English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 27 February 2019, 11:23   #1
phx
Natteravn

[ongoing] Celtic Heart

Yes, I know, we promised not to do another platformer. But at least it's no jump-and-run!

After the release of Trap Runner my brother wanted to do a small internal project to try out another type of game, while using the existing engine.

This time the game has a medieval setting, where you are a celtic knight who can kill his enemies by a magical strike. The strike is not a shot and only effective in his near vicinity. So you need some good timing to hit.

There are three worlds with 13 levels and an end sequence. So it is pretty much a complete game. And after some doubts we decided to make it publically available. Which is why we are here. It has officially entered beta testing and will be released in the following days.

Some screen shots:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CH1.png
Views:	1046
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	62247   Click image for larger version

Name:	CH2.png
Views:	1176
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	62248   Click image for larger version

Name:	CH3.png
Views:	1109
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	62249   Click image for larger version

Name:	CH4.png
Views:	1128
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	62250  
Old 27 February 2019, 11:50   #2
Gzegzolka

Looks cool I hope that hitting enemies will be fun and levels will look different than in Trap Runner.
Old 27 February 2019, 12:01   #3
dodke

What's wrong with platformers?)
Anyway, looking forward to trying it.

Btw, maybe you're not doing a physical release but one nice thing to have for new disk based games would be to have a downloadable and printable official label design
Old 27 February 2019, 17:35   #4
viddi

Fantastic work and awesome gfx!!
Old 28 February 2019, 15:19   #5
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Ooh, pretty. Looking forward to this!
Old 28 February 2019, 15:28   #6
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

super super nice work...
Old 02 March 2019, 12:23   #7
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Announced on IRN Thanks!
Old 02 March 2019, 16:44   #8
Toni Galvez

Very nice, looking to play it!!! please, allow me to remain you, keep the instruments in the same tracks on all the modules and manage properly the sound effects to not cut the main lead, it is very annoying, please do not make the same mistake in the sound of Trap Runner.
Old 02 March 2019, 18:16   #9
zapiy

Looks awesome, will there be a physical release?
Old 02 March 2019, 21:29   #10
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
keep the instruments in the same tracks on all the modules
I'm not sure what you mean. There are always instruments playing on all four tracks/channels. I'm sure Gerrit knows when to use which instrument on which track.

Quote:
and manage properly the sound effects to not cut the main lead, it is very annoying, please do not make the same mistake in the sound of Trap Runner.
I do not want to stop Gerrit in his musical creativity by restricting him to less than four channels.

But I might have fixed an important issue in ptplayer today. From now on effects will never break a looped instrument again, except you have them playing on all channels at once. This can still cut lead notes, but only the short ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapiy View Post
will there be a physical release?
No.
Old 02 March 2019, 21:56   #11
arcanist

You've got a talented artist on board, there!
Old 02 March 2019, 22:34   #12
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. There are always instruments playing on all four tracks/channels. I'm sure Gerrit knows when to use which instrument on which track.

I do not want to stop Gerrit in his musical creativity by restricting him to less than four channels.

But I might have fixed an important issue in ptplayer today. From now on effects will never break a looped instrument again, except you have them playing on all channels at once. This can still cut lead notes, but only the short ones.

No.
I am very happy for you, team, to make a new game for Amiga. Just I want to help with the SFX+ingame music. In Golden Wing, we use 4 channels for the ingame music (channel 1, bass+drums mixed in the sample, channel 2, chords, channel 3, main lead, channel 4, main lead echo) so, we play the SFX on the channel 4, this cut the echo, but the main lead never get cut because it sounds in the channel 3.

We help each other to everyone keep improves every day, that's the way the Amiga community may work.

King Regards SFX.
Old 02 March 2019, 23:00   #13
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
You've got a talented artist on board, there!
Thanks. Indeed. Main advantage is that he is my brother, so he can't run away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
In Golden Wing, we use 4 channels for the ingame music (channel 1, bass+drums mixed in the sample, channel 2, chords, channel 3, main lead, channel 4, main lead echo) so, we play the SFX on the channel 4, this cut the echo, but the main lead never get cut because it sounds in the channel 3.
That's a very good idea! It is too late for this project, though, but I hope we can keep it in mind for the next one.

Quote:
We help each other to everyone keep improves every day, that's the way the Amiga community may work.
Absolutely! Thanks a lot.
Old 02 March 2019, 23:50   #14
amiman99

Looks very nice, can't wait to try it out.
Old 03 March 2019, 07:46   #15
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Well, in my youth i would have agreed with you, but now after heard what Martin Iveson did with only two channels in WolfChild, and several attempts to reach him (included but not limited to Barbarian+, R3D, Bridge Strike and Kiwi's Tale) i would say that limitations are actually stimulating on how to do better sometimes
Old 03 March 2019, 11:43   #16
phx
Natteravn

You are right! Those tunes are really good for two channels. But, IMHO, such a limitation produces a different style of song. So in the end you have to decide if it fits for your project (and whether your musician likes to do it ).
Old 03 March 2019, 12:52   #17
speshady

awesome work from you both, looking forward to finished game.
Old 03 March 2019, 13:24   #18
daxb

Quote:
Those tunes are really good for two channels. But, IMHO, such a limitation produces a different style of song. So in the end you have to decide if it fits for your project (and whether your musician likes to do it ).
Indeed. Four channels are already a very limit. Going down to three or two channels could be interesting but the musician really needs to like it. Back in the days I did some two channel pt mods for a game what was interesting but wouldn't do it more often. I also used the 2 effect channels for echo the other channels and some small music effects. Positive side effect is while playing the music becomes variety with clever composing.
Old 03 March 2019, 14:39   #19
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Indeed. Four channels are already a very limit. Going down to three or two channels could be interesting but the musician really needs to like it. Back in the days I did some two channel pt mods for a game what was interesting but wouldn't do it more often. I also used the 2 effect channels for echo the other channels and some small music effects. Positive side effect is while playing the music becomes variety with clever composing.
Anything that avoid the main lead of the music to be cut by SFX is nice.
Old 03 March 2019, 16:53   #20
Leffmann

It's looking really good!

IMO, with this being an original concept, with great graphics and no doubt great music too, and being 99% done, you've pretty much willingly passed up on the 1st prize in the EAB game making competition by deciding to not enter.