English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 04 August 2017, 16:41   #1
Amiga1992

Custom controls on Amiberry??

I was trying to play with Amiberry last night but gave up soon as I was unable to setup custom controls for it.

I gave a look at the .cfg files, and the controller setup seems weird.

Basically I did two things, one, peek the configs to see if I could edit it by hand, but was met with a very cryptic config I cannot understand and one that does NOT seem to say which controls are mapped where. Just found the "friendly names" for configs but not the actual configs

The other thing I did is click the "Custom config" checkmark on the Input tab of the emulator panel, and assigned some actions to different buttons of the joypad. But after doing that, they don't work. I see them assigned in the .cfg file too, but they do nothing. I am wondering if the program actually knows what X, Y, A, B, L or R means.

The whole configuration for it seems weird. There're are options for "menu popup" and "emulator quit" on the control panel, but it didn't let me choose anything but buttons 1, 2 or 3 of my joypad, whatever those are. However if I went to edit the config manually, I added other numbers and it worked.

It does seem to be dragging a lot of leftover code from the Pandora version that needs some cleanup I guess.

Anyway, has anyone managed to set this up with their controllers? I want to have left and right mouse buttons on the shoulder buttons of my controller, at the very least.
Old 10 August 2017, 22:40   #2
Amiga1992

Nobody has ever done this??
I'm surprised about not getting a single response
Old 11 August 2017, 01:58   #3
ransom1122

It is a very messy process and I to could not get it to work properly. Email the dev he does respond. If you get an answer please share.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:09   #4
ransom1122

Looks like the dev is on hold due to personal reasons...

If you read below

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Amiberry-1...2921477/posts/

He talks about fixing the custom control section. I'm not on Facebook so I cant comment.
Old 11 August 2017, 15:34   #5
Genlock
Out to Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Nobody has ever done this??
I'm surprised about not getting a single response
hi Akira,
I tried for weeks when it first came out,and ended up pulling my hair out (almost )
but maybe this link might help - its only 3 days old so something is moving at last

https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues/118

I know its about the gameboy but it may lead somewhere,.

#midwan
Nice to see you back , i hope things go well

joe

https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues

Last edited by Genlock; 11 August 2017 at 15:37. Reason: some reading extra's
Old 11 August 2017, 16:15   #6
Amiga1992

Thanks guys.
What about the current config? Does anyone understand the freaking config? There's a million input fields but no real explanation of how they work and I cannot figure it out.

This is what happens when you take stuff originally for the fucking Pandora. Lots of leftover garbage code meant for it.
Old 21 August 2017, 21:38   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Did you guys try this: http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk/Hoste...iga/index.html

Check download section, with premade config files, as well game/boxart/snaps and logos info etc.
Old 22 August 2017, 22:40   #8
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Followed ETA prime's instruction with Horace's setup... and very easy to setup all 2K + games to run from EmulationStation with ease.

This is by far easiest way to setup Amiga on RetroPie.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 August 2017, 23:28   #9
Amiga1992

This doesn't solve the issue with custom controls. I already have RetroPie launching the games I need it to launch, but I can't control them properly.

I need to remap whatever I want to joypad controls. Video tself mentions mapping problems.
He is lucky enough to have a controller with both digital and analog direction controllers, I don't. Also he is using a keyboard too.
Old 23 August 2017, 00:11   #10
Sinphaltimus

I thought retroarch was the method of configuring controls for emulators in emulation station running on RetroPi? I haven't yet wrapped my head around retroarch yet but I think that's where your answers are.
Old 23 August 2017, 02:12   #11
rsn8887

No the Retroarch Amiga cores are much less developed than Amiberry, I don't think they are usable yet.

But Amiberry also needs a LOT of work, for example there is a very large audio lag and custom controls are broken.

I had to fix a lot of issues with UAE4All when I worked on the Vita port that Cpasjuste based on Uae4All2 for the Pandora. The required fixes included custom controls/joypad mappings, sound options/stereo support, multiplayer support with multiple controllers, mouse control via analog stick, virtual keyboard overlays, and screen display scaling and shaders.

Amiberry, which is based on UAE4Arm, which is a re-write of UAE4All, will need similar fixes in all of the above areas to become more usable. It will be a lot of work for Midwan, but in the end it will probably become a great emulator. It is just not there yet.
Old 23 August 2017, 02:25   #12
ransom1122

@rs - I have noticed much less sound lag when comparing it on a monitor vs a 4K TV. You should try it on a high performance monitor and see yourself.

As for joystick mappings. You should look at RetroX. Available for Android & Raspberry Pie. Though looking forward quite possibly looks much better on android.
Old 23 August 2017, 02:55   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Akira, each game has its own UAE file, that you can edit (multi-edit). Those files are what ES recognize as game and with those you can for example control what button is left and what button is right shift to play for example pinball game.

@ransom1122 - I have retrox on android devices (2x Amazon Fire, 1x Samsung Galaxy S7) and it has less options than RetroPie.

It does look promising, but development is bit slow, because all updates are done by one person.

It works great with console emulation, even PSX, but no virtual keyboard or easy to map button configuration.
Old 23 August 2017, 03:48   #14
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
@rs - I have noticed much less sound lag when comparing it on a monitor vs a 4K TV. You should try it on a high performance monitor and see yourself.
I never tried that. I doubt the TV is the reason because the other emulators on RetroPie don't have audio lag on the same TV.
Old 23 August 2017, 15:44   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Akira, each game has its own UAE file, that you can edit (multi-edit). Those files are what ES recognize as game and with those you can for example control what button is left and what button is right shift to play for example pinball game.
Even if you try to edit the UAE files, you can't change any input to a gamepad button. I know I tried, and this is what I ask in this thread. If anybody edited a uae config file to make controls custom.

You just can't make keyboard or mouse events be mapped to a joypad. If you know how/can, please explain here how you did it.
Old 24 August 2017, 14:06   #16
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Even if you try to edit the UAE files, you can't change any input to a gamepad button. I know I tried, and this is what I ask in this thread. If anybody edited a uae config file to make controls custom.

You just can't make keyboard or mouse events be mapped to a joypad. If you know how/can, please explain here how you did it.
I see what you are saying. I will test it tonight.

I remember that some staff was hard coded rather then using config files.

One thing that I would like to see on any Raspberry Pi emulator is option to run uae command, to change settings from within workbench. 2 settings in particular - change CPU speed settings and disable JIT on the fly.

I do this on WinUAE when starting/stopping WHDLoad games, to have it run as fast as possible while in workbench, and slow down when running WHDload game. This gives much better compatibility for games.
Old 04 December 2017, 19:10   #17
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

All of the issues here with custom controls are fixed in the latest Amiberry development branch. We have also introduced some level of retroarch controller integration.

It's not a retroarch emulator, but the controls setup stuff is nice enough for us to have used the setup conventions, rather than try to create something new. Maybe in future I will ad support for FS-UAE controller files also, as this was a big inspiration for the approach.

If we are lucky, we will try to have it pushed to the master branch by xmas.
Old 05 January 2018, 20:09   #18
Anubis
Retro Gamer

x-mass is in 11 months and 19 days... got to be patient!

Haven't tried Amiberry in while, now that I am done moving (for now), I should setup my RPi and test it.

Thank you!!!
Old 06 January 2018, 10:31   #19
jotd
This cat is no more

I love everything about the Raspberry pi except ... the controller issues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06 January 2018, 11:19   #20
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I love everything about the Raspberry pi except ... the controller issues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They say they have resolved the Joystick configuration issues in the new version of Amiberry. But I haven't seen the new version yet?