English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 February 2010, 12:28   #21
cosmiq

When I first loaded a program in AmigaBASIC, I didn't dare to run it because I thought it would consume all my printer paper (PRINT"this and that")

So I first removed all the paper from the printer.. jah..
Old 04 February 2010, 12:33   #22
BippyM
Global Moderator

A metal slide from a disk became lodged in my a500 drive.. I first tried to get it out with a knife (yeah!!) then I removed the warranty stickers and rescued the slider... Only I'd killed the drive with said knife... My dad was not amused and it cost £125 to repair a 1 month old Amiga
Old 04 February 2010, 12:36   #23
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
When I first loaded a program in AmigaBASIC, I didn't dare to run it because I thought it would consume all my printer paper (PRINT"this and that")

So I first removed all the paper from the printer.. jah..
Lol! I think you thought your Amiga was one of these:

Old 04 February 2010, 12:49   #24
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I remember mine well.
I still think that's logical enough for a "newcomer".

On my C64 I think my first game was Aztec, which was great, but I remember there being a seperate key to make your explorer run instead of walk. Anyway, I was reluctant to use the run mode too much as I was worried it might wear the computer out.

Look, the C64 made a huge clattering sound effect as the guy's boots pounded through those caverns, and it was a bit alarming, okay?!!
Old 04 February 2010, 15:17   #25
Silhouette

I spent an hour troubleshooting a slow computer for a relative before realizing that he had pushed the "turbo" button.
Old 04 February 2010, 18:01   #26
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
My first pc, for some reason I decided to switch the PSU unit from 240 to 110v. Obviously it blew the friggin thing and I had to replace it, lol.
Hehe - I blew my first PC by inserting a memory upgrade in the wrong way round. I realised my error when the mother board started smoking after turning it on..!
Old 05 February 2010, 15:04   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Inserting a game floppy my first PC and wondering why it wouldn't boot... The whole PC stuff made me feel very n00bish at first. Dunno, but maybe I just can't remember my early C64 days anymore, because there had to be some very embarrassing moments there too
Old 05 February 2010, 18:03   #28
Jonathan Drain

For the first month or so we had our Amiga, we held the mouse upside-down (rotated 180 degrees so up is down).

A few years later we found a teacher who did the same with the Windows 3 machines. His password for the school computers was "gold".
Old 05 February 2010, 18:14   #29
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

I recall not knowing how to "double-click" with the mouse to boot up an original of Arkanoid on Atari ST, a 3.5" disk in case (not box) that I still, yes, still have today, and it STILL works. The icon showed in TOS (or whatever the OS was called), and I just couldn't get it going.

moral of story: RTFM.

EDIT: this was when Atari ST was THE machine, and the Amiga was just around the corner, so sorry about the non-Amiga reference, but I believe the Amiga version auto-booted.
EDIT2: this was in ~1988.
Old 05 February 2010, 20:02   #30
Dan

Mine was on C64, trying to type the example program listings from the User manual.
- Not fitting lines in the book were typed as new line -.-
Old 06 February 2010, 01:14   #31
capehorn

Reading about Diskdoctor when I was about 7. I thought I would be a good idea to fix all my favourite games just in case they had any problems, so I spent an hour or so Diskdoctoring them all. Needless to say it destroyed the bootblocks on them and none of them would load

It was possibly the most devastating moment of my entire childhood realising that I, myself, on my own, but unwittingly, had destroyed my entire games collection!

My mother spent a week writing letters to all the game companies explaining what had happened and sent the disks back to them. Most of them sent replacements

I believe she also wrote a letter to Amiga Format warning people aganist doing the same, and they printed it!
Old 06 February 2010, 13:03   #32
zipper

Not embarassing, but surprising: I could fix a corrupted Lotus I disk with Diskdoctor so it could play the first part. Later with DiskSalv it could be totally fixed
Old 07 February 2010, 10:51   #33
Npl

hmm, cant remember my first time computer moments, but I remember the first time I played a game online.
UT`99 to be exact, I joined on of the many servers and started talking to the other players. They never responded, no matter how hard i asked for some replies... some minutes later I realized they suspiciously had the same names as the bots in the offline modes.
Old 07 February 2010, 12:58   #34
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
This is a very entertaining thread and capehorn has the coolest mom ever!
Old 07 February 2010, 13:35   #35
capehorn

LOL, it was very endearing. I remember she used the phrase "Capehorn is heartbroken that he will no longer be able to play his favourite game..." in most of them!
Old 07 February 2010, 13:42   #36
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I cracked the first audio CD I ever owned trying to force it down into my Commodore 64's 1541 drive.
Old 07 February 2010, 14:50   #37
Ziaxx
Zone Friend

Good to see I'm not the only one with lame moments!

Back when I got my C128 in 1986 I was sitting around typing random "commands", since I didn't bother reading the manual that much, but I had seen some commands in movies like Wargames and others. Most of them gave me a syntax error in return, but somehow I managed to get into the machine code monitor by typing a randomly guessed command. Once in there I saw bits and pieces of crippled words. I was like "Whoa, I must've hacked into some top secret computer system just like in Wargames". That shouldn't have been totally impossible to do I guess, if it wasn't for the fact that I had no modem, I thought I got in there through the power lines...
Old 07 February 2010, 14:54   #38
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Npl View Post
UT`99 to be exact, I joined on of the many servers and started talking to the other players. They never responded, no matter how hard i asked for some replies... some minutes later I realized they suspiciously had the same names as the bots in the offline modes.

There is a server-side mutator for UT2004 which, among other things:
- can give random names to bots from a list that you create
- make bots "type" messages on certain events, such as being killed, killing a player etc...

So you could play on a server and have a bot called b1gn00b who tells "You new at this Npl?" when it kills you.
They even can react specifically when you type a message specifying their names.
Old 07 February 2010, 18:10   #39
Graham Humphrey

I remember when I first got my A500+, one of the first things I did was mess about with Workbench and not knowing what the Format option did, I inserted the Lemmings disk that came with it and, well, formatted it. Didn't realise what I did of course. I was only five at the time...
Old 07 February 2010, 20:44   #40
hit

i often used a wire to shorten some pins of the C64's userport to get a warmstart/reset - but once i failed. later i bought an userport-interface with a reset-switch, which was cheaper in the end compared to the repair-shop