Phone Homer

Is this the same thing?
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 May 2023, 10:02   #22
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovenyimre View Post
There is no data about the FPS inside IFF anim files!... Am I right?...
No, it's at offset 14 in each ANHD chunk. See https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/ANIM_IFF_CEL_Animations

As it is specified in integer 1/60ths of a second, it is actually impossible to have an IFF ANIM that plays smoothly at 25 FPS.
Old 30 May 2023, 11:48   #23
Cobe

Interesting!
So your tool does its "pre-compression" so to call it and outputs regulars iffs that could be played in some other iff player?
Am i getting this right?
And when you say your player plays compressed iff anims, is it just regular rle decoding being done on the fly or something more?
Old 30 May 2023, 23:12   #24
sovenyimre

Retro1234!
Yes. That is the same.

Minuous!
Thank You. I didn't take this into account... but I will.
I think I can still switch to ntsc to get the 30 fps timing with the integer and the extra 5 frames will not contain data in the anim file to process?! It means that i have to skip every 5 frames and I am right where I want to be?
Actually, I didn't want to display animations (with changing fps and palette, etc...), but movie-like things, so I didn't take into account anything in the file header. It wasn't necessary, because it's AMOS basic with simple commands. The program just pushes the image out and that's it. When I start to complicate it, of course it can slow down...for example, now I'm want the changeable palette, since the amos command doesn't handle it by default and it is a slowdown if I check for (CMAP) palette changes. At least ....worth a try.

Cobe!
I don't use any extra compression, only what is supported by the basic ANIM format (Delta), I just make it easier for the builder by preparing (manipulating) the original image sequences. So it can be played with other animplayers as well.
So it is not more, than a normal if anim, I just filter out the changes in advance and this reduces its size considerably and the machine can read it faster.
This Reduced thing was not presented in the YouTube video because I thought it up afterwards. I wanted to be faster. The reduced version of the video in the presentation is almost fluid 25fps on my A1200+8MB without an accelerator card, in case the sound is played from Ram.
I know that it is not CDXL in quality, but i think the file size is more friendly.

Last edited by sovenyimre; 31 May 2023 at 11:16.
Old 06 June 2023, 13:20   #25
Cobe

Thanks for the explanation.
Hope one day I'll find time to compare it with cdxl on real unexpanded cd32. The lower quality wouldnt boterh me to much if the fps and resolution is better.
Old 07 June 2023, 23:47   #26
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
No, it's at offset 14 in each ANHD chunk. See https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/ANIM_IFF_CEL_Animations

As it is specified in integer 1/60ths of a second, it is actually impossible to have an IFF ANIM that plays smoothly at 25 FPS.
It is specified in jiffies and it is field rate (so it should be not 1/60 but 1001/60000 for US), for PAL it can be 1/50 so you can have proper 25 fps.
Also you can have VFR video and as granularity is limited by video output then 25 fps is possible.
Old 08 June 2023, 09:01   #27
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

1 jiffy = 1/60 second, as stated multiple times in the official format specification.
Old 13 June 2023, 09:34   #28
sovenyimre

In order to achieve higher speed, I split the player in two. One targets 25 fps and doesn't care what's in the chunk. The other one tries to pay attention to as many "chunk" things as possible (jiffy, color change, soundsames inside the file)
Btw... Does anyone know where I can find information about the timing of the sounds played during the animations? ...I just found that every animator program stores/handles this differently
I tried to get by on Eric Schwarz's superfrog anime. I did not find Animfx specs but Fps+Palette change is pretty much fine and I have the soundsamples and frequency, but I don't know which chunk/offset they are activated on.
At the same time, I managed to improve the motion filter tool, so it produces a much better image. Clears damaged areas by movement (ham or artifact).
I don't have a Cd32 and the comparison to emulation isn't quite accurate either, but I got curious. Compared to the A1200Hdd, what is its reading speed?
Old 13 June 2023, 12:24   #29
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovenyimre View Post
I don't have a Cd32 and the comparison to emulation isn't quite accurate either, but I got curious. Compared to the A1200Hdd, what is its reading speed?
Big diffrence. If i remeber correctly hdd speed is around 1.7mb while cd speed is just 300kb/s.
You could make iso. Winuae has a button to toggle approximate cd reading speed when emulating cd32.
Old 04 July 2023, 00:16   #30
sovenyimre

new versions:
-the proper player can play Eric Schwartz's type AnimFx files with timed sounds (not perfect)
-the quality of the reducer has improved. AMOS is no longer needed, now it is a standalone program.
Old 13 August 2023, 22:49   #31
sovenyimre

new versions:
Reducer: Result is better quality and with adjustable settings
Player: Can jump forward/backward 100 frames and able to diredct jump/seek with mouse.