DigitalGhost does does that give the dev of FS-UAE any ideas yet?

Since it's the same setup with the black and white python connection screen it actually makes it possible so that the developer of FS-UAE can create their own custom chat room and actual lobby to pick a game and run just like in MAMEHub so there would be no more need for rubbish like the client and server having to put scripting into a python anymore manually.

In therory we just need a lobby for the multiplayer and a bit in the lobby to do the correct lobby setup for the game of choice whack in your harddrive with WHD preinstalled or whack in a couple of disks on your server side a client then clicks on your added to the lobby game or workbench finally you both connect and if the server has ADF it will run the game for both people or if you have a virtual hard drive with WHD the client will connect to that drive and wait for you to launch a game of your choice or the client will talk to you in chat and you both choose what game they fancy then WHD will load you into a multiplayer WHD.

With a lobby the multiplayer will finally be optimum thats what we are missing and it is possible as MAMEHub uses the same black python screen so making your own version of a proper lobby layout to what we have on setup now would do the trick to get a proper multiplayer going.

MAMEHub allows you to play a one player by opening your normal MAME exebat as well so if FS-UAE do the same fsuae.bat should take you to the python followed by the lobby login screen for the new multiplayer and fsuae.exe should take you to your normal 1 player GUI.

It's probably some mad wishful thinking but if MAMEHub can do it the proper lobby way and they use the same python programming language things surely FS-UAE can make an optimal download of a fsuae.bat file with lobby for those who want to download it as an addon to their current software or better still have it in there as standard so people have the free option to choose whatever mode they want.

The outputs should then look like this.

Python already posted.

Login:

Lobby:

Startup:

Automatic Python based Download Updates For 1 & 2 Player Modes Also Stating Lobby Needs Java Installed To Run:

The CMD Python screen on the top comes up after game startup whilst it is in a window as a windown in the back of the window it's a simple CTRL & Enter to put yourself into full screen in the MAMEHub and a T to talk with N to take the ping screen off to make it a perfect picture and Alt F12 to make a webm recording of your gameplay will be the icing on the cake.

Yeah. A FS-UAE netplay interface actaully like this but with a lobby with trademark FS-UAE colours would be great. I can see the Java Lobby & CMD Python software updates thing being better than the previous Python only method and every user going to multiplay on occassions because it will kick ass.

Last edited by TEOL; 22 January 2013 at 11:17.
Old 22 January 2013, 11:30   #294
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If I understand it correctly, exactly what you decribe has been implemented in the launcher already: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/launcher-net-play
Old 22 January 2013, 12:29   #295
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

What TheCyberDruid said

This is the currently available lobby interface in FS-UAE:

FS-UAE options are automatically synchronized for all players.

(This interface isn't promote by default yet, because I want to make it a bit more streamlined and beginner-friendly first).

Also, it seems you are a bit confused by the Windows console. The fact that the server can run in console mode (on Windows) -and that some MAMEhub component also does that does not mean that they have anything in common. There are no shared components (I hadn't even heard of MAMEhub.. ).

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 24 January 2013 at 19:41.
Old 24 January 2013, 17:27   #296
TEOL

Looks awesome but a custom rather than IRC based is what I'm thinking of and reffering to so you can do all the frontend stuff without any & or # tags in the lobby you just click on a game and it bungs on your game depending on if you have the same rom and sets the correct settings then syncs you into the game agasinst your opponent.

Thats what I meant a custom lobby interface so you can go into a multiplayer game without the IRC style hash tags.

True it's probably easy to get used to doing IRC coding in the lobby eventually especially if you are techniqually minded to get into a game but with a custom interface where you just click to get into their game screen instead of inserting code # or & with your choosen server name the already excellent looking interface would be so much better and people will be running in to get them some of that multiplayer AMIGA goodness without the bother of codes.

I might give the current IRC based edition a spin if I could ever be bothered to download FS-UAE 2.5.1 based version to upgrade my standard now 2 updates behind out of date WinUAE original version 2.3 emulator.

Last edited by TEOL; 24 January 2013 at 17:32.
Old 24 January 2013, 17:36   #297
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Let's see if Frode can implement a 'Host game' button that'll ask the user for a name and creates a '&' channel

(Sorry, couldn't resist )
Old 24 January 2013, 23:13   #298
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

TheCyberDruid is right! Your "issue" (TEOL) isn't really that the lobby system is built on top of IRC, but that there's not yet a host/join-button (or other buttons). That IRC is used as an underlying transport is just a practical detail. This means that I don't have to also code a lobby/chat server. And for example, just because I use IRC doesn't mean the interface *must* display the "hash tags" (though I don't plan to hide the fact that IRC is used).

The comment I made in my previous post ("This interface isn't promoted by default yet, because I want to make it a bit more streamlined and beginner-friendly first") refers among other things to lack of buttons and dialogs to perform the basic tasks.
Old 04 March 2013, 13:17   #299
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Just had a look at the Netplay feature. Get this error message if i click on the icon.

Quote:
connecting to irc.fengestad.no...
UnicodeDecodeError('ascii', '\xfc', 0, 1, 'ordinal not in range(128)')
Old 04 March 2013, 13:25   #300
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Check your 'Net Play Settings' in Preferences I guess your real name causes that problem Should work fine if your enter Retro-Nerd as your IRC nickname there.