English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many buttons on your controller?
1 14 23.73%
2 19 32.20%
3-6 10 16.95%
7+ 16 27.12%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 December 2021, 07:38   #21
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Single button joystick for me.. Up to jump is only a problem if your controller doesn't have crisp directions.
It's looong time ago (over 20 years) when "up or button for jump" was only deciding something. When You realize using keyboard is not needed at all, it's the moment when You break this wrong thinking and understand why CD32 standard have 7 buttons. Even in some arcade games You must use additional buttons, so I don't want "go back" before I found that You can eject/call module on second button in R-Type - it was first game when I found additional buttons useful.
Old 13 December 2021, 08:11   #22
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
it's the moment when You break this wrong thinking
...and I guess you hold the sacred, universal truth about what is right and what is wrong in controller choice? :P
Old 13 December 2021, 08:33   #23
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
All my joysticks have always had 2 buttons but they were not independant so did the same function depending on if you were left or right handed.

I can't recall any games that needed more than one button from back in the day either.
As long as the standard is 1 action button it is hard to make a game that would require 2 button. A few I remember that would not require but benefit from extra button. Mostly without extra button space key was used.

Aladdin
R-type
Projeckt X
Roadkill
Super Stardust
Xtreme Racing
Turrican series
Marvin's Marvellous Adventure - I think this one required more buttons?
Old 13 December 2021, 08:59   #24
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
...and I guess you hold the sacred, universal truth about what is right and what is wrong in controller choice? :P
I didn't said that, even in "profanum" way.
It's my way how I was made such decision, and with clear reason why. Instead some polemic and give some arguments against it, You trying to go "sancta veritas" way.
But as I see You want some excominicate for me for not believing "the sacred truth of holy one button"?

For me using keyboard when You can have it on controller without lose concentration... let's say weird. And that's my opinion, use even controller without any buttons at all if You want.
Old 13 December 2021, 09:09   #25
manossg

Quote:
I didn't said that, even in "profanum" way.
It's my way how I was made such decision, and with clear reason why. Instead some polemic and give some arguments against it, You trying to go "sancta veritas" way.
But as I see You want some excominicate for me for not believing "the sacred truth of holy one button"?

For me using keyboard when You can have it on controller without lose concentration... let's say weird. And that's my opinion, use even controller without any buttons at all if You want.
Wow, there, cowboy, hold your horses.

I guess there must be a language barrier here, but I never claimed that I know the "holy truth" and everybody else is wrong. Unlike some people. :P

I just know how *I* enjoy my retrogaming controllers, so having the multibuttonitis-afflicted crusaders telling me how I should play makes me cringe.
Old 13 December 2021, 10:06   #26
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Wow, there, cowboy, hold your horses
I'm affraid Your horses are long ago on the prarie...

Quote:
I never claimed that I know the "holy truth" and everybody else is wrong.
Neither I, so who begins saying anything about this "holy truth" in this topic?

Quote:
Unlike some people. :P
Oh! Show me who and in which way!

Quote:
I just know how *I* enjoy my retrogaming controllers, so having the multibuttonitis-afflicted crusaders telling me how I should play makes me cringe.
And who was that bad person? You see that he forcing someone something? Show me how and when he does it, so we can punish him!

And, seriously, don't put me something what i didn't because I don't like this. I just said what was way that I (nobody else) realise why more buttons are useful to anything than jump, what is often reason why more than one button is not needed ("...you can jump with up...".) All above this is just Your misinterpreting or imagination.
Old 13 December 2021, 10:30   #27
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I can't recall any games that needed more than one button from back in the day either.
Lack of lecithin? Or bad memory overall?
There are many games, just think when You must use keyboard to something in gameplay.
Look on this list and just omit jump function.
Old 13 December 2021, 10:37   #28
manossg

Quote:
I'm affraid Your horses are long ago on the prarie...
Charming!

Quote:
Neither I, so who begins saying anything about this "holy truth" in this topic?
Oh! Show me who and in which way!
And who was that bad person? You see that he forcing someone something? Show me how and when he does it, so we can punish him!
Gladly, I am sure you will recognize the culprit, although I might be imagining his words:
Quote:
It's looong time ago (over 20 years) when "up or button for jump" was only deciding something. When You realize using keyboard is not needed at all, it's the moment when You break this wrong thinking and understand why CD32 standard have 7 buttons.
Seriously, man, it is perfectly ok for everybody to enjoy their retrogaming experience in their own way. There is no right or wrong way and everybody is happy today that there have been fixes by the Amiga wizards that allow this choice.
Old 13 December 2021, 10:45   #29
Solo Kazuki

Yes, the wrong thinking is what I mentioned many times that there is no need more buttons for anything than jump. Get it? Or Not?
Please stop writing such things when someone even didn't think about force something someone.
Old 13 December 2021, 10:48   #30
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Somebody has to stop it with the passive aggressive way of speaking. Stop triggering each other.
Old 13 December 2021, 10:51   #31
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Somebody has to stop it with the passive aggressive way of speaking. Stop triggering each other.
Sorry but I cannot get when someone accuse me something what I didn't. Really, I should ignore it.

Edit: Is there someone else which understand it as "abused one"? Please, tell it, because maybe I didn't write it right way.
Old 13 December 2021, 10:55   #32
manossg

Quote:
Yes, the wrong thinking is what I mentioned many times that there is no need more buttons for anything than jump. Get it? Or Not?
Who are you, mate, to decide what is "wrong or right thinking"? It all boils down to personal opinion and taste, although I think the language barrier might play a role here.
Old 13 December 2021, 11:00   #33
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Who are you, mate, to decide what is "wrong or right thinking"? It all boils down to personal opinion and taste, although I think the language barrier might play a role here.
You didn't get it after many times.
Yes THE WRONG THINKING is that additional buttons are not needed for anything than jump, because IT'S NOT TRUTH.
That's my last word in this case, because I have enough...

Edit: In other words, play as You like, even with teeth or feet, but don't say that additional buttons are no use except jump.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 13 December 2021 at 11:06.
Old 13 December 2021, 11:07   #34
manossg

Quote:
Yes THE WRONG THINKING is that additional buttons are not needed for anything than jump, because IT'S NOT TRUTH.
Yes, master!
(Charming fellow, indeed)
Old 13 December 2021, 11:13   #35
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Yes, master!
(Charming fellow, indeed)
I didn't say about personal opinion but option. Not leaving the option is wrong thinking, probably because not knowing. It's up to You what You prefer, do it as You want.

Serioulsy, Is that guy have problems with understanding or I'm writing it wrong way?
Old 13 December 2021, 11:19   #36
Gordon
Settler

I dont understand whats going on but I do know you are brothers of Amiga, so shake hands and move on. Come on guys, not worth argueing over buttons.
Old 13 December 2021, 12:48   #37
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
As long as the standard is 1 action button it is hard to make a game that would require 2 button. A few I remember that would not require but benefit from extra button. Mostly without extra button space key was used.
In some cases [SPACE] is not enough, sometimes even more keys are needed. There are even games where CD32 standard seven buttons are not enough, e.g. *Quasar Wars where controls were very hard to map (hi JOTD ).

*It's for WHDLoad and ok, some controls are added, but some changed (weapon chose).

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 13 December 2021 at 13:01.
Old 13 December 2021, 21:52   #38
Photon

I voted 3-6 because 3 is the minimum on my controllers for Amiga. The actual controller may have more buttons which I wire to up and down.

For retrogaming in general, I have many controllers, and my goto is the XBox 360 controller which has 14(?) buttons.

But I have many joysticks, both for retrogaming and Amiga. Yes, the ones for use with Amiga has minimum 3 buttons.

But I also have NES controllers both USB and NOS. They are special-made for platformers and comfy, so I use them for that. 2 buttons.
Old 17 December 2021, 22:53   #39
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The Mega Drive 3-button D-pad was never smooth, and it's sharp edged too.
Too late, I bought one (the MegaFire control pad). Gave it a try and resold it immediately at a bargain, because of the unfitting D-pad.

Got myself a 3-button AsciiPad MD instead. Much better D-pad, and quite comfortable in hands. I use it on my Amiga 500 along with the Open C64 / Amiga Mega Drive joypad adapter which I have mentioned in some other thread recently.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 18 December 2021 at 05:33.
Old 10 January 2022, 05:50   #40
mkrleza

Only two buttons for me, thank you (rapid fire not included)