English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 January 2002, 18:47   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Emulation ram disk

There is something that I have been wondering for some time and maybe someone can enlighten me. When you copy files to the ram disk in WinUAE, where are these files physically stored? On a real Amiga, they are stored in real ram, so you know when you crash they are gone (well, more or less, depending on the crash). Is there some kind of cache or something that WinUAE uses? Typically, I will delete my crap from ram before I quit WinUAE, but if I don't, do these files end up wasting away in some temp folder somewhere?

Last edited by Twistin'Ghost; 21 January 2002 at 18:58.
Old 21 January 2002, 18:53   #2
Paul
RIP Friends

Good point Twist
Old 21 January 2002, 18:54   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I'd expect that it is real RAM...
Old 21 January 2002, 18:59   #4
oldpx

I may be wrong but logically, WinUAE allocates a part of your PC's memory as it is configured in the RAM settings. Under WinUAE, Ram Disk resides in the emulated memory which is actually somewhere within the "real" memory of the PC that is being allocated by WinUAE. Acting like a real amiga, Ram Disk resides in Chip Ram in default (or fast ram, I don't know I never had any fast ram) since this emulated Chip Ram is a part of the real RAM of your PC that is allocated by WinUAE, it disappears when you reset the emulated amiga or shut WinUAE down. And I know about the grammatical mistakes in this pharagraph

Old 21 January 2002, 19:50   #5
MethodGit

Speaking of Cache, I do know that Project32 appears to copy the game's files to a directory named "Cache" in the Project32 directory, before loading. This happened with D/Generation at least, don't know about large-data games. For some reason though, the data remained in the cache dir after I first quit D/Generation (Ctrl+A) and then closed Project32.

Sorry if I'm not meant to talk about that, but I didn't really have anything to say about copying files in RAM, but when Twist said cache it reminded me of something similar I noticed.
Old 21 January 2002, 22:34   #6
derSammler

Quote:
Speaking of Cache, I do know that Project32 appears to copy the game's files to a directory named "Cache" in the Project32 directory, before loading.
Yes, that's right. Project32 needs to copy some files to the cache directory. But it does not copy the whole game to the cache. Only files needed to start the emulation. (startup-sequence and some libs)

Quote:
For some reason though, the data remained in the cache dir after I first quit D/Generation (Ctrl+A) and then closed Project32.
That's why the directory is called "cache". It's faster if you start the game for the next time, because Project32 doesn't have to copy all files again. And of course, the nvram data is stored in the cache directory, too!