English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 18 June 2021, 22:02   #3681
AMIGASYSTEM

On AROS x86/68k natively it has only one Datatype Descriptor called "Archive", see screenshot, but this Datatype only recognized some Archives.

I had fun creating individual Descriptors so that each Archive had its own icon and tool. In the end on AROS x86 I succeeded, see attached small video.

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test-Datatypes.avi

Now the problem is on AROS 68k where I use your library.

If you want to do some tests download the Nightly Build HERE and run it without modifying anything and then try to visualize an Archive or an image.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 30 June 2021 at 16:26.
Old 19 June 2021, 15:09   #3682
PeterK

Hi Carlo,

you're welcome as a new developer and your datatype descriptors seem to work very nice as shown in the video clip. I didn't check out the latest Aros 68k build yet. Maybe, I could try to find out how the Aros icon.library works together with the datatype system and which interface they use for that purpose, I've to take a deeper look into the Aros autodocs for the details.

Btw. the icon.library 46.4.545 has been released on Aminet now:
http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

But there is nothing new in the Aros version concerning DefIcons and Datatypes.
Old 19 June 2021, 15:46   #3683
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi Carlo,

you're welcome as a new developer and your datatype descriptors seem to work very nice as shown in the video clip.

I just found the tools der decompile and recompile automating the work with a Dopus4 tab, which everyone can do, see video

http://eab.abime.net/zone/CreateDatatypeDescriptors.avi

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 June 2021 at 16:17.
Old 19 June 2021, 16:16   #3684
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Maybe, I could try to find out how the Aros icon.library works together with the datatype system and which interface they use for that purpose, I've to take a deeper look into the Aros autodocs for the details.
I may be wrong, but a similar icon.library could also be useful on OS 3.0/3.1 that don't use the default Deficon.
Old 19 June 2021, 18:28   #3685
PeterK

Carlo, in your video example the archive "datatype" only seems to identify the type by the file name extension, not by the binary contents of the file. But icon.library needs a tool that examines the file data. Ok, usually the real datatypes are doing that, too.

There are some similar implementations for this file identification task already: the datatypes, DefIcons and the file types systems of DOpus4 and also DOpus5. People are inventing the wheel again and again.

There is an older version of DefIcons for OS 3.1 in the NewIcons46 package, but without a preferences program for defining new types.
Old 19 June 2021, 19:02   #3686
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes Peter that video was just an example (first experiments) using the "Pattern", if you use the "Mask" the archive is recognized with or without extension, see attached video.

http://eab.abime.net/zone/DatatypesDescrttors.avi

The only problem is that some applications do not recognize the archive without extension, of those tested only UnARC recognizes archives without extension, RNOArchive and ZuneARC recognize archives only if they have the extension.

Even Multiview with the Descriptor is able to recognize and display images with or without extension.
Old 20 June 2021, 22:46   #3687
PeterK

Looking into the Aros 68k sources I've seen that they use ObtainDatatype() in their identify.c code of the icon.library. Maybe I can support that as an alternative to the GlobalIdentifyHook function in one of my next versions?
Old 21 June 2021, 00:47   #3688
AMIGASYSTEM

You are a Great Peter !
Old 21 June 2021, 11:36   #3689
PeterK

Added icon.library 47.-1.546_68000

Some OS 3.2 users with a fast 68000 CPU (i.e. Minimig) complained about a missing icon.library that could be used on the new OS. Although I really don't like this conflict with the version numbers, I finally made a v47 prototype for the 68000 with support for the new DefIcons file type identification feature (the v47.-1 can also appear as v47.65535, that's the same, but -1 takes less space in the string and indicates that it's not an OS 3.2 library).
Old 12 July 2021, 00:46   #3690
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hello Peter, how do you do?
It's been a long time that I don't try a new library of yours and I've just tried the one of Aminet. I just can't believe that it snapshots the icons without converting them to less colors. That's wonderful, marvellous. Many thanks.
Thanks again
Old 12 July 2021, 01:03   #3691
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Wow, wow, wow. I didn't comment, but my main problem with OS3.2 over my distro was that very often when I was moving an icon from a folder to another, the system just hanged. For example, with your latest version on Aminet even, the TC020, it was hanging.
Now with your beta, I've moved the icons all around, changed them a couple of times... perfect. Great job indeed

And also, I should have said first. When I installed the files of OS3.2 (and changed the S-S, etc), the system was working more or less right, but once that I installed the roms (on WinUAE) it was crashing completely, even asking for a volume with an icon.library in Libs (and it was there). That was solved with your Aminet version, and now it doesn't hang when moving icons........... Perfect.

Well, now I would like to know why the dock of WB2000 dissapears from screen after like 10-15 seconds while it's in fact running. OS3.2 isn't fully compatible with OS3.9 or maybe with some programs.

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 July 2021 at 01:36.
Old 12 July 2021, 13:17   #3692
PeterK

Hi Retrofan,

nice to hear something from you again. In the past years I saw that you were logged in from time to time, but not posting very often. I hope you're well too and there was no serious reason for the lesser activity here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
problem with OS3.2 over my distro was that very often when I was moving an icon from a folder to another, the system just hanged. For example, with your latest version on Aminet even, the TC020, it was hanging.
It's always very critical to install a new OS over an older system, especially when that is based on many patches and enhancements like AmiKit or AKReal. Never do that with the Installer, it can only end in chaos. Sorry, I have no AmiKit or AKReal distro anymore, nor OS 3.2 to test such a configuration.

Quote:
Now with your beta, I've moved the icons all around, changed them a couple of times... perfect. Great job indeed
This statement confuses me now. Which beta (version, build number) are you talking about, there is only the 47.-1 68000 version available at EAB, not really suitable for your system, I guess.

Quote:
... but once that I installed the roms (on WinUAE) it was crashing completely, even asking for a volume with an icon.library in Libs (and it was there). That was solved with your Aminet version, and now it doesn't hang when moving icons........... Perfect.
OS 3.2 needs at least libraries with version 47 or higher, my older libs are not accepted anymore. TC020 is v51 and should work without problems. My FastWB version makes no sense on OS 3.2, because the new WB has been fixed already and avoids all these unnecessary redundant window and icon refreshes that older WBs did before. OS 3.2 should be faster and more responsive now with TC020 than v45.

Quote:
Well, now I would like to know why the dock of WB2000 dissapears from screen after like 10-15 seconds while it's in fact running. OS3.2 isn't fully compatible with OS3.9 or maybe with some programs.
Ok, I could play a bit with WB2000, but I have a different system, the best of OS 3.9 + 3.1.4. I don't know whether my config can reproduce this issue or not.
Old 12 July 2021, 15:17   #3693
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Hello Retrofan, I confirm WB2000 after a few seconds the ToolBar disappears but WB2000 remains running.

There are however alternatives, you can install Amistart or WBDock that work well, see my screenshot.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 July 2021 at 07:04.
Old 12 July 2021, 19:13   #3694
PeterK

Quote:
I would like to know why the dock of WB2000 dissapears from screen after like 10-15 seconds while it's in fact running. OS3.2 isn't fully compatible with OS3.9 or maybe with some programs.
I could reproduce it with my 3.9+3.1.4 system. It seems to be a conflict with the new intuition.library. If I remove that then the problem disappears.

The new intuition.library is already included in the 3.2 Rom, but the new features have to be activated or can be disabled in the IControl preferences with the option "out of screen window dragging" (Switch that off !):
Quote:
5.1 * What is the V47 intuition.library?

It is an update to the system library responsible for the GUI that
includes a couple of new features.

Among them, there is a feature to allow you to drag windows out of the
screen. It is now installed by default.

Still, it should be activated by the Preferences editor IControl
that now has a toggle option for out-of-screen window dragging, a
feature introduced in Intuition with the previous OS 3.1.4 update.

That said, window moves now "stick at screen borders", i.e. you have
to move "harder" if you want to move them across the screen boundary.
"How hard" is resolution dependent such that you should always travel
approximately the same distance with the mouse.

Courtesy of the new Intuition, by keeping the SHIFT key depressed
and clicking on the window zoom gadget, that window will be maximized.

Furthermore, it is now possible to resize windows by dragging any of
their borders. Additionally it is now possible for gadgets to specify
a mouse pointer when over a window. Note that all of these new
features first need to be enabled in IControl Prefs.

And last, but not least, Intuition allows windows to be iconified and
hidden by clicking on the new Iconify gadget.
Old 12 July 2021, 19:46   #3695
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

"can be disabled in the IControl preferences with the option "out of screen window dragging" (Switch that off !):"

Ehhh... No, I prefer to use another dock instead as I love the windows out of screen . But it's really nice to know that you can use it disabling that option with a click.

Yes, I think the same about installing OS3.2 here. When you have a system running right but with so many programs and things, it's easy that it won't work. In fact I first installed OS3.2 and I couldn't get it to work, so I installed it little by little (Libs, C, etc) and then I changed the s-s to charge the exec.library. Now that it works I've made a full install over AKReal and then changed to use my now working S-S. But it wouldn't work till I've installed your latest icon.library.

Also...¿does OS3.2 delete "Execute"?. I've reinstalled it on my system.

BTW your icon.library with OS3.2 in my distro keeps hanging the system (both; the TC020 and the beta 47.1-546). I thought I could use the beta, and the thing is that it works too. The problem is when I try to use CopyIcon, but not always. When I move there the icon I want to change the icon it freezes the screen. And sometimes just moving the icon from a place to another, just moving it in the same drawer even.

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 July 2021 at 19:58.
Old 12 July 2021, 20:08   #3696
Lisko

Os 3.2 doesn't have Execute in c: anymore, it's a rom resident command. Delete it from c: and will magically appear when you invoke it.
Old 12 July 2021, 20:49   #3697
PeterK

Quote:
I prefer to use another dock instead as I love the windows out of screen . But it's really nice to know that you can use it disabling that option with a click.
In case that it depends on this IControl option you could send a bug-report concerning intuition.library to the OS 3.2 team.

Quote:
BTW your icon.library with OS3.2 in my distro keeps hanging the system (both; the TC020 and the beta 47.1-546).
The 68000 version will always convert OS4 and PNG icons into ColorIcons!
Quote:
... The problem is when I try to use CopyIcon, but not always. When I move there the icon I want to change the icon it freezes the screen. And sometimes just moving the icon from a place to another, just moving it in the same drawer even.
Which screenmode? FBlit or CGX or P96? Which workbench.library version? It should be v47, is it? There are some known issues with OS 3.2 and older 2.0-2.1(or 2.x) versions of P96, but I didn't read anything about icon dragging freezes yet. The workbench.libraries 45.133-138 once had some copy issues.

Btw, you also have to update to the latest version of VisualPrefs from Aminet for OS 3.2. Did you do that already? There is a fix available.
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/VP-QuickFix

Please also read the OS 3.2 FAQ (Aminet).

Last edited by PeterK; 13 July 2021 at 18:09.
Old 12 July 2021, 21:50   #3698
AMIGASYSTEM

Retrofan to have a stable 3.2 system you have to start with a clean installation, if you mix OS 3.2 with 3.9 the system will be unstable, as mentioned on another post also the localization of OS 3.2 applications are not compatible with the 3.9 App.
Old 12 July 2021, 22:06   #3699
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Btw, you also have to update to the latest version of VisualPrefs from Aminet for OS 3.2. Did you do that already? There is a fix available.
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/VP-QuickFix
Please also read the OS 3.2 FAQ (Aminet).
Ups!. Nope. Thanks. Ouch! Readme?, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Retrofan to have a stable 3.2 system you have to start with a clean installation, if you mix OS 3.2 with 3.9 the system will be unstable, as mentioned on another post also the localization of OS 3.2 applications are not compatible with the 3.9 App.
That's where the funny part begins, right? . Edit: It works well enough to try to fix some problems.

EDIT: I've installed the latest VisualPrefs. I've tried copying and moving some icons. It was working fine but after some tries it finally crashed again like before. Workbench library 47.33

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 July 2021 at 22:29.
Old 12 July 2021, 22:50   #3700
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

EDIT: I've installed the latest VisualPrefs. I've tried copying and moving some icons. It was working fine but after some tries it finally crashed again like before. Workbench library 47.33

I don't have this problem, are you using the native OS 3.2 startup-sequence?