English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 24 May 2014, 15:52   #1
alphagemini

IDE Hard Disk drive installation

I have an Amiga 4000/040 and I have bought a 4gb CF HDD to act as a backup to the original mechanical HD. The installation is simple enough but the unit came without information about jumper configuration. Has anyone done this before? Please could you tell me what the correct arrangement should be? There are two jumpers on the board.

thanks in advance
Old 24 May 2014, 16:20   #2
thomas

Quote:
Please could you tell me what the correct arrangement should be?
How should we, without any information about the board? You can read the crystal ball as well as we can.

Could you attach a photo at least?
Old 25 May 2014, 06:59   #3
alphagemini

Thanks for your suggestion. It is very likely that someone has installed a back up HD and found the same problem. It may be that the original Connor HD blocks access to the new solid state device because of its jumper configuration. If so a picture etc would not be necessary, just a better knowledge of the system. I was hoping to transfer the contents of the existing HD easily, but clearly this is not to be so simple.
Old 25 May 2014, 07:45   #4
ajk

Well there are lots of different CompactFlash adapters which may have jumpers in whatever order. But generally there should be a master/slave jumper; your original drive is probably set as "master", so set the CF adapter to be "slave". Or both as "cable select" if you have the appropriate cable. Basic IDE stuff. You'll also need to partition and format the new CF card before you can use it (unless it was already set up for Amiga use by the seller).
Old 26 May 2014, 07:54   #5
alphagemini

Thanks ajk. I looked up the link and now have a way forward.
Old 26 May 2014, 14:52   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagemini View Post
I have an Amiga 4000/040 and I have bought a 4gb CF HDD to act as a backup to the original mechanical HD. The installation is simple enough but the unit came without information about jumper configuration. Has anyone done this before? Please could you tell me what the correct arrangement should be? There are two jumpers on the board.

thanks in advance
If it was bought from a seller surely its alerady setup correctly and has been tested.

What does Early startup menu say under boot.
Old 26 May 2014, 15:12   #7
alphagemini

It doesn't. The original Conner HD seems to block access to the new drive. I can get one or the other but not both. The Conner tech info page says that the jumpers should be set to master if another unit is on the same connector. After the holiday I will get back to Amigakit and try to sort things out. I'm sure it is a jumper problem with either one or both units.
Old 26 May 2014, 15:49   #8
thomas

Some old hard drives have different jumper settings for "master without slave" and "master with slave". The former ignores any other drive on the bus.
Old 26 May 2014, 17:38   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
It doesn't. The original Conner HD seems to block access to the new drive. I can get one or the other but not both. The Conner tech info page says that the jumpers should be set to master if another unit is on the same connector. After the holiday I will get back to Amigakit and try to sort things out. I'm sure it is a jumper problem with either one or both units.
Are you the one our support tickets at the moment?
Old 26 May 2014, 18:34   #10
alphagemini

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Are you the one our support tickets at the moment?
Yes thanks for your patience!!

Last edited by prowler; 26 May 2014 at 21:41. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 26 May 2014, 20:28   #11
alphagemini

I've managed to sort out the jumper problems, I think. I have not found a way of using Workbench 3.1 on my Conner HD to install the new solid state HD. So I am looking for the latest version of Workbench. Does anyone know where it can be bought? Or any ideas how to use the existing WB3.1 on my HD?
Old 26 May 2014, 22:00   #12
thomas

Open a shell window and enter

copy connor: solid: all clone

replace connor and solid by the volume names of the partitions.

Or use your favourite file manager (like Directory Opus) to copy all files with its attributes to the new drive.

In order to boot from the CF drive you have to change its boot priority in HDToolbox. Or just remove the Connor drive.
Old 26 May 2014, 22:36   #13
alphagemini

Wow, thanks, that sounds neat. Where do I find the names of the partitions?
Old 27 May 2014, 00:15   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Wow, thanks, that sounds neat. Where do I find the names of the partitions?
Theres a few different ways, I just use CLI info command.
It will list all drives connected.

Not sure that doing what thomas said is a good idea though, as it wont be clean. There is already data on the drive.
Old 27 May 2014, 08:07   #15
alphagemini

OK but will it make the initial installation? Surely the new drive can't be seen by the system until it has been installed? Is it possible to obtain the latest version of Workbench on floppies?
Old 27 May 2014, 08:36   #16
thomas

Quote:
Where do I find the names of the partitions?
They are shown on the desktop once they exist (see below).

Quote:
OK but will it make the initial installation? Surely the new drive can't be seen by the system until it has been installed? Is it possible to obtain the latest version of Workbench on floppies?
I think I misunderstood your question.

The harddrive needs to be partitioned before it has partitions. This is done by HDToolbox or a similar program.

The new drive should be listed as "unknown" in HDToolbox on the second place. Select it and click on "change drive type", "define new", "read configuration". Click on "Ok" until you are back on the main screen. Now go to "partition drive" and make the changes you like.

One important change is for MaxTransfer. Use the search function of the forum to find instructions.

Back on the main screen, click on "save changes to drive" and "exit". Now you have to reboot. After that the new partition(s) should appear on the desktop as "uninitialized". Select one at a time and choose "format disk" from the menu. Use Quick format only!

Note that all this is not related to WB 3.1. It just creates partitions. If you mark one partition as bootable you can boot from it. (Not that an empty boot partition would be of much use, but it does boot at least.)

The copying I suggested earlier "installs" the OS onto an already existing bootable partition.
Old 27 May 2014, 08:38   #17
ajk

3.9 comes on a CD. You can use a PC+WinUAE (or some other emulation setup) to pre-install the new hard drive if you don't have a CD drive on the A4000.

You can just use your existing setup like Thomas suggested. A Workbench install can be copied over to any drive and it will continue working. That's all the original install process does anyway - copies the contents of the floppies onto the hard drive. But the new drive should be empty, or at least not have a Workbench install on it to avoid overlap.

You have not very clearly stated what the new drive is, and what is on it, if anything. Maybe FOL knows more if you have a ticket open with them, but the rest of us are just guessing here. Anyway, the drive should show up on Workbench even if it is 100% empty. You need to partition (using HDToolBox) and format it (using Workbench), after which you can copy files over.

A Workbench installation is not needed on a hard drive for it to show up (it would be a chicken-and-egg situation when installing the first hard drive).
Old 27 May 2014, 11:43   #18
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
They are shown on the desktop once they exist (see below).

I think I misunderstood your question.

The harddrive needs to be partitioned before it has partitions. This is done by HDToolbox or a similar program.

The new drive should be listed as "unknown" in HDToolbox on the second place. Select it and click on "change drive type", "define new", "read configuration". Click on "Ok" until you are back on the main screen. Now go to "partition drive" and make the changes you like.

One important change is for MaxTransfer. Use the search function of the forum to find instructions.

Back on the main screen, click on "save changes to drive" and "exit". Now you have to reboot. After that the new partition(s) should appear on the desktop as "uninitialized". Select one at a time and choose "format disk" from the menu. Use Quick format only!

Note that all this is not related to WB 3.1. It just creates partitions. If you mark one partition as bootable you can boot from it. (Not that an empty boot partition would be of much use, but it does boot at least.)

The copying I suggested earlier "installs" the OS onto an already existing bootable partition.

Thomas its currently all setup correctly and partitioned.
It already has data on it.

He needs to supply workbench disks to install workbench of his choose.

This is starting to get confusing. Answering here and on our ticket system.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:52   #19
alphagemini

OK, the new drive has stuff from Amigakit already installed. As far as I can see all that is needed is to transfer Workbench 3.1 from my Conner drive to the new thing. Why is this so difficult? Bearing in mind that I know next to nothing about computers! The sad thing is that at some time over the last twenty years the discs got lost in various moves. Is it possible to recreate the discs from the stuff on the Conner HD? Amigakit say they can do the transfer if I send the things to them. If they can do it why can't I?
Old 27 May 2014, 14:27   #20
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
OK, the new drive has stuff from Amigakit already installed. As far as I can see all that is needed is to transfer Workbench 3.1 from my Conner drive to the new thing. Why is this so difficult? Bearing in mind that I know next to nothing about computers! The sad thing is that at some time over the last twenty years the discs got lost in various moves. Is it possible to recreate the discs from the stuff on the Conner HD? Amigakit say they can do the transfer if I send the things to them. If they can do it why can't I?
Not saying you can't do it, but if we did it, we can correct any potential problems that might exist, i.e. drive names, startup-sequence, etc etc.

The first challenge you have is, getting them to both work together.
i.e. boot from conner and have CF HDD show up on workbench screen.