English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 November 2007, 20:18   #1
@UAE

Send a message via ICQ to @UAE
SD Flash Memory to IDE Adapter act as Hard Disk upto 8G

Did anyone tried this adapter with Amiga ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SD-Flash-Memo...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08 November 2007, 20:20   #2
thomas

I cannot imagine any reason why it should not work.
Old 08 November 2007, 21:52   #3
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

Thats nice, I do remember using a SD to CF adaptor then my CF to IDE adaptor in my Amiga 1200 and that worked fine so I guess a SD to IDE would work and cut down the mess too
Old 27 November 2007, 19:42   #4
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by @UAE View Post
Did anyone tried this adapter with Amiga ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SD-Flash-Memo...QQcmdZViewItem

tested today in a1200, works! (w. 1GB goodram SD)
Old 27 November 2007, 20:34   #5
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hmm, nice...
...and smaller holes to cut!
Old 27 November 2007, 20:41   #6
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

dammit and i just installed the CF adaptor!!!

oh well... something to upgrade to when my CF cards die i suppose.... assumeing something else isnt along by then!
Old 27 November 2007, 20:44   #7
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Why does it say "up to 8 GB"?
Why not "up to 128 GB" or "up to infinity GB"?
Old 28 November 2007, 00:05   #8
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer View Post
Why does it say "up to 8 GB"?
Why not "up to 128 GB" or "up to infinity GB"?

its a limit of the controller itself by the looks of it.
Old 28 November 2007, 00:17   #9
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

So when they come out with 16GB flashcards I must go out and buy yet another adapter ?!?
Old 28 November 2007, 06:37   #10
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
this adapter cost almost NOTHING
Old 28 November 2007, 06:42   #11
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I think 8 gb is enough for most amiga purposes. I just bought two I hope it works. now to find some 4gb sd cards ...
Old 08 December 2007, 20:20   #12
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I cannot imagine any reason why it should not work.
You mean for A1200/A600 and later. For earlier Amigas, there's every reason why it wouldn't work... or at least some say so
Old 08 December 2007, 20:49   #13
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
You mean for A1200/A600 and later. For earlier Amigas, there's every reason why it wouldn't work... or at least some say so
There's an IDE controller/adapter available for every Amiga. I guess that was a prerequisite for it working anyway?
Old 09 December 2007, 07:21   #14
OddbOd

Ack! More advertising gibberish...

The controller chip on that board is only compliant to the SD Spec 1.0 meaning that the maximum supported capacity is 2GB any larger and you need SDHC support like this adapter from Addonics. There are 2.5" 8GB SD-IDE adapters available that take SD 1.0 cards but they look like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer View Post
So when they come out with 16GB flashcards I must go out and buy yet another adapter ?!?
16GB SDHC cards are already available, 32GB cards (the limit for SDHC) are mere weeks away according to Toshiba.

@Photon: There are also Solid State Disks available for every common interface, currently they are hard to find except from industrial suppliers but this will change as the prices have crashed along with all other types of flash memory applications.
Old 09 December 2007, 10:04   #15
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
btw, I got the adapter, and it's working ! but I guess it doesn't have master/slave settings, so I couldn't get it to work with other devices on the IDE port
Old 10 December 2007, 18:09   #16
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Here's one with master/slave switch. It has both 40-pin and 44-pin IDE ports.
http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...er/adidesd.asp

I'm thinking of getting this thing for my A500. I've got both 40-pin and 44-pin IDE ports on my A500 accelerator. I just bought a CF-IDE adapter last week (haven't got it yet) before I saw this SD adapter. Now I think I'll put a 4Gb CF card on my 44-pin IDE port and a SD adapter on my 40-pin IDE port. The 40-pin will have to use floppy power, so I think I'll remove the floppy and have the SD card sticking out the floppy hole for convenient swapping. I rarely use floppy anyway. Then I'll get a bunch of SD cards - and install each with a different Workbench/software setup - just like the old days. Those SDs even have write-protect tabs just like floppies! It'll be like the next generation of "disk" swapping. (...except with friggin huge 4Gb "disks", you don't really have to swap)

One question - is there any advantage of SD over CF? Or disadvantage? What about write-cycles/speed? I haven't found any sites comparing the two.

Also, it'd be nice if we could get a "SD cards that work" list going similar to the CF one.

Edit: Well, crap. It looks like the link I posted is the same as one OddbOd posted earlier. I searched hard for that damn link too. (...maybe I should just open my friggin eyes)

Last edited by mr_a500; 10 December 2007 at 18:37.
Old 11 December 2007, 05:21   #17
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Oh man, look what I just bought:

Now I'll have THE ULTIMATE backup/transfer for my A500. I can plug it into the SD-IDE adapter on the A500, then pull it out and plug it into a USB port on Mac or PC for emulating/backup/transfer - no USB required on the A500! I can say goodbye forever to slow tedious serial transfer and floppy copy.

That's assuming the thing actually works, of course.
Old 11 December 2007, 10:06   #18
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
(...except with friggin huge 4Gb "disks", you don't really have to swap)
Lucky that because you can't hot-swap cards with that adapter.
Quote:
One question - is there any advantage of SD over CF? Or disadvantage? What about write-cycles/speed? I haven't found any sites comparing the two.
Not really, the variation between individual product lines in both cards and readers is so large that unless you are buying the top shelf gear (in which case CF is faster) it's not worth worrying about.

CF can be faster because of it's wider data bus but most people use USB2.0 readers so that's where the bottleneck will be, for your particular application there would be no noticeable difference in performance. Life expectancy should be the same for both formats, keep in mind that the contacts on the card will wear out long before the flash memory fails even under heavy use.
Old 11 December 2007, 10:44   #19
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Lucky that because you can't hot-swap cards with that adapter.
Yes, I read that. I meant swapping after turning off Amiga.

One problem I'm thinking about with transfers - if the SD card is Amiga-formatted, will Windows detect it when plugged in? WinUAE can mount Amiga-formatted drives, but will it be detected as a drive when connected to USB? I read that Linux can read Amiga FFS, but can Mac? If not, my dream of fast easy transfers is still screwed.

Damn, I wish other OSes had a simple way of adding filesystem drivers. On Amiga, you just throw a couple files into the L folder.
Old 11 December 2007, 16:25   #20
OddbOd

Quote:
will Windows detect it when plugged in?
It will recognise the media but obviously it can't read the filesystem, as long as Windows doesn't try and format it or screw around with the RDB (Win95 is known to do this) you should be fine.
Quote:
WinUAE can mount Amiga-formatted drives, but will it be detected as a drive when connected to USB?
I don't see why not, I've used a thumbdrive setup as an RDB disk within WinUAE and that worked fine, unfortunately I don't have any USB interface on my Amigas so I couldn't test that side of things.
Quote:
I read that Linux can read Amiga FFS, but can Mac?
I've always been a little suspicious of the Linux FFS driver as it hasn't been touched in 10 years and there are no support tools for things like comments and protection bit setting (this is supported but the mapping back and forth is confusing), it does work but because it's a kernel driver it is not suitable for use on a Mac.
Quote:
If not, my dream of fast easy transfers is still screwed.
As long as you only use it under emulation then I still don't see any major problem. Actually, didn't you just say you were considering two card adapters? If so then format the system card as Amiga native and leave the other one as FAT which can be mounted on the Amiga without much difficulty, problem solved.