English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 06 August 2012, 17:51   #261
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaOnline View Post
ok/done (local server/2 clients expected)
All seems ok according to you? Any other options?
The game server is set up correctly. The problem seems to be that you are not connected to the IRC server.

Quote:
And then, how can i add channels/start a game exactly? I've tried the default commands without success.
It only works when the FS-UAE client is connected to fengestag.no (online). In this case, I've noticed a new game window in the lower left-hand corner. Tried this morning
Thanks.
You need to be logged onto an IRC server to start channels/games. Btw, when you said "offline" earlier, did you mean that the computer is not connected to the Internet at all, and cannot join irc.fengestad.no? When you said "offline" I thought you meant a local area network game (but still with Internet connection).

You do need an Internet connection for game setup to work -game setup is done through IRC, though the games themselves can be played only on the local network.

I'll soon fix a new version with some net play improvements, as well as having the launcher logging to a log file (necessary now, to be able to debug launcher net play problems).
Old 06 August 2012, 18:23   #262
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
The game server is set up correctly. The problem seems to be that you are not connected to the IRC server.
I see

Quote:
You need to be logged onto an IRC server to start channels/games. Btw, when you said "offline" earlier, did you mean that the computer is not connected to the Internet at all, and cannot join irc.fengestad.no? When you said "offline" I thought you meant a local area network game (but still with Internet connection).
Offline/no internet connection (LAN only). It's always good to have the opportunity to play over a LAN (like many other emulators that use a Net Play feature)

Quote:
You do need an Internet connection for game setup to work -game setup is done through IRC, though the games themselves can be played only on the local network.
Maybe a way to start a local/custom basic IRC server instead? That would be great (and less dependent on internet/dedicated servers)

Quote:
I'll soon fix a new version with some net play improvements, as well as having the launcher logging to a log file (necessary now, to be able to debug launcher net play problems).
Good! Is it possible to use another default "gateway" server in the launcher? (e.g.: our own server, instead of fengestag.no)
Old 06 August 2012, 18:39   #263
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Maybe a way to start a local/custom basic IRC server instead? That would be great (and less dependent on internet/dedicated servers)
Well, thought not really difficult to program a minimal/custom IRC server, I'm not really in the mood for it right now -But I wil make it possible to specify a custom IRC server.

Quote:
Good! Is it possible to use another default "gateway" server in the launcher? (e.g.: our own server, instead of fengestag.no)
I should be more consistent with the terminology, so I think I'll stick to these terms from now on:

* IRC server: used for game setup, lobby, chat (such as for instance irc.fengestad.no)
* Netplay server instance: A server which handles a single multi-player game (and dies when the game is over).
* Netplay service: A server which can spawn game servers on demand (example fengestad.no port 25101).

The IRC server is completely independent from the other servers.

But you mean IRC server now right? In which case the answer is: yes, soon
Old 06 August 2012, 18:54   #264
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Well, thought not really difficult to program a minimal/custom IRC server, I'm not really in the mood for it right now -But I wil make it possible to specify a custom IRC server.
Okay, thanks I'm sure that it will be useful

Quote:
I should be more consistent with the terminology, so I think I'll stick to these terms from now on:

* IRC server: used for game setup, lobby, chat (such as for instance irc.fengestad.no)
* Netplay server instance: A server which handles a single multi-player game (and dies when the game is over).
* Netplay service: A server which can spawn game servers on demand (example fengestad.no port 25101).

The IRC server is completely independent from the other servers.

But you mean IRC server now right? In which case the answer is: yes, soon
In fact I was referring to all the servers that are contacted each time you click on "Online Games" (at least the IRC server, yes)
Old 06 August 2012, 19:02   #265
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
In fact I was referring to all the servers that are contacted each time you click on "Online Games" (at least the IRC server, yes)
OK! -Only irc.fengestad.no is contacted when you click "Net play". All other servers are explicitly configured by the user (/startserver or /setserver).

I have implemented an option to override the IRC server. In the next version (compiling now), you can set custom options in the preferences dialog (no GUI controls yet):
Code:
irc_server = address
and you can also override the default nickname:
Code:
irc_nick = yournick
Important note regarding using your own IRC server. Quite a lot of "hidden" messages are sent on the game channels, so you should disable flood protection, or players will get disconnected quite frequently -Also, the server must allow local channels starting with &.

Since there is no dependence between the IRC server and the game servers, I recommend using the default IRC server if you are connected to the Internet.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 06 August 2012 at 19:09.
Old 06 August 2012, 19:06   #266
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Updated version at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u2/

* you can now start online games with only one player (useful for testing).
* colors used for different type of messages.
* the launcher now logs to Documents/FS-UAE/Logs/Launcher.log.txt (using .txt for easier upload to EAB).
* new operator command /check <key> to manually check key, for instance /check amiga_model
* you can override the irc server and automatically chosen irc nickname.
* other minor net play improvements and fixes.
Old 06 August 2012, 19:09   #267
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
OK! -Only irc.fengestad.no is contacted when you click "Net play". All other servers are explicitly configured by the user (/startserver or /setserver).

I have implemented an option to override the IRC server. In the next version (compiling now), you can set custom options in the preferences dialog (no GUI controls yet):
Code:
irc_server = address
and you can also override the default nickname:
Code:
irc_nick = yournick
Important note regarding using your own IRC server. Quite a lot of "hidden" messages are sent on the game channels, so you should disable flood protection, or players will get disconnected quite frequently

Since there is no dependence between the IRC server and the game servers, I recommend using the default IRC server if you are connected to the Internet.

Great! Thanks for this improvement
Old 06 August 2012, 19:16   #268
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I should also make it clear that the IRC server is in no way used when FS-UAE starts and will not impact the performance or latency of net play. It is only used when negotiating net play configuration in the launcher.

And remember that this is just the initial version, so expect a few problems now and then (but please report them )

Further work include (but is not limited to):
  • Broadcast initial configuration when people are joining the game channel.
  • Synchronize more configuration options (eventually, all relevant options).
  • Make sure floppy and kickstart sha1 options are initialized when configurations are loaded.
  • Add more IRC commands (support channel mode setting, making games private/invite only and/or password protected, etc).
  • Flag channel (with a color or symbol) in the channel list if something was said when you are looking at another channel.
  • Detect properly when other people changes nicks.
  • Function to start a local game instance server on demand from the launcher.
  • GUI for starting / choosing net play servers.

Quote:
Great! Thanks for this improvement
Try the new version, out now
Old 06 August 2012, 23:53   #269
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Try the new version, out now
I confirm that it works like a charm I am sure you have good memories of Dyna Blaster
Old 07 August 2012, 21:15   #270
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

New version at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u3/

I will be updating the guide at http://fengestad.no/wp/launcher-net-play with new information soon.

Highlights:
* checksums are initialized when loading configurations, so the game administrator can use the configuration list to load config while in a game channel.
* hard drive / whdload settings are synchronized, so you should be able to start multiplayer whdload-zipped games
* unsafe settings from preferences are automatically ignored when starting a net play game.
* more stuff just works out of the box

Other improvements include:
* new simplified syntax for /startserver and /setserver (port can be skipped, use current number of players in channel if players are not specified). Example: /startserver fengestad.no
* configuration is automatically broadcast by game administrator when players join the channel, so /resetconfig is not needed anymore.
* new commands /ready and /notready
* decrypted kickstart sha1 is calculated when selecting a Cloanto ROM.
* more configuration keys are synchronized (including memory settings).
* improved /check and /verify commands for debugging
* uae_ options are stripped when starting a netplay game.
* you can send raw irc commands with /raw, useful to be able to send non-implement IRC commands.
* support more common IRC commands: /msg /oper /whois /away /mode.
* optional new setting irc_nickserv_pass to automatically log in with nickserv on connect.
* half-op status is also displayed in nick list (along with op, voice).

irc.fengestad.no
* Nickserv and chanserv are now running on irc.fengestad.no, so nicknames and channels can be registered.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 07 August 2012 at 21:25.
Old 07 August 2012, 21:27   #271
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Another breakthrough Well done soldier!
Old 07 August 2012, 23:06   #272
lesta_smsc

Once again, another fine release! Frode, you have given us Network players a new lease of life! - I'm glad I requested it, and that you implemented it - initially as a prototype but now as a working product!
Old 07 August 2012, 23:58   #273
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Finally tested the launcher chat / game setup feature on Mac -works perfetly. Mac OS packages and Linux debs are now added to http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Once again, another fine release! Frode, you have given us Network players a new lease of life! - I'm glad I requested it, and that you implemented it - initially as a prototype but now as a working product!
Thanks! Yes, I wasn't planning to do net play -so it really is "your fault"

The launcher is getting along nicely now. A bit more GUI (server browser, join/create game dialogs) so people don't have to learn (the couple of) IRC-like commands - and some polish, and a three-year old will be able to start online games

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 08 August 2012 at 00:44.
Old 08 August 2012, 03:49   #274
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Finally tested the launcher chat / game setup feature on Mac -works perfetly. Mac OS packages and Linux debs are now added to http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u3/

Thanks! Yes, I wasn't planning to do net play -so it really is "your fault"

The launcher is getting along nicely now. A bit more GUI (server browser, join/create game dialogs) so people don't have to learn (the couple of) IRC-like commands - and some polish, and a three-year old will be able to start online games
Don't forget us English too! haha - ok bad joke! . Frode will your 3 year old be testing your theory?!

You never answered my question: Do you come online for Net Play session? PM me!
Old 08 August 2012, 10:34   #275
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Frode has played Dyna Blaster online 2 days ago For sure, a future champion
Beware, we have a fox in the henhouse
Old 08 August 2012, 12:32   #276
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

@Frode: I have tried another IRC Server with the same issue we have experienced yesterday using the launcher: "not in active game channel"
Old 08 August 2012, 13:18   #277
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Frode has played Dyna Blaster online 2 days ago For sure, a future champion
Beware, we have a fox in the henhouse
Haha - competition time! :P
Old 08 August 2012, 17:55   #278
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Don't forget us English too! haha - ok bad joke! . Frode will your 3 year old be testing your theory?!
Yes, but this experiment will have to wait 3 years and a few weeks

Quote:
I'm monitoring irc.fengestad.no / #lobby with a regular IRC client (in the evenings)!

Quote:
@Frode: I have tried another IRC Server with the same issue we have experienced yesterday using the launcher: "not in active game channel"
I fixed the IRC problem yesterday -Here is a new Windows build for you (also includes a couple of other improvements):
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u4

* fixed a problem when connecting to some IRC servers
* do not copy WHDLoad base dir in net play mode to avoid problems with differing files (WHDLoad key and prefs files will not be copied)
* you can also use the following names for game channels: #x-game (for instance #my-game) in case you connect to a custom IRC server without support for & channel names.
* recognized + and ! prefixes for IRC channels
Old 08 August 2012, 18:36   #279
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
I fixed the IRC problem yesterday -Here is a new Windows build for you (also includes a couple of other improvements):
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/1.3.23u4

* fixed a problem when connecting to some IRC servers
* do not copy WHDLoad base dir in net play mode to avoid problems with differing files (WHDLoad key and prefs files will not be copied)
* you can also use the following names for game channels: #x-game (for instance #my-game) in case you connect to a custom IRC server without support for & channel names.
* recognized + and ! prefixes for IRC channels
Thanks, it's better
Do I have to manually apply the operator status when only one user is in a channel? ("verify: you need to be an operator" => /mode username +o). Is it supposed to work automatically without this manual command?

If I type "/startserver 127.0.0.1 2" when a channel is added with one user inside, the error "problem starting game server: URLError(error(10061, "Aucune connexion n'a pu \xeatre \xe9tablie car l'ordinateur cible l'a express\xe9ment refus\xe9e"),)" is displayed (=connection denied by the computer). Any idea?
Old 08 August 2012, 18:43   #280
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Thanks, it's better
Do I have to manually apply the operator status when only one user is in a channel? ("verify: you need to be an operator" => /mode username +o). Is it supposed to work automatically without this manual command?
If your nick has the @ prefix in the nick list, you are operator. You are automatically op when creating a new channel. You can only use the mode command to promote *another* user to operator, and you would normally not need to do this.

Quote:
If I type "/startserver 127.0.0.1 2" when a channel is added with one user inside, the error "problem starting game server: URLError(error(10061, "Aucune connexion n'a pu \xeatre \xe9tablie car l'ordinateur cible l'a express\xe9ment refus\xe9e"),)" is displayed (=connection denied by the computer). Any idea?
The command "/startserver 127.0.0.1" will try to contact a net play service running on 127.0.0.1 port 25101. Have you this service running? (Use /setserver instead if you have started a single instance game server manually - and not running the net play service).