English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 13 April 2018, 11:37   #1
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Generation Amiga

Since my linking this amazing website in another thread, I have noticed some members didn't know about it and thanking me for doing so.

So just to make sure all in the EAB community are aware of the superb website "Generation Amiga"

Here it is again: www.generationamiga.com

If you have not visited it yet or didn't know of its existence, check it out, you wont be disappointed!
Old 15 April 2018, 01:39   #2
puppypc

Yes, I just saw it in your other post. Although, I wish they didn't have the ridiculously ignorant "disable right click" AND "disable selecting text" javascript. It's a pain to remove
Old 15 April 2018, 03:12   #3
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypc View Post
Yes, I just saw it in your other post. Although, I wish they didn't have the ridiculously ignorant "disable right click" AND "disable selecting text" javascript. It's a pain to remove
Just use "noscript" or similar. They want to disable things on MY machine I'll disable their disabling scripts!
Old 15 April 2018, 11:03   #4
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Also be aware that many of the "stories" can be utter bollocks. I wouldn't trust anything they report as hard fact.
Old 15 April 2018, 11:34   #5
spudje

I agree, I think this is everything but an amazing site. Half of the stories are either outdated, totally blown out of proportion or insinuating stuff that's simply not true...
Old 15 April 2018, 15:15   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Just use "noscript" or similar. They want to disable things on MY machine I'll disable their disabling scripts!
Old 15 April 2018, 18:50   #7
Korodny
Zone Friend

No fact checking, almost never quoting or linking to any sources, tons of factual errors or completely wrong stories...

And disabling right-clicking and highlighting text - while at the same time stealing all your own pictures from all over the web?

Better avoid this one.
Old 15 April 2018, 19:18   #8
ptyerman

Disable javascript and it "cures" those right-click and highlight text problems. It has the added bonus of making the site less of a pain to use.
Doesn't cure the bogus or dramatised stories with no reference links though unfortunately!
Old 15 April 2018, 22:36   #9
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

I'm all for a website posting news about Amiga related stuff, but this is just garbage. Most articles are basically click bait without sources with information that is either skewed to sound more incredible, outdated or simply false.
Old 16 April 2018, 01:01   #10
Sinphaltimus

No one should ever visit that site for any reason unless you're into things like "The Onion" because that's about how real and accurate most of those articles are.
Old 16 April 2018, 02:41   #11
-Acid-

wow that one got panned fast lol
Old 16 April 2018, 09:23   #12
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
Most articles are basically click bait without sources with information that is either skewed to sound more incredible, outdated or simply false.
It's sad but I have to agree :-(

Last time Apollo Team updated SAGA Driver package, GenerationAmiga posted that it was now able to output everything through HDMI. We got quite a lot of question and had to explain that it wasnt yet possible.

For reference : https://www.generationamiga.com/2018...-accelerators/

I like the posting rythm and look of feel of that news site but they should consider improving articles quality by verifying informations a bit better.

Last edited by TuKo; 16 April 2018 at 09:52.
Old 16 April 2018, 09:30   #13
spudje

Or that article about 12 cores. Just based on a new PPC 12 core CPU, the author concludes AmigaOS can make use of it, totally ignoring AmigaOS so far can only use 1 core of multi-core CPUs. and Hyperion's development on it is very questionable..
Old 16 April 2018, 11:00   #14
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

They also like to fill out the content with random info copied straight from Wikipedia without even editing it to fit the text
Old 16 April 2018, 16:03   #15
Amiga1992

Sounds like the perfect "made for amiga fans by amiga fans" site!
Old 16 April 2018, 16:27   #16
DamienD
Banned

Thread moved to this Amiga websites reviews section.
Old 16 April 2018, 16:40   #17
Photon

Looks like any of those other 1-click "make your own website" blogs, you know the ones with the same "click this square also for another great read"

I don't mind the inability to comment, anyone is free to write what they want on the web.

It really is up to us to sort articles from stories, the good blogs from the bad. If you like an article then share it, if it's BS don't. Not even if someone was wrong on the Internet. Increases the signal to noise ratio for everyone
Old 17 April 2018, 15:09   #18
adolfo.pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
I'm all for a website posting news about Amiga related stuff, but this is just garbage. Most articles are basically click bait without sources with information that is either skewed to sound more incredible, outdated or simply false.
It's more like watching a Twilight Zone episode. Surprised nobody has mentioned this: https://jonlennartaasenden.wordpress...-arm-amiga-os/
Old 17 April 2018, 16:02   #19
spudje

Exactly, this is what the site does all the time, insinuating things, and blowing stuff totally out of proportion. It makes me mad from time to time.

I even got banned from their twitter for pointing out that a news post was wrong and outdated. About an announced A-EON model that was already cancelled a year before the Generation news post.

I guess the author should apply for a job in the Trump administration.... (or Putin's for that matter).
Old 17 April 2018, 17:06   #20
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Most of what all of you are saying seems to be correct about Generation Amiga. Although the internet is full of fake news.

As for Generation Amiga, I like that someone is putting a considerable amount of effort in trying to keep Amiga recognised. Yes maybe some of the articles could warrant a little more truth but this website is NOT hurting Amiga.

After all, there are few that update as regular as Generation Amiga, everyday something new and it is filled with lots of other related stuff. This lifting pictures and text is a save time basis, which is a giveaway that they must only have a small team, working on the upkeep.

I think like some members have mentioned, we should back any website that looks to be behind the Amiga. Sites like Generation Amiga are our virtual Amiga Formats now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Thread moved to this Amiga websites reviews section.
Thank you!