English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 March 2007, 15:45   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Why Linux is the new Amiga

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...the-new-amiga/

Quote:
Back in the 90s I was, what would now be called, an Amiga fanboy. In past few months I’ve noticed an uncanny similarity between the old Amiga scene, and the current Linux scene.
Old 20 March 2007, 15:48   #2
caffeinekid

I like Amiga OS but I don't like Linux.
Old 20 March 2007, 15:53   #3
jmmijo

Same here, although I am going to mess around with different distro's, Sabayon looks interesting

I need to learn more about how Linux works as the company I work for uses both Windows XP machines along with Linux Servers.
Old 20 March 2007, 16:25   #4
keropi

linux..... BAH!
a collection of patches, different progs working together and not that good... also it's updates and bug-fixes is 5 times more than windows... I have followed linux since 7 years ago, it has developed a lot, but still needs more work to make it user friendly...
the majority of people just want to power-on and use a computer without worrying about editing .conf files or do tricks to install devices...
Old 20 March 2007, 16:29   #5
tootoid

Ubuntu's pretty stress free but I agree, still a long way to go.

Lot's of updates is good! (maybe). Means things are being repaired when they need it, not sitting unfixed until a "Service Pack" comes out.
Old 20 March 2007, 16:59   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Personally i believe if there was a more powerfull unified 3D library for linux (y'know like say DirectX) a simple Gammers Distro with this would blow the crap outa windows! any day of the week...

i have three personal favourite flavours of linux

1. Slackware Linux
2. Fedora
3. SUSE

I would love to see a gammers edition, with all the top notch gfx cards natively supported as well as a spanking 3D graphics support (OpenGL can only do somuch!)
Old 20 March 2007, 18:41   #7
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
linux rocks. Have felt the linux was similar to amiga scene for a long time. that does not mean that ever amiga fan will dig linux. Esp those folks that are into retro to be retro, but those looking a for a cool OS and a commuity based experience have been on linux for a long time now.
just like amigaOS, linux started as the poor mans unix

somebody said linux has a long way to go. What do you mean? Linux is more robust than vista. I have been using to for feature film work for years, what are you missing?
Old 20 March 2007, 19:31   #8
alanwall

I run Amikit/XP/AmigaXL/Aros/and Mandriva on my box and still favor
Amikit.Mandriva is the best distro I have found but it still
-like most distros-has its problems.For a person coming from a novice
pc user to Linux,it would not be fun/easy for most of them.
Its only because of my Amiga use that the Mandriva install
was painless
Old 20 March 2007, 19:49   #9
superBuster
superFreak

I just don't understand. Most linux distros as just as easy to install as windows? Can't speak for mandriva, but just what is so difficult? You just boot the cd and install whats to mess up No need to go out an buy software to burn cd or dvd's no need to install microsoft office, it's all right there. I don't get it.. in my world windows if far more complicated, esp when coming from the amiga mindset.
Old 20 March 2007, 20:15   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superBuster
I just don't understand. Most linux distros as just as easy to install as windows? ...
infact my friend, I have to not only agree, but more so say a whole lot easier than wondoze!

Setting up Win2k3 Server with Exchange (and Back ORAFICE extensions)server took nearly 4 hours with all the updates and sub-services...

SUSE linux ..... 45 minutes..... and that includes all network headers for windows and linux network... *love that samba*

by the way.... never touched SUSE before...

this was wayback when 2k3 Advanced sever had just been released...
Old 20 March 2007, 20:27   #11
ant512

I don't remember ever having to edit a text file on the Amiga in order to change the screen resolution. I had to do that with every Linux distro I ever installed.

I find many more parallels between OSX and the Amiga than I do between Linux and the Amiga.
Old 20 March 2007, 21:16   #12
superBuster
superFreak

ant512, you need to try a modern linux flavor, like the latest SUSE 10. You won't have to edit anything. If you like osx, cool it's just bsd/linux anyway.

@keropi,
sounds like you have not touched linux in th last 7 years. collection of patches? I just installed a fresh linux at home, every thing worked out of the box, USB, DVD and PRINTER.. on the windows side I had to first download patches the for motherboard then update windows with service packs and in the end it did not even come with a real text editor, let alone a compiler..... blah. Nothing but a waste of money. Then after running for a day it got infected with malware.....useless.. only boot into windows to use winuae...

Last edited by superBuster; 20 March 2007 at 21:31.
Old 20 March 2007, 21:43   #13
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superBuster
I have been using to for feature film work for years, what are you missing?
What's a good audio program that is equavalent to Adobe Audition? The emulation scene doesn't seem as strong on Linux.
Old 20 March 2007, 21:49   #14
superBuster
superFreak

I must admit I don't do much audio.... graphics only. 3d animaiton (maya houdini) true while the UAE started on unix it;s not as good as winuae at this point. I tend to write my own tools on linux form time to time.
Any linux audio gurus out there?
Old 20 March 2007, 22:22   #15
mtb

I don't agree that much with what he wrote...

If you want you can find so weak and marginal similarities comparing almost every os and its users.
Old 20 March 2007, 22:38   #16
rbelk
an old bsd'er

Send a message via AIM to rbelk Send a message via Yahoo to rbelk
OK guy's, I've been a UNIX administrator for 27 years and an Amiga user for 20 years. I also got started in both BSD and Linux when they first came out in the early 90's. I'm not saying I'm an expert, far from it, but let me give you my insight.

The Amiga: The hardware and software was extremely simple to use, just plug it in, insert the floppy, and it worked. Fantastic graphics and sound for it's era. Expansion was also easy and even better than some PC's at the time of the A2000! True plug-and-play and it actually worked! On the other hand, if you were more of a techie you could also modify the system to your liking. Bar none the Amiga/Amiga OS was the best of both worlds. Both simple and elegant with all the expansion/tweaking for any techie to enjoy.

BSD/Linux: It's still more techie oriented. The hardware is different on just about all models of PC's and there are numerous BSD/Linux variants. To many and to much for some one who is not computer literate to understand. I still have issues with getting 3D/DRI graphics and sound working correctly on some systems. The desktop is not as defined as the Amiga OS, you have multiple window managers to choose from like KDE/Gnome/IceWM/AMIWN(Amiga OS work-a-like, with screens!)/ETC... Which one to chose from? The applications are getting there though. I use KDE and the integration of KOffice/Konqueror/and the rest of the KDE are great. Just a tiny bit better than Gnome. OpenOffice and GAIM are great, I use them on my Win2k box instead of MSOffice and the AOL IM client.

BSD/Linux still has a ways to go before the average Joe can buy a system at the local electronics store, take it home, plug it in and be productive or have fun with it.

Sorry if I have stepped on any toes, that's just my opinion and yes I do not like using Microsoft software and given the chance, I'll use my Amiga 3000 or a UNIX variant OS instead.
Old 20 March 2007, 22:43   #17
keropi

I have mandriva2006 powerpack edition.... so I know what I am talking about... not only I had to edit resolv.conf so my lan can be recognised, I had several other probs, software related... one that comes quickly in mind was the sound system, with a plain sb live! ... it stuck often , while on the same pc windowsXP run perfect.
also my Philips saa7135 tuner card was not recognised, and driver was a pain in the a$$.
IF it had better commercial software support, linux could be competitive to windows, but for now, at least for me, it offers nothing better, only lack of software... and more eye-candy! lol
Old 20 March 2007, 23:10   #18
superBuster
superFreak

Love to hear other peoples opinions. I guess I have become used to unix/irix and linux envorment that editing text files and such is second nature. Click a button edit a file, what ever. Had trouble with windows boxes, linux boxes or sgi's all the same. In the end there is very little reason for me to use a wndows box, but I have one at home...need to have every (not every but most) platform to test and run stuff.
suse does (or did) have fantasic support) More software sounds good.
Ether way you go you are bound to have some issue, where is windows or linux. None are perfect. Only amigaOS got it right... LOL....
Old 20 March 2007, 23:22   #19
Shamino

Linux sux, we spent days trying to get it to work with the help of some Linux gurus in #linuxhelp, it still doesn't properly. Despite being based on a 1970s OS, it's not reliably backwards compatible, it's rather slow, hideously bloated and ridiculously unfriendly. Oh, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of decent software. It's considerably worse even than Windows which I hate. It really shows how much better AmigaOS is.
Old 20 March 2007, 23:25   #20
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamino
It really shows how much better AmigaOS is.
I think you mean:

It really shows how much better AmigaOS was.