English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 April 2012, 21:08   #1
Weemus

Wav to IFF conversion

I downloaded Goldware and converted a couple of wav files to IFF and dropped them into a new adf file to be read by Sonix but they will not load. Sonix cannot read them. I also downloaded SoundConvert and SoundBoxKey (which is a .keyfile) but WinUAE can't find those either. Any suggestions? Thanks again.
Old 30 April 2012, 21:27   #2
Mequa

Octamed can convert 8-bit WAV samples to IFF format.

I just tried it with Octamed 6.0, after using Audacity to down-scale a WAV from 16-bit to 8-bit with a lower frequency.
Old 01 May 2012, 05:47   #3
Frog

you can use Play16
Old 03 May 2012, 18:54   #4
Weemus

Downloaded Octamed but cannot get it to work either.
Old 03 May 2012, 19:57   #5
daxb

There are several batch sample converter on Aminet. Just pick one you like.
Old 03 May 2012, 23:31   #6
Photon

Since you're using WinUAE, you can use several Windows sound editors, it's sadly not built into the free Audacity which is otherwise excellent.

If you can type a few commands, sox is absolutely brilliant, especially for batch conversions and frequency resampling.

For Sonix, multi-octave samples are supported, and it may very well be that Sonix is strict about the IFF format.

I am 100% sure however that Audiomaster (planetemu.net or Zone time, I guess) writes perfect IFF files for Sonix.

So you can start with just re-saving your already converted IFF's with that. It's also a good way to test that they were converted properly.
Old 07 May 2012, 19:21   #7
Weemus

Thanks everyone. I had Audiomaster years ago and it was great. I will download it in an adf. And I'll keep trying to convert my adfs to Amiga floppies though the process seems cumbersome and requires hardware I don't have. I so wish more software disks were out there. Just a few years ago it seems much was available but today so many old music software packages are hard to find. Thanks again!
Old 07 May 2012, 22:07   #8
Photon

Well, you said WinUAE in the original post. It's great if you want to use your real Amiga, but yes, there is some fiddling. If you have an Amiga with kickstart 1.3 or earlier, you need a harddisk interface or a serial cable+software for transferring stuff. The trick is getting the transfer software on an Amiga disk without transfer software! (The chicken-and-egg problem.)

If you have or insert kickstart 2.0 or higher, it could be easier. While you'd still have to buy Workbench 2.1 disks from someone to install support for 720K PC formatted disks, since you seem mostly about utilities the smaller room on the disks could work out for you.

You need some solution to transfer files at some point. But if you want, you can try out a good method for getting the instruments and musical software used in WinUAE, so it's ready when you want to move to the real thing.
Old 09 May 2012, 04:52   #9
Weemus

In short - Yikes! If I could just find more Amiga software for our 500 that could digitize audio it would be so much easier, but, alas.

Last edited by Weemus; 09 May 2012 at 04:55. Reason: Abadere Conflunxion
Old 09 May 2012, 11:43   #10
daxb

Trackers like Protracker have inbuild sampler. Most will run on A500 but AudioMasterIV is a good choice.
Old 10 May 2012, 19:27   #11
Photon

Well yes, buying a sampler (small hardware box) and connecting a cable to whatever you want to record gets rid of the need to transfer IFF files to the Amiga weemus. They're about 30 EUR, often you can get them for much less. Quality will vary, and I'm not happy sampling anything, you have to have a good setup to not risk getting some noise or burr in the sounds. Of the samplers I've tried I liked one called AMAS the most.

Of course, if there's some program you need on the Amiga you still have to transfer it somehow. I started a thread in support.Hardware about transfer solutions if you want to investigate.

But I think trying out the programs you like in WinUAE and getting a grip on things until you "make the move" and just play around a bit lets you get a clear picture of how you want your Amiga tools set up.

Last edited by Photon; 10 May 2012 at 19:51.