English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 August 2022, 00:15   #81
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoUFO View Post
Okay so I plug the AT straight into the Mediator and then from the mediator to the 4000 motherboard.

The Mediator did come with the Elbox ATX adapter. Which ATX PSU would you recommend?
Yep, that's pretty much how I remember it.

I just used a cheap ATX power supply I had laying around and it worked fine. You can't really go wrong with Corsair or Seasonic. I remember reading something around about newer ATX PSU not requiring a minimum load anymore, but keep in mind that some PSU modelsstill expect at least 1A on the 12V line to work correctly.
Old 20 August 2022, 05:01   #82
grelbfarlk

Many cheap ATX power supplies will not supply high and stable 5V voltage. Corsair CX series for example are notorious for this. Seasonic is also an offender as one of their micro ATX power supplies is just a cheap rebadge. You might get lucky with an older one laying around, but just any old power supply that is rated 400W is not any assurance of a stable system.
Old 20 August 2022, 19:14   #83
NunoUFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Many cheap ATX power supplies will not supply high and stable 5V voltage. Corsair CX series for example are notorious for this. Seasonic is also an offender as one of their micro ATX power supplies is just a cheap rebadge. You might get lucky with an older one laying around, but just any old power supply that is rated 400W is not any assurance of a stable system.
I've got a Corsair VS350, will it work?
Old 20 August 2022, 20:08   #84
grelbfarlk

Doesn't look good. Seems to only have 14A on the 5V rail, that's pretty low.
Old 20 August 2022, 21:49   #85
NunoUFO

Quote:
Doesn't look good. Seems to only have 14A on the 5V rail, that's pretty low.
Hmmm not good then... Is there any harm in testing it?
Any partcular models you would recommend?
Old 20 August 2022, 22:37   #86
grelbfarlk

There is no harm in testing it. What we've seen are issues like it fails to see the Voodoo card, the Mediator doesn't initialize properly, or even some motherboard RAM doesn't show up with the correct amount.
Corsair CS550M or any of the CSxxxM series, the GSM series also seem to work well in towered systems. For a desktop several of us with heavily expanded A4000s have used the SF450 which is MicroATX.
Old 24 August 2022, 15:24   #87
NunoUFO

Quote:
There is no harm in testing it. What we've seen are issues like it fails to see the Voodoo card, the Mediator doesn't initialize properly, or even some motherboard RAM doesn't show up with the correct amount.
Corsair CS550M or any of the CSxxxM series, the GSM series also seem to work well in towered systems. For a desktop several of us with heavily expanded A4000s have used the SF450 which is MicroATX.
Just tested it today and it worked.
I've unfortunately decided to sell it as I don't want a tower setup since I personally prefer the classic desktop look and feel.

Thank you for your help!
Nuno

Last edited by NunoUFO; 20 September 2022 at 23:18.