English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 21 June 2003, 21:34   #1
the wolf
Just Leeching

Street Hassle

After talking with Twistin in the Renegade 3 thread, I've searched for this game in HOL, but it doesn't exists...

I don't know if this is a commercial game or not, however...
I have the game, if you are interested, tell me something, I'll upload in The Zone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	streethassle.png
Views:	390
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	5229  
Old 22 June 2003, 04:18   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, this is another one I haven't gotten to yet (and looking at the screens, I'm rather glad of that...) Looks like the worst of beat-em-ups meet the worst of wrestling sprites. Or something.

The info on the game is
Street Hassle
Pub: Mirage Software
Dev: World Software
Language: Polish

The crack appeared in January of 1995, and since Mystic weren't famous for 0-day fast releases or anything, my guess is that the publisher shoved this thing out hoping for some impulse Christmas buys from parents who didn't know better. Heaven forbid, I seriously hope no kid received this miserable, wretched pile of dung for Christmas or any other time. An instant classic that belongs in every Amiga user's Top One Worst Games Of All-Time list. Mirage saw much better days than this and one would be better off playing practically any SEUCK game than this AMOS-coded trash. No wonder it's so obscure! Player Hassle, more like. I don't remember if there were name credits after the laughable intro because I was busy hurling chunder during that part (yes, induced by the intro...)

Mirage should have opted for a game based on the 1978 record by Lou Reed...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	streethassle.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	5233  
Old 22 June 2003, 04:55   #3
the wolf
Just Leeching

Yeah, I agree totally with you. The game is CRAP. Definetly.

But if you need some reason to give some "pleasure" to your masochism, feel free to download this piece of s**t from The Zone...

I'm not responsable in any way of anything...
Old 22 June 2003, 13:34   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, I went ahead and created an entry for this dire rubbish.

HOL Database (id=4799)

Interesting to note that this game was done by the same team responsible for one of the other contenders for worst Amiga game ever, Franko: The Crazy Revenge!. I get the feeling "Street Hassle" is a sequel to "Franko"...

By the way, I went ahead and used your DBS since it kept me from having to play the game.
Old 22 June 2003, 14:28   #5
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
By the way, I went ahead and used your DBS since it kept me from having to play the game.
Good idea!
Old 22 June 2003, 19:27   #6
haynor666
retro maniac

Damn, I've forgot about this game. It's really crap.
Old 23 June 2003, 12:14   #7
Tim Janssen

Lightbulb It's a conversion

When I first read the topic of this thread, I thought it was about the C64 original Street Hassle by Melbourne House. Very strange that Mirage converted this game 8 years later to Amiga.
Anyway, the C64 original was playable (see pic).
Old 23 June 2003, 12:48   #8
blackcornflake

The game also existed for the Spectrum (see screenshot), and was generally regarded quite highly. Never played it myself.

Mildly curious about it now, especially having seen Tim's C64 screenshot (although I will heed the previous dire warnings and avoid the Amiga conversion). Let's see... it features a muscle-bound oaf running around in a pair of trunks, old folks causing bovver and a giant ape. How bad can it be?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	streethasslespectrum.png
Views:	326
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	5247  
Old 23 June 2003, 13:02   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I guess I just expect more from an Amiga game. Many old 8-bit titles simply didn't work when placed in a 16-bit shell. I usually won't even give mercy to a game from the 80's that is this poor, but in 1994?! I'd love to see the "Oh Dear" treatment for this.

BTW: Any of you 8-bit experts know which actual machine Street Hassle originated on?
Old 23 June 2003, 14:42   #10
blackcornflake

Interesting – the game also exists for the NES, and even (shudder) PC DOS machines, albeit under a different title, 'Bad Street Brawler'.

It would appear that the game originated on the C64, as the publication date is listed as 1987, while the Spectrum port was released in 1988 and the NES version in 1989. As far as I can tell, the game was written by the same team, Beam Software, across all platforms.

The game also seems to go by yet another name, 'Bop'n Rumble'. Not sure if this only applies to the C64 version.

Here is a page by the author of the C64 and NES editions, where he describes the writing process: http://www.tomheroes.com/Video%20Gam...trotimes13.htm

Here is a very amusing review of the NES edition:
http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm16.htm
Old 23 June 2003, 16:35   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
Here is a very amusing review of the NES edition:
http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm16.htm
Great review! My fav part:

Fun: 1/10
Bad Street Brawler still wouldn't be fun if you controlled it with the Nintendo Power Codpiece and it vibrated every time it sucked.
Old 24 June 2003, 08:34   #12
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: It's a conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
When I first read the topic of this thread, I thought it was about the C64 original Street Hassle by Melbourne House. Very strange that Mirage converted this game 8 years later to Amiga.
When I saw the screenshot I have to say that I thought of the C64 game too. Do you really think Mirage paid Virgin Mastertronic (or whoever owned the rights to the game at the time) money to do an official Amiga conversion? It would seem foolhardy given it was a Polish release only because how would they have made any money out of it?
Old 24 June 2003, 10:24   #13
Tim Janssen

Arrow I think it is an 'illegal' conversion

I think Melbourne House even don't like to be associated with this drivel on Amiga. Maybe this 'conversion' can be best compared with the Bignonia PD-releases of Bagitman, Popeye and Aztec Challenge. They never contacted the original authors but just put out a conversion.
Old 24 June 2003, 12:35   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: I think it is an 'illegal' conversion

Quote:
I think Melbourne House even don't like to be associated with this drivel on Amiga. Maybe this 'conversion' can be best compared with the Bignonia PD-releases of Bagitman, Popeye and Aztec Challenge. They never contacted the original authors but just put out a conversion.
Only I would imagine Mirage Media sold their conversion, since they were indeed a commercial publisher. Bignonia were scene coders who published their games on bulletin boards.
Old 24 June 2003, 18:28   #15
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
It would appear that the game originated on the C64, as the publication date is listed as 1987, while the Spectrum port was released in 1988 and the NES version in 1989.
Close. The C64 and Spectrum versions were most likely released for the Christmas rush in 1987. The respective versions were reviewed in Dec '87 issues of Zzap! 64 and Sinclair User.

If there's one thing I've learnt from my work on HOL, don't expect the (c) dates provided by the games publishers to be accurate even 50% of the time.
Old 24 June 2003, 18:48   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: I think it is an 'illegal' conversion

Quote:
I'm guessing Mirage's conversion was illegal too. At the time they probably hoped that a Polish-only release would escape the attention of the copyright holders (and of course it probably did just that!).

Could even be that some Polish PD group did the Street Hassle conversion (ala Bignonia), and someone from Mirage saw it and decided to make a quick commercial buck out of it during the Christmas '94 rush. Not bad thinking if that was the case. Whilst Amiga was on the wane in some European countries in 1994/95, I think it was gaining (or at least maintaining its) popularity in Poland, given the much higher prices of PCs and game consoles. Haynor might be able to tell us a bit more about the Polish Amiga scene in the years after C= went bankrupt.

Last edited by DrBong; 24 June 2003 at 19:26.
Old 25 June 2003, 09:49   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Re: I think it is an 'illegal' conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
Could even be that some Polish PD group did the Street Hassle conversion (ala Bignonia), and someone from Mirage saw it and decided to make a quick commercial buck out of it during the Christmas '94 rush. Not bad thinking if that was the case. Whilst Amiga was on the wane in some European countries in 1994/95, I think it was gaining (or at least maintaining its) popularity in Poland, given the much higher prices of PCs and game consoles. Haynor might be able to tell us a bit more about the Polish Amiga scene in the years after C= went bankrupt.
I considered that Mirage scenario, as well. The Poish scene was in its own little world, but damned if some of those 1994/1995 games were cool as hell. Very nice gfx and intros on titles like Wacus. It's a bit easier playing a Polish platformer than a Polish adventure, however. I still have a wants list here of Polish titles that I need to plug into HOL, as well as my MIA list. And I'm still looking for a cracked copy of Dan Wilder, too.

Another oddity in the Polish scene was that when the Amiga was on top during its peak era, the Poish scene was heavily into its 8-bit phase. A handful of the commercial Polish Amiga games were ported from the Spectrum!
Old 06 October 2005, 09:22   #18
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Someone have Street Hassle for Amiga? I love the C-64 version
Old 06 October 2005, 10:54   #19
superquake

Wasn't there a version of this on the C64 called "bob 'n' Rumble" or something similar?