English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 20 January 2005, 01:52   #21
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
Ahh, Okays, Blood.

Now, I downloaded the ADV-pack, to use on WinUAE . . . (this was about 14 days ago) I thought it said the ADV-pack was set up with P96? well, I couldn't find it anywhere, so . . . I downloaded and installed it meself

Would there be any reason not to just include the package (not necessarily install it) on the "lighter" versions of Classic?
Bloodwych will probably put in better words, but what's the point?

The ClassicWB packs are for installation on a real amiga and P96 is not going to be needed at all. Bloodwych strives to keep the packs as simple and SMALL as possible while keeping as many superb features/functions as possible, there's simply no need for P96 on the packs designed for standard amigas.
Old 20 January 2005, 22:36   #22
Bloodwych

Thanks for the comments paul rt.

Doc, going with the real amiga packs, no P96 is definitely for the reasons KillerGorilla has kindly stated above – including it would increase the pack size significantly and very few people have use for it on real Amigas. Those that do can install it themselves.

However, I think you’ve got the wrong impression of where P96 is mentioned in the forums and webpage. The P96 files only come pre-installed with the P96 version of the ClassicWB, which is specially designed for emulators such as UAE.

Hope this clears things up.
Old 15 March 2005, 17:38   #23
Marcuz

i suggest to add a line with the date of the package on the site and/or a number version; i'm downloading right now the the classic-full to update my setting, but i'm not really sure that it is newer than the one i have. (i want to reinstall it anyway)
Old 29 March 2005, 14:45   #24
Conny25

Thank You!

This is great!Everything in this config is so nicely done,I'm impressed!
It surely needed a lot of effort to be done...
Thank you SO much -Bloodwych- for this excellent release!
Keep it up!

Old 30 April 2005, 22:51   #25
Bloodwych

Marco: under the pack download links is a link that says "Important information and UPDATE STATUS" Click it and then be amazed as it whisks you away to the ClassicWB forum where full update details are disclosed.

Conny25, thanks for the comments.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 30 April 2005 at 23:15.
Old 27 May 2005, 16:22   #26
rare_j
Zone Friend

Just a quick message to say I really like this set up. My Amiga has never worked better. Thanks
Old 03 June 2005, 23:22   #27
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Just downloaded and spent about 5 mins playing. God it is good to see an Amiga workbench again!!!

Few things I did and didnt like

Copper Background
Dopus pre-installed
All configured

Dislikes:

WTF is that Scalos doing in there?
Irritating but necessary (insert WB3 disk) but easy with WinUAE

What I would like though is to know HOW it is made. Perhaps be able to use that to do my own version. Your configs are nice but not what I would necessarily choose. A "creation guide" would enable me to do my own easily (say Install WB3, Add MUI, Add Dopus etc"

I suspect my personal config will be mainly a P96 one (cos 1280*1024 looks nice) where I can set up a WB-friendly BBS linked via telnet to the realworld!

a ste
Old 03 June 2005, 23:51   #28
Bloodwych

Thanks for the comments rare_j and Methanoid.

A few answers:

A P96 version of the classic workbench already exists. Links on the main page or this forum. Or here!

The workbench disk is necessary (as you mentioned) for copyright reasons and only a one time operation. After that you have a complete setup that can be copied to your hearts content.

What do you have against Scalos? – it has no drawbacks apart from perhaps Fblit issues. Scalos is an absolute necessary addition in my opinion and adds so many cool features, too many to list! See their Homepage. Nice draggable/ghosted icons, smooth scrolling window contents, new powerful system requesters, new prefs, better colour/palette control, fully configurable double click icon support, powerful multi right click menu system, new functions such as sort drawers/files alphabetically, no performance hit, very stable and compatible….the list goes on! In fact, a ScalosWB has LESS issues than one built with several third party programs that when combined offer SOME of these functions.

If you decide to make your own setup it can be a long road to get it up to high standards, but very enjoyable. I suggest starting by reading EAB FAQ and green alien guide.. Look at the pre-installed workbenches linked there and decide what you want to use for your own setup. After that, Aminet is your best friend.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 04 June 2005 at 01:12.
Old 21 June 2005, 12:27   #29
Marcuz

hey nice new package you have built, i want to try it even if i've already my fav ClassicWB setup, yours docs are still between the best ones.
Old 12 December 2005, 00:04   #30
Marcuz

as i've seen your last update, i would like to suggest a little redo of the colour scheme for the next version, so to make it stand out as unmistakebly new. something like the step from the blue WB 1.3 to the grey WB 2.0; one of the thing i like the most in Bloodwych Classic WB is the fact that as you see it loaded, you feel confident, it looks solid, it borrows the easyness of the original Workbench. so any change shouldn't be radical, it shouldn't appear as a badly themed version of Windows for instance. something subtle.
Old 12 December 2005, 00:12   #31
Bloodwych

Thanks for the suggestion Marco. I guess I could add options in the install procedure and let the user choose a particular theme. Do you have any colours in mind? Or post a pic of a theme you use? And are you referring to the real amiga packs (LITE, FULL, ADV, ADVSP), the P96 or all of them?

By the way, I've just re-uploaded the UAE/P96 packs as I didn't realize UAE complains if the RTG.library isn't replaced with the emulator friendly one.
Old 12 December 2005, 00:24   #32
Marcuz

only lite and full; the others two are already no more really classic, and they are apt to be customized by the user.
the install procedure is a nice touch, and there would be the need of some screenshot in the package to show the user how it would look the installed workbench.
if you want to push it further, there could be the choice between a bunch of them, like three dominant colours. there was a thread around with original workbench settlements; i remember the A600 with dominant green of Paul the Green Amiga Alien and a reddish-pink one by Akira. something like that.
my personal custom Workbench disk was not shockingly different, i had a very light grey as background, black and light pale green for the stuff around and some grey. the pointer was a rendition of Bullfrog' games one.
Old 22 December 2006, 01:22   #33
Marcuz

Bloodwych, can you please add a suffix to the downloads packs with the version? or, even better, the version number on the site, under the icons? and on the drop menu somewhere in the Workbench? i mean on the Workbench maybe it's better to wait for the next update...
Old 22 December 2006, 09:59   #34
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I've just starting using Classic Workbench - I went through the process of creating the zip file via UAE and then installing it to my real Amiga - when there are updates is it the case that the whole process has to be repeated?

Or is there an update patch that can be applied over the installation - which would be an easier process. I have started to install my own bits and bobs and dont want to overwrite all the things I add to the original installation.

Sorry if this is a question that comes up a bit... Classic Workbench is great BTW...
Old 22 December 2006, 12:27   #35
Bloodwych

marco, I don't want to add version numbers to the files names but I could place something on the webpage and on the drop down menus I suppose. I know you've mentioned this before and I referred to the "Information and Update Status" link on the download page. This whisks you away to a thread notifying users of update details, which I suggest people subscribe to.

Peter, people have suggested this before but it's just too much work and has the potential to cause problems.

I'd have to keep track of all the little updates and changes I make to all 6 packs, then copy across all the files that I've changed to an update zip. When people apply the update, it might overwrite some of their own personal settings and prevent programs they have installed from working properly.

You can make a quick update pack that simply overwrites the main files but has all the large files removed. Download and run in WinUAE as normal, then delete all the programs (except dopus) you already have in your current installation and perhaps the icons and wbgames drawer as well. Zip up what remains and run the installation over the top of your current workbench. Then use reorg or some disk defrag utility tidy up. If you've installed anything extra that has written to the startup-sequence files you may need to re-install and you'll lose customized settings (they will return to default).

I’ll move these posts to the feedback thread.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 22 December 2006 at 12:48.
Old 22 December 2006, 13:40   #36
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
marco, I don't want to add version numbers to the files names but I could place something on the webpage and on the drop down menus I suppose. I know you've mentioned this before and I referred to the "Information and Update Status" link on the download page. This whisks you away to a thread notifying users of update details, which I suggest people subscribe to.
sorry mate, i forgot about having already pleaded for it still the thread to which the "important info etc." bit points to, it only describes the new updates and the date of them, but you got no contest to that information as you don't know which release version you are using if you have not specifically kept track of them. that's why i guess the number release in a "about" in the Workbench drop menu and on the site would be perfect.

why it is needed besides the reason i say? well because Bloodwych ClassicWB is a so stable platform as main all purposes workbench (you can type documents in amiga exact formats as i do with the EOB translation; you can use it as a perfect WHDload base; you can use it for base for your paint and music programs, as, again, i do), i say, it is so that you end up for little touch of customization and personalization, the most important of which are those that requires work on the installation and dependencies, on the startup and user startup sequences and, hell why not? on the icons too. if ClassicWB gets updated, all that work needs to be redone, so you got to have all the facts to decide if it's the case or it is maybe better to wait for next release.

of course you can update every bit of what you have yourself, without changing the whole pack, but then, why to use an already done package as ClassicWB is?

Last edited by Marcuz; 22 December 2006 at 14:18.
Old 22 December 2006, 13:52   #37
Marcuz

here you go with 2 pics to support what i'm saying. I've long stopped heavy customizations, since when i converted the whole Gant icon suite for it only to break then the HDF which hosted the picasso version of ClassicWB, but 20% of what there is in it now comes from out of the package, considering also libs, devs, fonts, Whdload and its key, programs etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.png
Views:	941
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	12825   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.png
Views:	991
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	12826  
Old 22 December 2006, 14:06   #38
Bloodwych

I see what you’re saying marco and I’m happy you’re finding the ClassicWB so useful

I’ll add version number information as you’ve requested to the tools drop down menu in the top left hand corner of the screen. Shouldn’t take long, but I may not upload the new files until after xmas depending on when my connection is free.
Old 26 December 2006, 14:07   #39
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Any chance to add one spreadsheet program? (something like calc)
Old 26 December 2006, 14:45   #40
Anubis
Retro Gamer

One more thing.

Can you add P96 ClassicWB to the same download place as the rest of them. It was painful to download it first time.