English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 09 May 2013, 23:36   #1
demolition
Unregistered User

Finished my A600 project

Just finished assembling my A600 with kipper2k's Indivision connector, and I think it's looking good with that VGA connector in place of the RF. It works fine with just one VGA screw available, so I am not going to cut in the case to expose the other one.

The A600 now has 2MB chip, Indivision ECS, ACA620 and 4GB CF, and is running great. Have run out of ideas of what more to do with the machine, maybe it's just time to start using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A600back.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	35335   Click image for larger version

Name:	A600inside.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	35336  
Old 10 May 2013, 00:19   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Just finished assembling my A600 with kipper2k's Indivision connector, and I think it's looking good with that VGA connector in place of the RF. It works fine with just one VGA screw available, so I am not going to cut in the case to expose the other one.
I have found that VGA monitor connections need screwing down only when the socket is in the vertical orientation, so your single screw down A600 VGA mod should be fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The A600 now has 2MB chip, Indivision ECS, ACA620 and 4GB CF, and is running great. Have run out of ideas of what more to do with the machine, maybe it's just time to start using it.
Yes, I would say so!

As long as we get to see some more pics!

Nice job, BTW.
Old 10 May 2013, 10:08   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Nice setup mate
You can also put the ribbon cable under the angled IDE2CF adapter.
Old 10 May 2013, 10:27   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Nice setup mate
You can also put the ribbon cable under the angled IDE2CF adapter.
No, it won't fit under there as the adapter is resting on the caps. Also, I want to keep the cable away from the MB as it tends to pick up noise which can mainly be seen when the screen is black. As it is now, there is very little noise in the picture.
Old 10 May 2013, 10:45   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Lookin good! The ACA620EC is a great little ugrade and the Indi ECS a great combination

@mfilos you're obsessed by that ribbon

(He keeps telling me the same, I'm keeping it messy on purpose now

@demolition, what Workbench/Screenmode are you running? With the latest core on the Indi ECS you can run SuperPlus (800x600)
Old 10 May 2013, 11:43   #6
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Steve u suxz0rz lol

Demolition mate, I sympathize and I know exactly what you're talking about.
That was the reason I guess that the BVision and CVisionPPC had an an insulation with metal wires inside their VGA ribbons to eliminate noise from nearby devices.
Personally I never had an issue with black and noise in my A600 though, but it's better to be safe than sorry

Looking good nonetheless \o/
Old 10 May 2013, 12:45   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@demolition, what Workbench/Screenmode are you running? With the latest core on the Indi ECS you can run SuperPlus (800x600)
Currently its running PAL hires (non-laced) in 8 colors. Been using Resource on it, and it is optimized for that resolution. I haven't tried SuperPlus on it, and I am not sure I really need a high resolution on it, but I will try it out and see what it looks like. I have my A1200 for high res stuff though.

Edit: Actually I'm running on the old 1.01 core since I had various problems with the two newer ones. The old one also has problems, but overall seems to work best. I just tried Superplus with it and it did give me a picture, although cropped a bit.

Last edited by demolition; 10 May 2013 at 22:39.
Old 21 February 2016, 02:03   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

Got a RapidRoad for the 600 a little while back but never got around to installing it - until today.

So now it got another upgrade as shown in the pictures. And now the VGA cable is beneath the CF card adapter. The noise seems to be fine now.
I removed the parallel port from the MB and put the USB ports in there instead since I don't like cutting in the case. And I doubt I'll ever need to use the parallel port in this 600.

I expect to get a Vampire II board in the near future, so perhaps this configuration will change then. I hope the V2 will work with the RapidRoad.

Edit: One issue remains - the hardware works but I have some trouble getting Poseidon to install correctly so it doesn't work after a reboot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A600_rapidroad.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	47596   Click image for larger version

Name:	A600_rapidroad_back.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	47597  

Last edited by demolition; 21 February 2016 at 02:08.
Old 21 February 2016, 02:13   #9
eXeler0

What kind of stuff can you connect to Rapid Road USB? (How "flexible" is the USB stack?) And what will be your primary use for it?
Old 21 February 2016, 02:26   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
What kind of stuff can you connect to Rapid Road USB? (How "flexible" is the USB stack?) And what will be your primary use for it?
I will primarily be using it for mass storage devices (USB sticks) and a mouse. A USB laser mouse runs very nice and smooth in WB.

I also use a wireless keyboard on occasion. USB won't work in WHDLoad unfortunately, but it is still useful to have in WB.

I guess it should also work with a USB ethernet device? Could be an alternative to using one in the PCMCIA port. It will also work with some USB serial interfaces if you want something that can go faster than the Amiga's own serial port.

A few weeks ago, I put together a USB HID Joystick adapter so I could connect an Amiga joystick to the PC and RapidRoad seemed to detect it just fine as well. Won't do much good as it can't be used in WHDLoad, and quite useless anyway unless your joy port is busted.

If it works with the Vampire 2 board, it should be able to play audio to a USB Audio DAC, e.g. mp3 files. USB Audio devices are accessible as AHI devices and while I can play a bit of noise now, it is very choppy since it requires significantly more CPU power to stream audio to it.
Old 21 February 2016, 14:13   #11
eXeler0

That's the thing... there are so many USB devices out there...Keyboards, mice, Ethernet, sound cards, storage, DVD burners and what not..
But how does one know what's gonna work with Rapid Road? Is there a list with compatible devices somewhere?
And I'm guessing each device that does something a bit more advanced would require additional drivers to work?
Old 21 February 2016, 14:56   #12
SkulleateR

Just have a look at google, there was a compatability list for Poseidon USB Stack some time ago
Old 21 February 2016, 16:19   #13
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
Just have a look at google, there was a compatability list for Poseidon USB Stack some time ago
Well, I *was* looking at this page:
http://www.e3b.de/usb/main_supported_e.html
but it seems it was last updated a decade ago, most of the stuff listed there probably barely exists anymore.. (hmmm. zip-drives, ey? )
Old 21 February 2016, 16:25   #14
SkulleateR

Friend of mine uses a Deneb with Poseidon and he barely came across usb hardware that isn´t working .... Poseidon is a fairly complete USB Stack

I just had a quick look and I can´t find the list I saw but yours really seems outdated
Old 21 February 2016, 16:34   #15
eXeler0

One would think that Individual Comp would keep such a list to motivate ppl buying their expensive card. But no...
Old 21 February 2016, 16:56   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Here's a screengrab from Trident, showing the classes that it has as standard.

It can give you a hint of which devices should work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trident1.png
Views:	341
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	47616   Click image for larger version

Name:	trident2.png
Views:	318
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	47617