English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 November 2022, 16:31   #1
Orionis5

Angry Amiga 1200 - 2,5" Buffered IDE interface experience

I bought 2,5" Buffered IDE interface Type A from Amiga store thinking to have better and more reliable connection to CF drive but it is a nightmare.
I use Amiga 1200 1D1 3.14 with PA-CF18H CF interface and SunDisk CF card. I actually find this PA-CF18H interface one of better ones I had. It works with multiple CF cards I have.
Now problems I have when I connect new buffered IDE interface in between:
- it detects CF card properly
- it auto partitions two partitions by default...
...but that is it - I can not change anymore and I can not access this two partitions. Everytime Amiga tries to access them it hangups, same happens when I try to repartition the drive and save changes to disk - it hangups. I tried to clean the CF card again on PC and back but same result, also different cable... I simply can not work with IDE buffered interface that is advertised as giving more reliable connection. I actually find that most of my CF cards (SunDisk larger ones and Transcend do not even work on detection with IDE buffered).
Any experience by anybody and what am I missing? This is simply the case, less is better.
Old 24 November 2022, 21:38   #2
Boing-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionis5 View Post
I bought 2,5" Buffered IDE interface Type A from Amiga store thinking to have better and more reliable connection to CF drive but it is a nightmare.
I use Amiga 1200 1D1 3.14 with PA-CF18H CF interface and SunDisk CF card. I actually find this PA-CF18H interface one of better ones I had. It works with multiple CF cards I have.
Now problems I have when I connect new buffered IDE interface in between:
- it detects CF card properly
- it auto partitions two partitions by default...
...but that is it - I can not change anymore and I can not access this two partitions. Everytime Amiga tries to access them it hangups, same happens when I try to repartition the drive and save changes to disk - it hangups. I tried to clean the CF card again on PC and back but same result, also different cable... I simply can not work with IDE buffered interface that is advertised as giving more reliable connection. I actually find that most of my CF cards (SunDisk larger ones and Transcend do not even work on detection with IDE buffered).
Any experience by anybody and what am I missing? This is simply the case, less is better.
First off. Link to the actual adapter you are using.

Second. How are you setting this up? Using the master first IDE connector?

Thirdly. When you are setting this up. Which filesystem and settings are you using?
Old 24 November 2022, 21:59   #3
Orionis5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
First off. Link to the actual adapter you are using.

Second. How are you setting this up? Using the master first IDE connector?

Thirdly. When you are setting this up. Which filesystem and settings are you using?
Links: IDE to CF used http://www.pc-adapter.net/product/184.html - bought it from Vesalia
Problematic buffered adapter - https://amigastore.eu/en/882-25-buff...nterface-.html

Master and I use same setting as without adapter where it works. I understand from specs since no drivers or special file system is provided as working on same setting and file system as without only with extra buffer as safety for data transfer. Nothing in manual except how to connect.

File system default - FFS when you scan clean drive and save it. All I can do, no access to non formatted partitions or to change them later. Hagnups. Tried to format them on WinUae and it worked. Back to Amiga with buffered IDE and hangup on access. Without buffer all OK.
Tested with 2 buffered adapters from amiga store to exclude one adapter fault. Same.

Waiting for any experience with this buffered adapters from other users.

Last edited by Orionis5; 24 November 2022 at 22:31.