English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 30 October 2021, 21:05   #1
DisasterIncarna

Blitz2/AmiBlitz - Color Remapped Image...

I made a workbench friendly program but would like a 64color image pasted into the window, no animation or anything just a plain static image, however when i use wblit or bitmaptowindow the image is indeed placed inside the workbench window but the color palette is not correct, if i use the bitmaps palette, then the colors work, the image is shown correctly but the workbench/intuition colors all get changed/messed up.

Is there a way to correct the bitmaps colors without corrupting workbench color palette? i saw in some recent notes on amiblitz that it supports guigfx.library, which when reading its description/notes, seems perfect for dealing with images when making WB friendly programs, does anyone know how to use guigfx.library within amiblitz to just load an image and paste it into the window with correct colors?

Also if that does work, i assume, the same thing could be used for workbench games? found it strange there wasnt a slew of WB games/ports that used something similar, just not done?, not worth it?, or people prefer to do games the traditional way?
Old 30 October 2021, 22:10   #2
Daedalus

Remapping is a little tricky because you need to do things the OS way when you're dealing with graphics on the Workbench screen - it really is far simpler to use your own screen so you have full control over the palette. But, what you need to do is something along the lines of allocating pens for the colours that you require, then remapping your images after you load them to match the pens you obtained. You can't guarantee they'll be the same each time so you can't pre-map the images until you lock the pens.

The AmiBlitz3 includes have some functions for doing that, but (and this is the reason most games don't bother) going through the OS for your blitting, drawing and palette handling within a window on a public screen is a lot slower than doing it directly on your own bitmaps and your own screen.
Old 30 October 2021, 22:36   #3
DisasterIncarna

for the tools and games i planned on making, slow blitting isnt really a problem, im more into slow/minor gfx strategy games like milenium2.2/deuteros (and numerous old wb/board/card games etc) and the likes where this wouldnt be a problem, also not a problem for some useful workbench tools/etc.

The pure lack of speed i have no issue with, its really just the "how do i do it" part thats got me atm as i get back into all things amiga (esp nwo i have os32 and found amiblitz was a thing).

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 30 October 2021 at 23:02.
Old 31 October 2021, 00:10   #4
Daedalus

Ah cool, in that case, check out image.include from AmiBlitz 3. It contains lots of routines for loading images in a variety of formats and blitting them to the screen using system-friendly methods. If you load the include itself into the editor and compile it directly, it launches a demo program and you can see it in action. Cmap.include might be useful too, it provides functions for remapping graphics based on an existing palette.
Old 31 October 2021, 01:27   #5
DisasterIncarna

i think i tried that image routine and it just gave errors on compile so thats why i was looking at other things like the guigfx support, tho i have no idea how to use it properly.
Old 03 November 2021, 13:24   #6
Daedalus

Hmmm, it should just work - at least it does here without making any changes. Maybe you need to set the executable directory so it can find the graphics files it uses? It looks for them in a relative path from where the executable would be.