English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 July 2015, 02:45   #1
Kirben

Joystick with 2 button support

Which joysticks offer support for two separate buttons on the Amiga? I noticed many Nintendo and Sega models around, but not sure if they are Amiga compatible.

I'm looking for a classic style (i.e. Quickshot II Turbo) joystick, not Competition Pro style or gamepad.
Old 24 July 2015, 07:41   #2
liviux76

You can always modify your joystick in order to have two separated fire buttons but in order to do that you need a cable with 9 wires (actually even 7 would be enough but it is difficult to find a cable with exactly the 7 wires you need). 7 wires are for directions, ground, fire1 an fire2. The remaining 2 wires are for +5v (useful for autofire circuits) and fire3 (unused). On the Internet there are lot of schematics like this one:
Old 24 July 2015, 07:49   #3
Kirben

Unfortunately I'm not able to modify the hardware myself.
Old 24 July 2015, 15:02   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviux76 View Post
You can always modify your joystick in order to have two separated fire buttons but in order to do that you need a cable with 9 wires (actually even 7 would be enough but it is difficult to find a cable with exactly the 7 wires you need). 7 wires are for directions, ground, fire1 an fire2. The remaining 2 wires are for +5v (useful for autofire circuits) and fire3 (unused). On the Internet there are lot of schematics like this one:
Think you will find pin 6 is Button 1 and 9 is Button 2.
Pin 5 wont be 5v, thats pin 7.
Old 24 July 2015, 15:51   #5
Amiga1992

Get any joystick that would work on a Sega Master System. Quickshot used to make models that with the flick of a switch would support two buttons. They might not be of the form factor you want though.
Old 24 July 2015, 18:45   #6
liviux76

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Think you will find pin 6 is Button 1 and 9 is Button 2.
Pin 5 wont be 5v, thats pin 7.
You are right, mate, I just took the first image I've found on the Internet but that's not 100% exact. This one is correct:

Old 08 August 2015, 05:52   #7
Kirben

I'm actually connecting to a PC system, using the Retronic USB joystick adapter, and they just added an Amstrad CPC firmware. So the CPC464 mode of the QuickShot II Turbo joystick offers two independent buttons now, when using the Amstrad CPC firmware.

I didn't need to look for new joystick after all
Old 08 August 2015, 07:44   #8
Sandro
Banned

the standard Amiga 2nd button not works in all games ie Aladdin, BCkid etc
some games needs a 1k resistor connected to pin 9 and pin 7 (+5v)
Old 08 August 2015, 07:49   #9
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviux76 View Post
this is wrong

correct amiga joystick pinouts here
http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...ck_Amiga_9_pin
Old 08 August 2015, 13:40   #10
Daedalus

Yep, that looks like the Sega pinout - though it does mean that Mastersystem controllers work as if they were Amiga controllers...
Old 29 October 2017, 01:23   #11
Swevicus

The only joysticks I can think of that have 2-button support are the QuickShot Maverick 1 (both standard and microswitch versions), which supports multiple home computers (including the MSX and Sharp X68000, which never made it out of Japan) and features dual leads (one for each joystick port) and a switch to select which port is active (similar to the NES Advantage), and the Competition Pro Star (blue shell, silver/chrome stick and buttons with two additional smaller, triangular sub-buttons on the top, in front of the stick).

The CP Star comes in two versions: One for home computers with an auto-detect feature (the controls depend on which system it is plugged into), slow motion and rapid fire (the former particularly is superfluous), and one for the Sega Master System (the CP Star was originally built and released for the SMS), with the larger circular buttons acting as Button 1/Start and the smaller triangular sub-buttons being Button 2.

Both models feature a switch at the rear for rapid fire (the home computer version allows you to use it in conjunction with the rapid fire button, while the Sega version simply enables/disables it for BOTH buttons simultaneously) and slow motion (home computer version only)

Get the Sega version of the CP Star if you can find it - it's a much more practical model and can easily be used on other computers (just don't press the smaller buttons if you can help it, as not all machines support 2 buttons, and the MSX/Sharp X68000 has a slightly different pinout compared to the Atari/Commodore/Sega standard).
Old 18 December 2021, 03:50   #12
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Since I too can't mod and since I really wanted to play the full gamut of OCS / ECS games that support 2nd fire button as intended, I got myself a Sega SJ-300 joystick. The plastic smells funny, but anyway, a few observations :
  • Don't use it with an adapter, it sends conflicting signals behind one (tried to use it with my adapter to assign 2nd button to up)
  • No autofire implemented, means you're going to build yourself a strong wrist if you plan to use it with shooters
  • No QuickShot II, but allows a good grip
  • Sandro is right, B.C. Kid doesn't work in 2-button mode with that stick plugged in (or any other SMS stick / pad, in all logic), whereas it works as intended with Mega Drive joypads, I only have an A500 to test it with, but I guess it would be the same with Aladdin, will let you know if some more titles fall into that category
Unlike MD joypads / joysticks, plugging in one of these SMS joypads / joysticks is 100% safe. Well, it's even older than the classic SMS controllers we're all familiar with. In fact, it was released in 1983 (nearly 40 year old plastic shell, no wonder the musty smell doesn't dissipate so quickly) and was made to compliment the SG-1000. As the SegaRetro entry mentions, the arcade stick that was supposed to compliment the SMS was the god-awful Control Stick.

Btw, who is this John Sands dude ? I too want my name written on a joystick box .

Last edited by SquawkBox; 18 December 2021 at 05:04.
Old 19 December 2021, 02:48   #13
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Btw, who is this John Sands dude ? I too want my name written on a joystick box .
John Sands is a retailer of hardware and electronics in New Zealand, I think. They imported Sega computers, amongst others.
Old 19 December 2021, 11:04   #14
Solo Kazuki

Eek n/c ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
this is wrong

correct amiga joystick pinouts here
http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...ck_Amiga_9_pin
I'll just correct that it's not correct pinout. Correct one is here, with ALL pins connection shown.
*What's this n/c button?
Amiga can use all pins, and all are possible to use with existing software. This n/c (sucks ) is 3rd button which is used even in some games originally (without any patch), so it (what above) even more.

I'm recommending to look on this list of games with 2+ buttons support anyone who didn't see it before.

*I know it's not connected (just in case).
Old 19 December 2021, 13:22   #15
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Just Amiga can use 3rd button, or all Commodore computers ? Just curious .
Old 04 January 2022, 12:33   #16
Solo Kazuki

Joystick with 3 (!) independent buttons

Anyone interested in joystick with even three independent buttons should observe this topic about UniThor joystick.
Old 04 January 2022, 12:35   #17
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Just Amiga can use 3rd button, or all Commodore computers ? Just curious .
All Commodore computers can use 3rd button, but in 8bit ones (Vic20/C64/C128/etc) it's made slightly different.
Old 04 January 2022, 12:39   #18
DanyPPC

Yes, the +5V is needed instead of the gnd.
Old 04 January 2022, 14:17   #19
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
Yes, the +5V is needed instead of the gnd.
But only for 2nd and 3rd button, 1st one is linked to the GND.