English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 27 January 2022, 18:23   #101
Mixel

Oh hey Acidbottle, after you left I realised I mixed up Camera interpolation and Sprite interpolation.. I thought they were the same option.

I *think* camera interpolation is the camera scrolls at 50fps when the game is running at 25fps.. And Sprite interpolation is the player moves at 50fps while the game is running at 25fps. I think in a 50fps game they're both unneeded? Going to need both for Wizonk so will be good to get to the bottom of.
Old 28 January 2022, 08:05   #102
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Oh hey Acidbottle, after you left I realised I mixed up Camera interpolation and Sprite interpolation.. I thought they were the same option.

I *think* camera interpolation is the camera scrolls at 50fps when the game is running at 25fps.. And Sprite interpolation is the player moves at 50fps while the game is running at 25fps. I think in a 50fps game they're both unneeded? Going to need both for Wizonk so will be good to get to the bottom of.
Basically, if you're running at a 25HZ mode:

- Camera Interpolation means that it'll update the scrolling at 50HZ (so if your camera is set to a movement speed of 2, it'll move 1 pixel every frame)

- Sprite interpolation is basically the same deal, on anything flagged as a sprite (won't work on bobs)
Old 28 January 2022, 10:54   #103
Toni Galvez

Nice work guys, please consider to get the correct phase effect that the original music has in the main lead, got it's charm.

It is easy, just sampling a note with the phase effect, the Amiga version can not sound worst than the arcade, come on.
Old 28 January 2022, 14:26   #104
acidbottle

Hey nik, many thanks for sharing that video, its an awesome job and helps a lot with knowing how to classify the game specs, really appreciate that

What Erik has created with Scorpion is nothing short of remarkable for sure, I think even anyone learning asm can benefit by making quick prototypes and such. Plus he is a cool guy!

Thanks Mixel and earok for clearing up the interpolation explanation, it will definitely be a great thing to employ in the right project.

Hey Toni, thanks for looking in. JMD is my main sound guy so will let him answer that one! There is some debate if the engine's player is occasionally dropping the 3rd channel. I must admit it might be project specific as in games such as Jackal, the audio seems to playback fine.

I may be able to finish off a 3rd and final alpha before gamejam, though no guarantees! Watching one or 2 peoples videos I noted some issues needing to fix to, the bonus music should stop after 1 playback, not play the next track for one haha! Sabreman also found the double death bug to, doh
Old 28 January 2022, 15:05   #105
nikosidis

acidbottle: You got the gameplay spot on!
When I play it for sure feels like back in the day in the arcades
Thanks for this port. Remind me of how much I love this game.

So many perfect arcade ports to Amiga recently
Old 28 January 2022, 17:23   #106
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
Nice work guys, please consider to get the correct phase effect that the original music has in the main lead, got it's charm.

It is easy, just sampling a note with the phase effect, the Amiga version can not sound worst than the arcade, come on.
Is a square with vibrato but starts at low volume then ramp up - tried to recreate with the commands - for better fidelity i might need a copy of the ROM to grab it with hoot, does anyone has it and can zone it?

Last edited by saimon69; 29 January 2022 at 00:17. Reason: better request
Old 28 January 2022, 18:41   #107
eispic

I download the Alpha02 Version, but when I play I can not jump. I am using Win 10 with WinUAE 4.9.1 and an XBOX controller. Anyone an idea why I can not jump
Old 28 January 2022, 21:32   #108
acidbottle

Am sorry you are having this issue eispic, it is the first time anyone has mentioned it before.

I will ask, do you have a 2 button controller and are the 2 buttons mapped okay, or do they function correctly in other games?

I use an old Xbox 360 controller with winuae, a and b buttons function as jump and throw axe/run respectively.
Old 29 January 2022, 11:09   #109
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Is a square with vibrato but starts at low volume then ramp up - tried to recreate with the commands - for better fidelity i might need a copy of the ROM to grab it with hoot, does anyone has it and can zone it?
Hello mate, I got the sample for you, I will send it to you later on, today.
Old 29 January 2022, 12:44   #110
UltraNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
Am sorry you are having this issue eispic, it is the first time anyone has mentioned it before.

I will ask, do you have a 2 button controller and are the 2 buttons mapped okay, or do they function correctly in other games?

I use an old Xbox 360 controller with winuae, a and b buttons function as jump and throw axe/run respectively.
Easy fix for this in Scorpion Project tab, tick both Fire 2 Jump and Up to Jump. While doing that fix maybe also tick Jump when button held, it works like autofire and feels nicer.
Old 29 January 2022, 13:22   #111
Toni Galvez

Here, get the sample, is a 16bit 48khz sample, you got to convert yourself to the freq. you are going to use.

http://https://mega.nz/file/0kEmzDjL...ndxO_d_Sfugrno

I sampled the sound from the original arcade. I use VGM Winamp plugin to mute the bass channel and get only the main lead.

So, now you can have this wonderful phase effect (arcade needs two channels to do it) in one Amiga channel.
Old 29 January 2022, 13:48   #112
eispic

Quote:

Oh Sorry Guys, now all is OK !!
Old 29 January 2022, 20:50   #113
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Excellent work @acidbottle, well done!

I think the only thing missing from this port to be absolutely perfect compared to the arcade is better/smoother archs when it comes to jumping, egg drops, projectiles and other similar stuff. I think with a bit of effort this should be doable now with Scorpion. Since you went the extra mile with this it would be a shame not to perfect that aspect as this detail is an important part of the arcade and game's overal feel.
Old 29 January 2022, 22:20   #114
acidbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Excellent work @acidbottle, well done!

I think the only thing missing from this port to be absolutely perfect compared to the arcade is better/smoother archs when it comes to jumping, egg drops, projectiles and other similar stuff. I think with a bit of effort this should be doable now with Scorpion. Since you went the extra mile with this it would be a shame not to perfect that aspect as this detail is an important part of the arcade and game's overal feel.
Cheers Tsak

I must say the "arcs" have been a bane of my life! I will not give up trying to prefect them but I've not yet cracked that particular egg yet, pun intended, if not funny.

The egg itself bounces at a few angles depending how its hit, including going straight up when hit directly from above. The most important was it always lands just in front of you, something I may be able to achieve with the cpu parent lock? Similar with projectiles, its so near yet so far. Best bet so far has been animated arcs, though this is something I constantly experiment with, have not found the perfect solution yet.

As a top tip for an arcade feel, if using winuae especially, settings are line mode double, full screen and have filter set to aperture1x2rb_aaron. Really changes the feel of the game dramatically.

A 3rd alpha will be up tomorrow, few more small things ironed out.
Old 29 January 2022, 22:47   #115
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Cheers Tsak

I must say the "arcs" have been a bane of my life! I will not give up trying to prefect them but I've not yet cracked that particular egg yet, pun intended, if not funny.

The egg itself bounces at a few angles depending how its hit, including going straight up when hit directly from above. The most important was it always lands just in front of you, something I may be able to achieve with the cpu parent lock? Similar with projectiles, its so near yet so far. Best bet so far has been animated arcs, though this is something I constantly experiment with, have not found the perfect solution yet.

As a top tip for an arcade feel, if using winuae especially, settings are line mode double, full screen and have filter set to aperture1x2rb_aaron. Really changes the feel of the game dramatically.

A 3rd alpha will be up tomorrow, few more small things ironed out.
Great!
I think I could live with the egg just being dropped at the same spot each time (though I guess that might be an issue with the skateboard being faster) so long as the arch is smooth and fine. Btw from a quick comparison I did, the character's jump anim feels a bit slower in the arcade as well.
Old 30 January 2022, 23:05   #116
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@acidbottle
Check your PM
Old 31 January 2022, 00:18   #117
acidbottle

Quick work! You rock saimon
Old 02 February 2022, 12:00   #118
acidbottle

Since im visiting this board and waffling in a bunch of threads, though Id post a quick update.

New music scores from Saimon now have a more arcade feel for sure, with thanks also to Toni for that. I hope you will enjoy them as there was a lot of critic for the sound. Frankly I wouldnt know where to start and game would be silent otherwise haha.

Ongoing adjustments to player character ongoing. Noted the jump was too high and a smidge too fast on the fall, compared to the arcade, so that has been altered. Started work on hitboxes for the egg, will end up being 2 mains ones but that arc .... damn <insert string of multicoloured language>...

The maps gfx for the first 3 entire areas, that is 12 levels, are now more or less complete. They are being populated with monsters and traps at a reasonable pace. If I can get more than 6 areas onto 1 disk I will attempt to do so.
Old 02 February 2022, 16:39   #119
nikosidis

Quote:
Since im visiting this board and waffling in a bunch of threads, though Id post a quick update.

New music scores from Saimon now have a more arcade feel for sure, with thanks also to Toni for that. I hope you will enjoy them as there was a lot of critic for the sound. Frankly I wouldnt know where to start and game would be silent otherwise haha.

Ongoing adjustments to player character ongoing. Noted the jump was too high and a smidge too fast on the fall, compared to the arcade, so that has been altered. Started work on hitboxes for the egg, will end up being 2 mains ones but that arc .... damn <insert string of multicoloured language>...

The maps gfx for the first 3 entire areas, that is 12 levels, are now more or less complete. They are being populated with monsters and traps at a reasonable pace. If I can get more than 6 areas onto 1 disk I will attempt to do so.
That is fantastic to hear. I guess it is not possible to upload updates to AmiGameJam anymore? Maybe you could upload here to The Zone?
Old 02 February 2022, 17:37   #120
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Here's my 2 cents on that: Instead of trying to programmatically create the whole arc (which I guess is the case?) try and split it to 2 seperate parts. Do the vertical (going up and then down) movement with animation only and then the horizontal with codeblocks. This way it will be 1000% easier to also create variable drop spots, linked to player speed or placement. Just make sure the whole horizontal movement lasts exactly as long as the whole going up&down anim and you'll have a perfect arc!

In my video below I do this very similarly with item drops:
[ Show youtube player ]