English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 June 2021, 07:31   #1
scifi
Resurrected...

Question Best and most suitable LCD monitor (15kHz) for A500

Well, I want to know if there is an LCD monitor out there that it has been proven capable enough to display A500 modes, either in Workbench mode or game mode or any other special and enhanced mode available.

I have seen various videos on YouTube or read many articles on the mater but there is no definitive answer.

I need your expertise and your experience to guide me through.

If there is such a solution where can I find it in a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08 June 2021, 07:35   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
BenQ BL912 probably
Old 08 June 2021, 07:59   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

acer K242HYL works fine and it darn cheap. I could run mcgeezer Turbo Sprint (hires) and all standard games work on it from VGA.
Old 08 June 2021, 12:11   #4
scifi
Resurrected...

Thank you, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
acer K242HYL works fine and it darn cheap. I could run mcgeezer Turbo Sprint (hires) and all standard games work on it from VGA.
Do you have any idea where to find it?
And how much does it cost?
Old 08 June 2021, 12:50   #5
aeberbach

Lenovo T22i - here’s an album I made of the different modes.

https://imgur.com/a/W1rH4Lt

It’s a current monitor, you should be able to find it for sale new or used.

Also Benq GW2480 is current and is said to work but I have not tried it personally.

Last edited by aeberbach; 08 June 2021 at 13:19.
Old 08 June 2021, 14:17   #6
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Got the Benq bl712 and it works amazing with all of my Amigas.
Scrolling in games is perfect.
Old 08 June 2021, 14:33   #7
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifi View Post
Well, I want to know if there is an LCD monitor out there that it has been proven capable enough to display A500 modes, either in Workbench mode or game mode or any other special and enhanced mode available.

I have seen various videos on YouTube or read many articles on the mater but there is no definitive answer.

Thanks in advance!
Just double checking so youre aware of this fairly recent addition/hack that A500 owners can enjoy:
https://hackaday.com/2020/12/30/amig...daughterboard/

I myself use a Benq BL702A with the A1200 and it works fine but there are some annoyances.. (such as not remembering screen position between resolutions switching etc)
The Lenovo T22i is a modern widescreen monitor, but as shown by some other user here, actually seems to work better.. But price seems to be ~€300
Advantage is that it has both VGA and HDMI in so it could be more useful for various connectivity variants or if you have a PC connected to same monitor etc...
Old 08 June 2021, 14:53   #8
petarku

I also have Benq Bl702 with my A1200 and monitor is working pretty good. Just as people are mentioning , remembering screen positions is the problem and also ergonomics of buttons and menu , it is very easy to press button which will remove all your saved options.
Old 08 June 2021, 21:33   #9
scifi
Resurrected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
The Lenovo T22i is a modern widescreen monitor, but as shown by some other user here, actually seems to work better.. But price seems to be ~€300
Advantage is that it has both VGA and HDMI in so it could be more useful for various connectivity variants or if you have a PC connected to same monitor etc...
I just found it for 147€... should I buy it?
Is it performing well with games?
Old 08 June 2021, 22:29   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

I'd say that for 147 euros you can have a try at it. It will never be as good as a TV or CRT but it's a convenient and cheap way to display 15KHz VGA. The static pics look very good.

I've tried to find the K242HYL on-line it seems that it's not available (like the lenovo)

All references we're providing are probably not built anymore. But there are a lot of second hands to grab.

just to help you not to be able to choose http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=caveat+emptor
Old 08 June 2021, 23:46   #11
eXeler0

Quote:
I have no personal experience with this model. Looking at the images posted by the other user seems to suggest it supports a wide enough range of screenmodes and feature wise it offers several connectivity options.
However, from experience, I suggest you check the exact model number before you buy. From what I can tell the T22i exists in at least 2 different variants -10, and -20.
Syncing down to 15kHz is almost never a documented feature so double check with someone who has confirmed compatibility with Amiga exactly which model number they used.
Old 08 June 2021, 23:47   #12
aeberbach

Good point Exeler0, my Lenovo is "T22i-10".

Quote:
I honestly couldn't tell you, I haven't gamed much at all on my Amigas - I keep getting distracted by building things. The Lenovo is a very handy second monitor knowing that it can do Amiga but also is perfect for Raspberry Pi or any other temporary system I want to use. In terms of quality I think it's pretty good, I have never noticed blur or tearing in any application and I don't know why it wouldn't be good for Amiga games. Not as good as a crisp 19" PVM Trinitron after hours tweaking OSSC perhaps, but good...

Too many of the monitors listed on wikidot etc. were never sold in Australia. All I ever find when I search for the popular models like the older Benq screens is $150 shipping from international sellers :-(
Old 08 June 2021, 23:50   #13
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
I honestly couldn't tell you, I haven't gamed much at all on my Amigas - I keep getting distracted by building things. The Lenovo is a very handy second monitor knowing that it can do Amiga but also is perfect for Raspberry Pi or any other temporary system I want to use. In terms of quality I think it's pretty good, I have never noticed blur or tearing in any application and I don't know why it wouldn't be good for Amiga games. Not as good as a crisp 19" PVM Trinitron after hours tweaking OSSC perhaps, but good...

Too many of the monitors listed on wikidot etc. were never sold in Australia. All I ever find when I search for the popular models like the older Benq screens is $150 shipping from international sellers :-(
Which model exactly is it you have? The older T22i-10 or newer T22i-20?
Old 09 June 2021, 22:09   #14
aeberbach

My Lenovo is "T22i-10".
Old 10 June 2021, 09:56   #15
aeberbach

Just in case anyone was planning on buying one based on the wikidot entry - the Benq GW2480-T (Feb 202, rev 30-004-KA) does NOT display 15kHz video! Possibly an earlier monitor using the same major model number was tested.

menu system - average
controls - easy to press buttons, easy to find
stand - OK. Small footprint but does not adjust for height.
sound - excellent for Amiga, line in.
image - no Amiga video but if you use a scaler (like GBS8200) very good
Old 13 June 2021, 16:29   #16
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
My Lenovo is "T22i-10".
Found one new on ebay.. for €119.. ordered it, ill get back with some feedback in a while.
Maybe a youtube video.
Old 17 June 2021, 17:35   #17
brett71

If you're in NTSC-land, I recommend the Viewsonic VX2276-SMHD. This is a 22" LCD that can handle 15KHz. The 24" and 27" variants probably will also. I bought 3 of these for my ReAmiga 1200's to utilize the VGA ports. A DB23 to VGA converter would probably work fine for the 500.

There are a few caveats, though. Interlaced screen modes look like crap on it. Non-Interlaced looks fantastic, although slightly stretched. The monitor doesn't have any setting for aspect ratio. If your 500 has a Super Denise, and you typically use Hi-Res Interlaced for your Workbench, changing to DBLNTSC Non-Interlaced will give you a fantastic Workbench, but only at 4 colors. It's a bit of a trade-off. On the 1200, DBLNTSC Non-Interlaced works at 256 colors just fine, and that's my default setting on my 1200's.
Old 18 June 2021, 08:08   #18
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

Hi. Is this Acer have ability to display proper 5:4? And interlace fixed (like with SD/FF) or lacing?
Old 19 June 2021, 08:29   #19
hammer

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I have Dell U2311Hb (IPS) for A500 and Dell U2410F (IPS) for A1200.

Sharp setting to 0
Aspect ratio setting to 5:4

Hires Interlace NTSC works fine. Hires Interlace PAL looks crap.

A500's WB set to Hires PAL or Hires NTSC

A500's WB set to Hires Interlace NTSC or DBLPAL or DBLNTSC

Last edited by hammer; 19 June 2021 at 08:37.
Old 19 June 2021, 09:41   #20
peceha

Quote:
I mentioned about that monitor somewhere on EAB before: INFOTRONIC L2130S

You may like it because:
- it can display almost all amiga's resolutions (there is a problematic one: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91378 ), and in the video below you can see that 1280x512(256) shouldn't be used - the text on the screen cannot be read
- it shows LACED modes without flickering

Basic amiga's resolutions on Infotronic:
[ Show youtube player ]

now the "dark sides" of the monitor:
- because monitor is doing its own magic to hide interlace, there is a "comb" effect in games , but one can get used to it
- to have 640x256 or 320x256 shown correctly first you need to start 640x512 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89820) - so it means that bootmenu always comes in 640x200
- it is not modern thus the menu buttons sometimes work sometime don't (but they do work but not always)
- it is heavy (monitor+ stand ~ 16kg)
- it is big (21 inches)

One more good thing is you can change a lot in MonSpecsMUI and the monitr wiill still show the picture. Below is WB in 1120x750 (just a1200 and monitor - nothing else)