English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 31 August 2022, 04:47   #1
rmcin329
NOOB

Some fan made zelda games with ports for amiga

I wasn't really sure where to put this topic, but i don't need help running the games, as i don't have access to OS 4 or better only 3.1 and below. I'm just posting this here to spread knowledge that these games have amiga versions at all.
I recently stumbled across some fan made zelda games that actually have ports to the amiga surprisingly enough. I can't try them on winuae myself as they need OS 4 or better and i can only manage up to 3.1. But i can still play the pc version of the games. I just wanted to mention the games here because i was quite surprised they had bothered to port them to amiga at all. You can have a look at the games over here http://www.zeldaroth.fr/us/

Last edited by rmcin329; 31 August 2022 at 04:55.
Old 31 August 2022, 17:12   #2
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
I can't try them on winuae myself as they need OS 4 or better
No, they don't:

https://aminet.net/search?name=zelda&desc=zelda+68k
https://aminet.net/search?query=zeldansq

Old 31 August 2022, 19:23   #3
rmcin329
NOOB

Yeah i hadn't seen those ports at the time, i was only looking on the site i mentioned. However i don't see the mentioned graphics cards, when i go digging around in the RTG part of winuae. Says they want CGX or P96, and i don't see either of those as choices. Never messed with that kind of stuff amiga wise. Can i even set that up on my 1.3 setup i have with winuae? Or would I need to use my 3.1 config that i have instead? I imagine it'd need my 3.1 config, but again i don't see the cards that were mentioned.

EDIT
Wait i didn't fully read the aminet page on those games before. Looks like they were tested with a 68060, and 3.9. I can only go up to 3.1, so not too sure i'd be able to run them.

Last edited by rmcin329; 31 August 2022 at 19:33.
Old 31 August 2022, 21:21   #4
rmcin329
NOOB

Okay i don't know where to go next, so i'm posting here again. I've installed picasso96 on my 3.1 setup, and also unpacked zelda ROTH. I saw this at the end of the picasso96 installation and didn't know what it meant. http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1661973598

I also see when my 3.1 setup is booting, http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1661973605

Clearly i've screwed up somewhere, i just dunno where.
Okay realized i forgot to set a card, set a uae zorro II one, still get the line about argument line invalid or too long, have no idea what that means.
Tried to run zelda ROTH after following the installation instructions, it just black screens with no error
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	036.png
Views:	94
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	76444   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.png
Views:	158
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	76445  

Last edited by rmcin329; 31 August 2022 at 21:45.
Old 31 August 2022, 21:57   #5
rmcin329
NOOB

Okay just needed to assign more memory, silly of me to not realize that sooner. Game now starts but gets stuck on the opening screen. It ignores mouse and joystick input, and only the escape key seems to do anything, which just causes the game screen to go blank. Would also like to find a way for winaue to not shrink to a tiny window upon starting the game.
I have read the userguide pdf on the game and i know the enter key should be acting as a confirm key, and does so on the pc version. But on this version, it just gets ignored.
Old 31 August 2022, 23:09   #6
rmcin329
NOOB

Not even sure what i configured differently, but i finally have the game functioning. Only issue left now is there is no sound or music. For this game https://aminet.net/package/game/role/ZeldaROTH-68k-US i did follow the directions for MIDI music, dunno if that screwed things up somehow or what.
Old 01 September 2022, 19:12   #7
rmcin329
NOOB

I've tried setting different sound cards from expansions, doesn't seem to help, still get no sound or music when playing zelda roth. Also tried going to the sound settings in winuae and switching it from paula to midi, doesn't seem to help either. Best guess i have is that i screwed up something with timidity, but i dunno.

Last edited by rmcin329; 01 September 2022 at 19:19.
Old 01 September 2022, 23:02   #8
rmcin329
NOOB

Installed AHI from aminet https://aminet.net/package/driver/audio/ahiusr_4.18 and now the sound effects function. Music on the other hand is still busted, doesn't work at all.
Old 01 September 2022, 23:58   #9
rmcin329
NOOB

I'm just totally out of ideas for trying to fix whatever the heck is wrong. For the time being i've reverted to a backup from before i tried to get this game to run. If anyone wants to try to help me fix this i'd appreciate it, would still love to get this game running correctly on amiga.
Near as i can tell, i had to install picasso96 and set up a rtg card, and AHI was what finally got the sound effects in the game working. Never did get the midi music functional, i'm assuming that timidity should have worked for that but i probably screwed up something when i set up it up, i really don't know. Anyway i'd really appreciate help in getting this to work the rest of the way.
Old 02 September 2022, 08:29   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

I remember trying to port those games on the Nintendo DS, and partially succeeding (they are SDL based).

I mainly gave up because they were horribly coded and full of bugs that crashed the NDS. I suppose that the amiga port suffers from the same issues.
Old 02 September 2022, 10:02   #11
Daedalus

Yep, these sorts of ports are a little more PC-style, so they're not coded to use the Amiga hardware directly, meaning they need faster CPUs for translating the graphics to the native screenmodes and often external driver setups like RTG, AHI and TiMIDIty. RTG in particular will make SDL ports much smoother than the native graphics. Still, at least AHI is something that can be useful to have installed on the system anyway and does no harm by just being there. It won't solve the music issue though because that's not what AHI does.

I don't see why you wouldn't always use an RTG screenmode and have AHI on a WinUAE setup, even if it's a separate "power user" setup. The larger resolutions and higher colour counts make most tasks involving system-friendly software much nicer. The MIDI setup might be as simple as setting up MIDI in WinUAE's settings so that the MIDI output gets mapped to Windows' MIDI system. And you set the screen/window size for RTG modes separately from that of native modes in WinUAE, so if the game is opening in a small screenmode, just choose full screen, or a suitable size for the window there. Ideally you want the window size to be an exact multiple of the game's resolution, so if the game opens a 640x480 screen, try 1280x960. Otherwise, to avoid jagged pixels due to uneven scaling, look at the options for RTG in the Filter section.
Old 02 September 2022, 12:36   #12
Aladin

Zelda ROTH 1 RTG (2017 Arti) [SDL]
Zelda ROTH 2 OLB RTG (2009 Arti) [SDL]
Zelda ROTH 3 TTT RTG (2010 Arti) [SDL]
Zelda ROTH 4 Navi’s Quest AGA/RTG (2019 Arti) [SDL]
Old 02 September 2022, 14:37   #13
rmcin329
NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The MIDI setup might be as simple as setting up MIDI in WinUAE's settings so that the MIDI output gets mapped to Windows' MIDI system.
No idea how to do that. I do appreciate the help though, and have changed rtg to display in full screen now.
Old 02 September 2022, 14:45   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
No idea how to do that.
In the 'IO ports' section you can set MIDI - Out to one of your available devices in Windows and check if that works.
Old 02 September 2022, 14:58   #15
rmcin329
NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
In the 'IO ports' section you can set MIDI - Out to one of your available devices in Windows and check if that works.
Okay that doesn't seem to work. However i double checked my assign for timidity and realized it was done wrong. After fixing that the music is now functional.
However.......The music sounds somewhat like when you turn the bass up too high or your speaker up too high. There's digital background garbage noise in addition to the music. Other games on the same setup do not experience this issue, indicating this seems to be something with just midi music most likely, though i don't have anything else that uses midi at the moment to test with.
Old 03 September 2022, 21:45   #16
rmcin329
NOOB

Fiddled with some settings, but can't seem to resolve the issue with the music, so been playing the pc version of the game for the time being.