English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 March 2020, 18:25   #1
keito

Floppy disk PiMIGA - [EDIT: Offensive word removed] Edition - Public Beta 1

Since the whole world is on lock down with the virus outbreak, I figured now is a good time to give you something to play with while you self isolate.

So here is the first public beta for PiMIGA. This first release is for Raspberry Pi4 and requires a 32GB sdcard. [EDIT: Offensive word removed]

Read the pdf guide for setup instructions, crack open a beer and have fun! Please remember that this is still a work in progress, so there will be bugs.

Huge thanks to Kevin Orbaker for providing hosting for these links:

EDIT 2: LINKS REMOVED

Fancy supporting me to see updates? Or just want to donate something to say thanks, you can do all that here:

Patreon link removed considering that the download doesn't seem to exist anymore, and the only link is for v1.1 which requires payment - BippyM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COLLAGE1.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	66534  

Last edited by BippyM; 29 March 2020 at 11:57. Reason: complaints over a word. smh.
Old 21 March 2020, 22:47   #2
yssing

You should really find an other name for this edition.
Old 21 March 2020, 22:58   #3
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

yup, i hear that name too often to like it :/
Old 21 March 2020, 23:01   #4
manossg

Good stuff, I will definitely give this a go!
Old 22 March 2020, 00:18   #5
keito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
title should be edited too.
Are you fo'real?

I removed the word "corona" from the thread content, I was unable to edit the title.

Honestly if you read the guide you would find a fairly normal explanation for the name.

Everyone is self isolating in some way or another, some Amiga people I know are really struggling at home alone and in quite a bad way due to other illnesses.

This edition is for them firstly, and for everyone else too. I put this out earlier than I was planning to so that in these difficult days you could have some Amiga goodness to play with while getting through it all. No offence was meant, and you're welcome.

I do however appreciate that it may be sensitive to other people, which is why I have removed it from the thread.

Remind me not to post news here again.
Peace.
Old 22 March 2020, 00:22   #6
manossg

On the topic of corona being an offensive word, I don't feel that this is the case here and I don't understand the reactions.
Old 22 March 2020, 00:34   #7
lesta_smsc

The images look great! It's a shame I don't have an RPi.

I noticed that you require a kickstart ROM which is not included for legal reasons, but I presume this contains Workbench files? Aren't these also still technically 'sold' by Cloanto, so may cause legal problems?
Old 22 March 2020, 00:35   #8
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by keito View Post
I removed the word "corona" from the thread content, I was unable to edit the title.
You need a Mod or Admin to step in and change the main title.

I'll give this a try tomorrow.
Old 22 March 2020, 01:15   #9
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
/me steps in:
Keito, I have changed the thread title . If you want something else there, feel free to either PM me or post in this thread

Cherish Owning Rare Oustanding Neat Amiga ^_^

Last edited by lilalurl; 22 March 2020 at 01:22.
Old 22 March 2020, 04:01   #10
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keito View Post
Are you fo'real?

Honestly if you read the guide you would find a fairly normal explanation for the name.

Everyone is self isolating in some way or another, some Amiga people I know are really struggling at home alone and in quite a bad way due to other illnesses.

This edition is for them firstly, and for everyone else too. I put this out earlier than I was planning to so that in these difficult days you could have some Amiga goodness to play with while getting through it all. No offence was meant, and you're welcome.

I do however appreciate that it may be sensitive to other people, which is why I have removed it from the thread.

Remind me not to post news here again.
Peace.

The image you posted is interesting. Christianity is problematic with Pagan origins thus the Santa picture is a bit off. Not everyone is self-isolating, I know I'm not. I do a lot of stuff online and without, so does my mate, and my family but we're unlike a lot of people who misunderstand the Self-Isolation thing - as well as the virus.

People have been self-isolating since the first iPhone was released...and Cell Phone usage has caused a huge rise in it. It's been called "Screen Time"..and too much of it.

Your reply comes across as irritated and grumpy. Perhaps your release of this should have been Self-Isolated a bit more? I think Amiga News should be fun, enjoyable, not profane[...what had to be edited].
Old 22 March 2020, 10:47   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

Great production but naming something "corona" something is of bad taste, specially now where we don't know how long this shitty situation is gonna end.

And yes I am for real, here since 2004 and not using to harrass people. Just wanted to get to the bottom of this.

I wouldn't have minded a more subtle allusion like "at home edition".
Old 22 March 2020, 12:13   #12
keito

Perhaps I over reacted to the fastidious nature of the replies. The use of the word 'corona' is certainly not in bad taste once you have context. I feel no way about it, thanks admin for your quick response.
Old 22 March 2020, 15:58   #13
ptyerman

What a bunch of girly snowflakes, get a grip!
You saying we can't mention the Sun's corona now?
How about the Mexican beer called corona made in Belgium?
Are folk in the city of Corona California supposed to deny it even exists now?
How about the Lunar Corona?
The 2d cross platform game engine Corona?
Do I need to continue?
It's a word used extensively both as a name and a description, now frigging grow up and stop being snowflakes!!!!
Old 22 March 2020, 16:59   #14
manossg

Sometimes extensive political correctness can be as harmful, if not more so, as a virus, not to mention contagious.

And I am a guy fearing for my parents' health, as well as having lost more than half of my earnings because of the damn virus. Did I feel that somebody is making fun of me, because he used the word corona? Heck, no, the guy made my day better.

I don't find the word Corona insulting at all. Au contraire, we all have to stand tall and face this situation we are in, instead of pretending it's not there. Humour is a very effective weapon against fear and panic and it's a great way to deal with this positively and productively, as the OP has done and I publicly thank him for it (even though my damn connection hasn't yet managed to download the big image file).
Old 22 March 2020, 17:17   #15
lilalurl
Global Moderator

This is getting off-topic, so if people want to discuss something else than PiMIGA itself, they should start a thread in the off-topic section of the forums.
Old 22 March 2020, 20:56   #16
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Is not offensive and in some case cannot be removed (corona in italian and spanish means Crown) is just that everyone is talking about that lately and is way overused; a case of "word fatigue"

Example?
Online newspaper, ten articles out of twenty mention it

email
got like fifty messages related from corporate entities, newsletters, various spam still growing

facebook
for less straining in the machine i read the mbasic version and like five out ten post in the feed mention it

TV news
more than half of it is related to that

and so on

Am already p1553d as hell that need to stay home with both jobs suspended (at least one of the two offer some compensation), short on toilet paper, nagging wife and this does NOT help me to relax at least here, is a damn war out there

Last edited by saimon69; 22 March 2020 at 21:06.
Old 22 March 2020, 21:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
The images look great! It's a shame I don't have an RPi.

I noticed that you require a kickstart ROM which is not included for legal reasons, but I presume this contains Workbench files? Aren't these also still technically 'sold' by Cloanto, so may cause legal problems?
Look like it to the op plz reply still look bloody nice though

ALSO PEOPLE LET GET BACK ON TOPIC
Old 22 March 2020, 21:27   #18
keito

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512k View Post
Look like it to the op plz reply still look bloody nice though

ALSO PEOPLE LET GET BACK ON TOPIC

Actually yes you're right. I should not have posted this here, in my eagerness and naivety to share it with you all I forgot the rules of the forum, you have my apologies for that.

I will request admin remove the thread.
Cheers.

Last edited by keito; 22 March 2020 at 21:35.
Old 22 March 2020, 21:49   #19
jotd
This cat is no more

no need to remove the thread. Just ask admins remove the off-topic & offensive rant messages
Old 22 March 2020, 22:43   #20
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Temporary lockdown, so I can discuss some stuff with Keito.

Edit: Keito is working on a way to distribute his work in a convenient way without including the Workbench files. The thread will be re-opened when he asks us.

Last edited by lilalurl; 23 March 2020 at 16:23.