English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 03 September 2021, 23:53   #1
Photon

Perfect games for chilling in the sofa with controller in lap?

Controller (joypad/D-pad) is not ideal for many action games, as they require quick reactions and a tight joystick, or Autofire because it's difficult to buttonmash with a thumb in e.g. a shooter.

But it's very comfy to use one, and if the game is not too hectic you can take break and relax with it.

I think action puzzles, non-frustrating platformers, and similar would fit what I'm looking for. Anything with a "OK, move there. Boop, move that there, jump" loop.

Gravity-Force, Giana, and Parasol Stars worked pretty well, action puzzles I know less about.

Something with a little bit of puzzling /planning / exploration, with a medium tempo.

Puyo Puyo but no stressful tempo/sound effects. Bubble Bobble without all the enemies going for you immediately. Levels that last 2 minutes, not 20 seconds or you die.

To vary the hectic action performances with.

Suggestions? (Amiga OCS)

p.s. I have up mapped to a button on the controller, so that's a non-issue.

Last edited by Photon; 04 September 2021 at 02:08.
Old 04 September 2021, 01:11   #2
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

My go to game for chilling is often Flashback
Old 04 September 2021, 01:32   #3
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Nightmare in the Dark, since it feels great to send ghoulish corpses to oblivion by throwing at them balls of fire, without doubt a nifty Bubble Bobble clone IMHO. Hey, you didn't say Amiga only.

P.S. : Thread belongs to Nostalgia & Memories section btw
Old 04 September 2021, 02:14   #4
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
My go to game for chilling is often Flashback
Thx, this ticks the exploration box, but I remember it having such an emphasis on timing that you start over often. Which limits exploration. Might still give it a go if there's a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Nightmare in the Dark, since it feels great to send ghoulish corpses to oblivion by throwing at them balls of fire, without doubt a nifty Bubble Bobble clone IMHO. Hey, you didn't say Amiga only.

P.S. : Thread belongs to Nostalgia & Memories section btw
No, they can be new games. And surely this is the forum for help with Amiga games, and this is the reason for the separate general retrogaming forum?

Either way, I've clarified my post that it's Amiga OCS, and put 3 games that give a rough idea about the tempo.
Old 04 September 2021, 02:55   #5
Radertified

I'm currently playing through Stone Age which is a puzzle game. Get your guy to the exit within a set time. There's probably trained ADF's if you just want a straight puzzle game without time.

Push-Over, Chips Challenge and other puzzlers sound like they'd be great for what you want since they can be played with just a joystick, don't require amazing reflexes, and I believe all have level passwords so you can pick up where you left off later.
Old 04 September 2021, 02:58   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Benefactor, if you after a decent action puzzler. Same goes for Lost Vikings i guess.

http://hol.abime.net/92

http://hol.abime.net/925
Old 04 September 2021, 04:27   #7
SquawkBox

Snow Bros. (2006) (Ocean)
Unreleased, but fully playable Bubble Bobble clone.
Old 04 September 2021, 10:02   #8
kremiso

i'm searching for these type of games too
sometime the trainer helps a lot in transforming a frustrating game in something better imo

you could try the old Stormlord played at least with infinite time (and music enabled, normally turned off), or Nebulus / Nebulus 2 with infinite time and lives
Old 04 September 2021, 10:41   #9
dreadnought

When using emulation/FPGA I use only a controller, not a joystick, and I play quite a lot of twitch games, sometimes also in High Score clubs. The analogue stick works perfectly well, and you can set autofire as well if need be.
Old 04 September 2021, 13:00   #10
Photon

Thanks for the puzzle games, Stormlord with trainer crossed my mind too and thanks for Benefactor / Lost Vikings, might be worth a revisit I think!

You can't have trainers in WHDLoad, right?
Old 04 September 2021, 15:55   #11
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
You can't have trainers in WHDLoad, right?
Depends on the slave. Most slaves these days have trainers as an option.

For example, the Stormlord readme says:

Quote:
- Trainer included (disable Save High Scores)
CUSTOM1=1 : Unlimited lives
CUSTOM1=2 : Unlimited energy
CUSTOM1=4 : Unlimited times
'Del' key : one fairy needed to finish level
(You can use all options with 'CUSTOM1=7' 1+2+4=7)
Old 04 September 2021, 16:25   #12
SquawkBox

Unlike period cracked games now materialized as ADF's, trainers from WHDload preinstalled games aren't activated through cracktro's if that's what your question implies. I always thought it would be more convenient to activate those cheats coded in slaves in a userfriendly form.
Old 04 September 2021, 21:33   #13
Radertified

Quote:
Unlike period cracked games now materialized as ADF's, trainers from WHDload preinstalled games aren't activated through cracktro's if that's what your question implies. I always thought it would be more convenient to activate those cheats coded in slaves in a userfriendly form.
WHDLoad now allows you to toggle options on/off from the splash screen. Older slaves might just show CUSTOM1, CUSTOM2, etc. in that window, but newer slaves that are written to support it show everything.

For example:

Old 04 September 2021, 22:44   #14
SquawkBox

I already had a rough idea of the toggle options from the splash screen old & new, thanks. Actually, I was thinking of something more in the line of a full scale static gui prior to actual game launching (wishful thinking). Personally, when I use WHDload, I don't want the splash screen to stay put more than a couple of seconds.
Old 04 September 2021, 23:05   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
WHDLoad now allows you to toggle options on/off from the splash screen. Older slaves might just show CUSTOM1, CUSTOM2, etc. in that window, but newer slaves that are written to support it show everything.
except that you can't enable those splash screen options with joypad.

You still need mouse (or hardcoded, but who hardcodes a trainer in a startup script?) (joymouse will reveal very frustrating to use for that because it's darn slow and splash screen has a timeout)

Bert knows about this, but not sure how difficult it is to code that.
Old 04 September 2021, 23:34   #16
Photon

Let's forget about WHDLoad trainers - if I need trainer, I will sort them any which way or do without them or not play the game. It's more about the tempo of the game.

Chill tempo. Do this, go there, open that, pick it up, go there, unlock this...

Or infinite "rotate/sort/stack" puzzle games without the game ended from too increased tempo.

Just a way to clear thoughts while twiddling thumbs.

Opposite of "QUICK! Duck under the spikes and shoot 5 enemies in 1 second!" or "You spawned, you will be punished... we are sending 10 homing AI towards you... shoot or die"
Old 05 September 2021, 00:24   #17
SquawkBox

Treasure Trap (1989) (Electronic Zoo) then. I would assume Rick Dangerous and Gold Of the Aztecs are probably the antithesis of the kind of games you're looking for.
Old 05 September 2021, 00:48   #18
zardoz
Zone Friend

The Settlers (mouse...)
Old 05 September 2021, 02:58   #19
Photon

Quote:
Treasure Trap (1989) (Electronic Zoo) then. I would assume Rick Dangerous and Gold Of the Aztecs are probably the antithesis of the kind of games you're looking for.
Just want to do stuff, not have danger every two seconds, yes. I could check Treasure Trap, reminds of Head over Heels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
The Settlers (mouse...)
Mouse and joystick is verboten! Only controller, sorry.

Took up some suggestions and messed around --

Stormlord has the "go there, do stuff thing" and tempo... just too cramped space with the big bobs and things to kill you really every two yards :P Trainer just means you die every two yards and don't have to start over.

Tried two PD games, Pengo and Pengo 2. Pengo was OKish but I couldn't pick up the gems. If I squeezed all the enemies, next level - no more bonuses and if I let one live and blocked him in, the other enemies respawned. Pengo 2 I could just destroy blocks, not push them and couldn't really do anything.

Wrong way driver was chill, but also some weird Game Over without being game over. I'll feedback and see.

Lost Vikings they all went to the right in a clump and I couldn't control them. Maybe bad ADF.
Old 05 September 2021, 12:03   #20
kremiso

something more easier then, rare commodity on Amiga

what about the Boxx serie?
or the Dizzy one (Fantastic Dizzy, Yolkfolk, etc)

Last edited by kremiso; 05 September 2021 at 12:30.