English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 January 2021, 18:29   #61
zardoz
Zone Friend

I love and hate these lists at the same time. Some odd choices by people who have never played the Settlers, obviously ;-)

In order,

The Settlers
Sensi
Ruff 'n' Tumble
Populous
Robocod

Although, in fairness, I played these all on a 1200 but its the same experience on a 500, right?
Old 23 January 2021, 19:48   #62
alain.treesong
Aghnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
Although, in fairness, I played these all on a 1200 but its the same experience on a 500, right?
Yes, perhaps a bit less slowness in games like settlers or populous but not sure.
For the 3 others it is probably the same thing.

Now that I think back, populous must be one of the games I've played the most on the Amiga. If my memories are good there are a few things like several hundred levels and If I remember well, I went to the end. Really great this game.
Old 23 January 2021, 19:55   #63
lilwshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
see how it compare to the list here:

https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/
I haven't noticed that list before, 8 of the "30 votes" top 10 would also be in my top 10 (Turrican and Simon the Sorcerer would be nowhere near).
Old 25 January 2021, 11:26   #64
rabidgerry

Too late for polls but worth an honourable mention for Indianapolis 500. I always seem t go back to it and it's only got one track!!
Old 25 January 2021, 12:29   #65
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
I love and hate these lists at the same time. Some odd choices by people who have never played the Settlers, obviously ;-)
Well I didn't play it on the Amiga so I couldn't allow myself to pick it. And even then... the Settlers 2 is what made the formula juuuuust right for me.
Old 25 January 2021, 16:13   #66
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
3 votes for KO2, just had a quick check. Not a game changer lol, but still....

I'm enjoying it all over again playing it online, even though arse getting whooped
Yes you right! sorry I missed one. I will edit the previous list. Let me know if anyone else spots any errors.

The reason I didn't pick Kick Off 2 was because I had Player Manager in my list . But in my opinion it's a much better game than the original Sensible Soccer (never played SWOS). Much more learning and skill needed to play Kick Off. With Sensi I found I could score from the same point miles out almost every time with one of those hard curling shots (where you pull back on joystick to one side). Both good games tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock'n Roll View Post
Rock'n Roll
Yo! Joe
Solid Gold
PP Hammer
Soccer Kid
Rock n Roll - you win the award for most unique list!
Old 25 January 2021, 16:36   #67
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
With Sensi I found I could score from the same point miles out almost every time with one of those hard curling shots (where you pull back on joystick to one side). Both good games tho!
I remember Manchester United Europe having a similar problem. Just walk straight at the goal just above or below the edge of it, shoot and it would be a 100% guaranteed goal. Kind of made the game irrelevant. Perhaps I had an early release version of the game, I just can't imagine that such a game breaking flaw was left in a footie game.
Old 25 January 2021, 17:46   #68
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I remember Manchester United Europe having a similar problem. Just walk straight at the goal just above or below the edge of it, shoot and it would be a 100% guaranteed goal. Kind of made the game irrelevant. Perhaps I had an early release version of the game, I just can't imagine that such a game breaking flaw was left in a footie game.
Yes I guess there wasn't a huge amount of testing back then . In the original Kick off you could always score with that lob but it was a lot harder to get into position for that. In Sensi is really easy to get into the right position to execute that hard curling shot so it's more of a problem.
Old 25 January 2021, 21:10   #69
Fiery Phoenix

Agree - dont get me wrong Sensi is a great game and I understand the love for it, but I would always go for KO2

Although both on the same format it provoked arguments not seen since the ZX v C64 days!
Old 25 January 2021, 21:11   #70
Paul_s

Cannon Fodder
Lotus 2
Arabian Nights
Yo! Joe!
Wiz n' Liz
Old 25 January 2021, 21:15   #71
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
1. Chaos Engine - By the time this was announced I was already a big fan of the Bitmaps and so read everything there was about its upcoming release. The wait seemed excruciating, but the wait was worth it. Completed it with every character and I still feel like I haven't discovered everything.

2. Gods - IMO still one of, if not THE best looking game on the Amiga. I'm a big Dan Malone fan, but Mark Coleman absolutely created a visual masterpiece here. It still amazes me what he achieved with such a limited palette. It seems to divide a lot of people between those who can't bear the scrolling and its relatively slow speed and those that love it. No matter what new device I get that is capable of running some sort of Amiga emulation, Gods is always the first thing that gets played.

3. Speedball 2 - Not a fan of most sports games, but Speedball 2 is almost perfect. Amazing graphics and sound, superb gameplay, both single and multi, one disk and hardly any loading. What more could you want?

4. Cadaver - This type of game suits me perfectly. Kick back and take your time. Puzzles that are tough, but not insane, great graphics and awesome atmosphere. As you climb the floors of Castle Wulf you really get a sense of the characters and the story and it becomes a 'real' place that exists in your mind. I have never completed it and have been stuck on level 4 since the early 90s, but I won't cheat and, hopefully one day, I'll finish it.

5. Rainbow Islands - There's something about RI that just keeps pulling me back to it. Nauseatingly cute, but so playable and with loads of depth with all the collectables. It never feels unfair either. When I lose it's because I'm not good enough. I've never got past toy island so I'm clearly not great at it, but it's so good I keep going back to it.

5 isn't enough!
Where would Superfrog fit in?
Old 26 January 2021, 15:27   #72
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Where would Superfrog fit in?
It would be in the worst list
Old 26 January 2021, 23:32   #73
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

These five don't usually make it into the list but are nonetheless really good.
  1. King's Bounty

2. Paradroid 90

3. Battle Command

4. Fireforce

5. Corporation

Old 26 January 2021, 23:35   #74
roondar

Paradroid 90 is an awesome game. Couldn't get it to work on my A1200 back in the day, so I had to use my A500.
Old 27 January 2021, 10:56   #75
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
...Turrican 1 only has one vote.
too bad
still my fave game on Amiga, the beginning of all the fun

i have completed it a lot of times, much more than his sequel;
both milestones, but the first one...
better part of the game imo, as level+soundtrack combo, level 7 in this longplay :
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by kremiso; 27 January 2021 at 11:07.
Old 27 January 2021, 18:33   #76
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Paradroid 90 is an awesome game. Couldn't get it to work on my A1200 back in the day, so I had to use my A500.
Agree with this! Even the demo i got on a magazine - I played to death.
Old 27 January 2021, 22:18   #77
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
[*]Fireforce

Yes a great game. Until recently I couldn't get past the first level and I had to watch a play through. Really good. I disable to time limit though as I like to hang around and make sure I shoot everything and blow it up!

Battle command looks pretty good as well!!
Old 27 January 2021, 22:58   #78
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

A hint for Fireforce is that if you pull down as you fall, you can pass through some platforms. This is the only way to get past a wall in one of the later levels (Mission Group Zulu Mission 3: Designate girder bridge).
Old 28 January 2021, 11:52   #79
Michael G

May not be the best games out there but these are the ones I remember playing the most on my real Amiga 500

lemmings
Gods
Magic Pockets
Xenon
PP Hammer.
Old 28 January 2021, 13:18   #80
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
A hint for Fireforce is that if you pull down as you fall, you can pass through some platforms. This is the only way to get past a wall in one of the later levels (Mission Group Zulu Mission 3: Designate girder bridge).
Thanks for that